Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I tried to get the F seats but didnt have luck. I would try calling ahead of time (call the LA number). IF that doesn't work try at T72 and T24. Then ask at check in.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: DL diamond
Getting seats on Delta codeshare

Thank you for such a great write up! I will be flying China Airlines for the first time in a few months to TPE (YYZ-ATL-NRT-TPE).

In this case, didn't have any trouble getting seats on the China Airlines site using their pnr. Flight is DL codeshare, economy T.

(Was surprised it worked as I had been frustrated with KE codeshare flights earlier and finding out segments were their equivalent of "basic economy" and had wondered if I would find myself in the same boat.)

Wasn't looking forward to having to stop at a transit desk in NRT and with China airlines being in a different terminal that my arrival flight...
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:21 am

great post

Original poster is spot on. Just flew to Vietnam from LAX in premium economy. When you buy PE you get business class in the intra- Asia segments (CI just changed this policy so it's only for the high fare PE buckets, so lucked out by a few months).

PE I felt was almost as good as domestic first. Didn't get any extra greetings for being Skyteam E+. Lots of EQD for my $1500 flight ticketed through CI, but only 80% of EQM for PE as well as J. (This flight plus a DL PHX LAX mileage run met my gold challenge).

The Taipei terminal one lounge is absolutely amazing. The food is on par with a good Taiwanese restaurant, and the dishes are similar to what my relatives in Taipei cook for me. If you're used to Americanized Chinese (Cantonese) food, it may be different from what you expected. Agree that the dum sim isn't as good as say the Cathay Pacific J lounges where there's a private dim sum chef, but the lounge is a great showcase of Taiwanese food, and the decor is very, very nice. (Although I wish they had American newspapers and the Economist magazine).

Intra Asia in J I got the 777 one way which was fabulous with lie flat seats, can't wait to try it out TPAC; very comfortable seats. Coming back I got the 330 with older angled seats which definitely wasn't as comfortable but still very nice- three hours both ways to Vietnam from TPE on a $1500 total fare, I really shouldn't complain.

Was able to select seats in advance via CI app. One annoying thing was that DL didn't show me as ticketed and couldn't upgrade me PHX to LAX. When I checked in, they had to make some phone calls to "get me ticketed" and the gate agent applied my upgrade. Then when I got to LAX they had to reissue my CI boarding passes, kind of annoying. (The DL lounges at LAX are WAY better than TBIT Korean lounge).

FAs weren't inattentive to this Asian guy, for my first three segments they treated me just fine. I actually volunteered to assist for medical incident the first hour TPE-LAX so they were checking on me just about every hour to make sure I was comfortable Best service I ever received!

Agree with other posters that connections to US cities can be annoying. Because of my Vietnam segment, landed at LAX 9 PM, no Delta flights that night, booked a United 10:30 PM flight to get home. So it might be worth it to book a UA, AA, WN flight to get home if poor connections.

China Airlines is a hidden gem. Liked them just as much as CX for hard and soft product, lounges. Will definitely fly again.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by schistosomiasis
Original poster is spot on. Just flew to Vietnam from LAX in premium economy. When you buy PE you get business class in the intra- Asia segments (CI just changed this policy so it's only for the high fare PE buckets, so lucked out by a few months).

PE I felt was almost as good as domestic first. Didn't get any extra greetings for being Skyteam E+. Lots of EQD for my $1500 flight ticketed through CI, but only 80% of EQM for PE as well as J. (This flight plus a DL PHX LAX mileage run met my gold challenge).

The Taipei terminal one lounge is absolutely amazing. The food is on par with a good Taiwanese restaurant, and the dishes are similar to what my relatives in Taipei cook for me. If you're used to Americanized Chinese (Cantonese) food, it may be different from what you expected. Agree that the dum sim isn't as good as say the Cathay Pacific J lounges where there's a private dim sum chef, but the lounge is a great showcase of Taiwanese food, and the decor is very, very nice. (Although I wish they had American newspapers and the Economist magazine).

Intra Asia in J I got the 777 one way which was fabulous with lie flat seats, can't wait to try it out TPAC; very comfortable seats. Coming back I got the 330 with older angled seats which definitely wasn't as comfortable but still very nice- three hours both ways to Vietnam from TPE on a $1500 total fare, I really shouldn't complain.

Was able to select seats in advance via CI app. One annoying thing was that DL didn't show me as ticketed and couldn't upgrade me PHX to LAX. When I checked in, they had to make some phone calls to "get me ticketed" and the gate agent applied my upgrade. Then when I got to LAX they had to reissue my CI boarding passes, kind of annoying. (The DL lounges at LAX are WAY better than TBIT Korean lounge).

FAs weren't inattentive to this Asian guy, for my first three segments they treated me just fine. I actually volunteered to assist for medical incident the first hour TPE-LAX so they were checking on me just about every hour to make sure I was comfortable Best service I ever received!

Agree with other posters that connections to US cities can be annoying. Because of my Vietnam segment, landed at LAX 9 PM, no Delta flights that night, booked a United 10:30 PM flight to get home. So it might be worth it to book a UA, AA, WN flight to get home if poor connections.

China Airlines is a hidden gem. Liked them just as much as CX for hard and soft product, lounges. Will definitely fly again.
Great review. I'm tempted to just blow the outrageous 160k that it would take for me to go from SYD to LAX on them, just because.
schistosomiasis likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
If you do maintain dual status, I can confirm I was able to put both my AS and DL numbers in my reservation, and everything worked as you'd expect: SkyTeam Elite Plus recognition on CI, automatic advance MVP Gold upgrades on AS, and proper mileage credit to both programs. I did book with AS-coded flights, though; I wouldn't recommend booking the CI-coded connections unless you are trying to credit to the Dynasty FF program.
Are you saying I could provide eg my Korean Air Skypass details and Delta's and get mileage credited to both programs?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by aumelle
Are you saying I could provide eg my Korean Air Skypass details and Delta's and get mileage credited to both programs?
No. You cannot do that.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
No. You cannot do that.
Isn't that exactly what OP is saying though?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Isn't that exactly what OP is saying though?
No. He's saying he was able to credit the AS and CI segments to AS and DL, respectively. Which is exactly how it should work when you have flights from two separate alliances on the same ticket.
aumelle likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
No. He's saying he was able to credit the AS and CI segments to AS and DL, respectively. Which is exactly how it should work when you have flights from two separate alliances on the same ticket.
Gotcha, thanks! For some reason I read "mileage credit to both programs" as double dipping.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Gotcha, thanks! For some reason I read "mileage credit to both programs" as double dipping.
Yes, me to. I thought same flight twice...different airline (marketing carrier) flights in different alliances yes, it is possible to credit each to a different FFP. Then it is important to have the correct FF # on there with each respective carrier on their record by check-in time.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Right. In a hypothetical CI/AS itinerary, you could credit the CI flight to Delta and the AS flight to KE. But you can only choose one crediting program per flight, and if you are mixing and matching programs in the same alliance you need to be extra careful at checkin that the right program for each flight is reflected in your reservation and on your boarding passes.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Thanks to the OP for such a helpful post that informed a little inter-Asia run later this year.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Flying SFO-TPE-SGN in a couple of weeks in PE on CI. This thread has been very helpful. Question...my flight out of SFO leaves at 1:40 am, very early morning on a Friday. Will Delta let me (platinum medallion) and a guest into the Sky Club on Thursday evening (lounge closes at midnight)? Technically I won't have a "same day" ticket. We'll be biking throughout SF all day and I'd really like to take a shower before hopping on such a long flight. Neither the CI or AF lounges have showers. I appreciate any insight.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Teddy
Flying SFO-TPE-SGN in a couple of weeks in PE on CI. This thread has been very helpful. Question...my flight out of SFO leaves at 1:40 am, very early morning on a Friday. Will Delta let me (platinum medallion) and a guest into the Sky Club on Thursday evening (lounge closes at midnight)? Technically I won't have a "same day" ticket. We'll be biking throughout SF all day and I'd really like to take a shower before hopping on such a long flight. Neither the CI or AF lounges have showers. I appreciate any insight.
I don't see why not. As long as you're okay with trekking through security twice, it should be allowed per ST E+ access rules. DL has some red-eyes that depart after midnight and I've never had an issue with SC access the prior calendar day. Maybe call and ask?
Old May 29, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by Teddy
SkyClub will allow it... but you will have to clear T1 security to access the SC. If you don't have a boarding pass, you will need to get it from the international terminal. I worked all day and was yucky, so I used SkyClub first, before headed to CI lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.