Community
Wiki Posts
Search

when can you cancel delta flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:20 am
Original Poster

when can you cancel delta flight

I have a short repositioning flight that I booked two tickets from different airlines just in case one flight is delay or cancel, then I take the next one.

one is United and one is Delta. They are one hour apart from each other.

I do not plan on taking the delta flight if the United flight is on time. So the questions are:

1. Do I need still need to check in and get delta boarding pass? Or can I just do that as soon as I know United flight is going to be delayed while at the airport terminal?

2. Once I board United, everything goes well with United, can I cancel the Delta flight at that time or no (as too late) to get the ecredit? This is not basic economy. When can I cancel delta flight?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 3:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by flybie
I have a short repositioning flight that I booked two tickets from different airlines just in case one flight is delay or cancel, then I take the next one.

I do not plan on taking the delta flight if the United flight is on time. So the questions are:

1. Do I need still need to check in and get delta boarding pass? Or can I just do that as soon as I know United flight is going to be delayed while at the airport terminal?

2. Once I board United, everything goes well with United, can I cancel the Delta flight at that time or no (as too late) to get the ecredit? This is not basic economy. When can I cancel delta flight?
1.) Yes you should check in. You can still cancel after being checked in.

2.) You have up to T-15 min I believe to cancel for an eCredit.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

You can cancel at any point. There's no cutoff with DL. Note for future, DL allows refund till midnight day after purchase on all tickets, regardless of how close to departure purchase is. BE on DL can be changed for a fee
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:14 am

Do I need still need to check in and get delta boarding pass? Or can I just do that as soon as I know United flight is going to be delayed while at the airport terminal?
I would hold off on checking in. Once you're checked in, you will have to contact Delta in order to cancel because they have to uncheck you before you can cancel the flight. If you haven't checked in, you can just cancel yourself.

With the flights being an hour apart, you should have plenty of time to check in to the Delta flight if the United flight is delayed.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLHubber
I would hold off on checking in. Once you're checked in, you will have to contact Delta in order to cancel because they have to uncheck you before you can cancel the flight. If you haven't checked in, you can just cancel yourself.

With the flights being an hour apart, you should have plenty of time to check in to the Delta flight if the United flight is delayed.
I read somewhere if I don’t check in, Delta system automatically cancels my reservation by certain time? Not true? Ideally yes I’d prefer to cancel on my own and get ecredit for future travel.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:35 am

I read somewhere if I don’t check in, Delta system automatically cancels my reservation by certain time? Not true? Ideally yes I’d prefer to cancel on my own and get ecredit for future travel.
The standard time is 30 minutes before departure for domestic flights. This page lists the airports that are different: https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in...estic-check-in
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The standard time is 30 minutes before departure for domestic flights. This page lists the airports that are different: https://www.delta.com/us/en/check-in...estic-check-in
Missing checkin doesn't mean reservation is canceled. Just means can't checkin.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Oh cool. By the time I board and seated on United flight then it’ll be before the 30 minutes cut off time for my airport. Thank you.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Missing checkin doesn't mean reservation is canceled. Just means can't checkin.
Are non-refundable tickets no longer forfeit upon no-show?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I am 99% sure I've canceled a DL flight on-line even though I was checked in?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:37 am

This is incorrect. You can still cancel yourself online even after you have checked in.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
This is incorrect. You can still cancel yourself online even after you have checked in.
The only time I ever tried to do it I was unable to. Contacted DL, and the agent said I had to be unchecked-in first. Once they did that, I was able to cancel.

Maybe it was something funky with my reservation. I hadn't changed the flight, but a comp. upgrade had already gone through.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Are non-refundable tickets no longer forfeit upon no-show?
Don't know if it is currently enforced, but the language still says they must be cancelled before departure to retain value.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-cancel/cancel-flight

Refundable fares used to require cancellation before departure in many cases to refund. But I do not believe this is not currently true for ex-US fares. (Fares from other countries may require cancellation before departure for refund according to fare rules).

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 20, 2023 at 10:53 am
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by xliioper
Don't know if it is currently enforced, but the language still says they must be cancelled before departure to retain value.
If enforced, I believe you are offloaded at the checkin deadline if you have not checked in. This would void the coupon if they are enforcing that provision.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
What if both flights are delayed?

Don't do this often, cancelling up to the last second on a regular basis will get you on the blacklist real fast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.