Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Well I tried selecting seating for the CI legs when booking but they wouldn't stick. I got the record locator and tried to do the same on CI's website and those wouldn't save either. So I called CI, was put on hold for about 10 minutes, then told that the agreement between DL and CI is that seats can ONLY be assigned day of at the airport (like basic economy!). I confirmed that included J class tickets too. I then called the Delta platinum line and was told the same thing. So finally made a complaint to Delta Corporate, see if they care enough to respond.

My wife who is fluent in Mandarin called in for a different flight in August and got the same answer but then scolded them so they relented and allowed me to select seats. May have to sic her on them again, seems like the most efficient way!
Seat selection for CI flights works just fine at www.china-airlines.com for DL award tickets. Can only select 180 days out and closer in, though. But it works and sticks.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Seat selection for CI flights works just fine at www.china-airlines.com for DL award tickets. Can only select 180 days out and closer in, though. But it works and sticks.
+1. I don't doubt the other poster's experience, but it hasn't been a problem for me for J seats. Don't know how to explain the inconsistency.

For the semi-complicated Y situation I linked to, I called one of the US numbers (SFO office I think) -- had to call twice (there was subsequently a change of equipment) and both times got someone who spoke pretty good English, although my Mandarin is sufficiently passable (ABC) that I could have done it that way had it come to that
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by fly747first
I like CI a lot, except for the lounges at TPE which I find to be of very poor quality.
You've got to be kidding me!!! I am Diamond and fly SkyTeam constantly and CI's TPE lounge is one the BEST in SkyTeam networok! Besides being in the basement floor or above ground with dim lightening, both seating and food are miles ahead of Delta. Of all Delta lounges, the only one I think can get close is the new renovated Seattle lounge. The food option and quality at CI Lounge is legendary. I challenge you to find better food at any of Delta's outposts. The service is also very very good, they are constantly cleaning tables and replenishing food items...

China Airlines left the lounge dim because they want people to be able to nap if they want to. Also, if you visit them during banked flight hours then it's very busy, much like LAX, ATL, DTW during banked connecting hours.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wlau
You've got to be kidding me!!! I am Diamond and fly SkyTeam constantly and CI's TPE lounge is one the BEST in SkyTeam networok! Besides being in the basement floor or above ground with dim lightening, both seating and food are miles ahead of Delta. Of all Delta lounges, the only one I think can get close is the new renovated Seattle lounge. The food option and quality at CI Lounge is legendary. I challenge you to find better food at any of Delta's outposts. The service is also very very good, they are constantly cleaning tables and replenishing food items...

China Airlines left the lounge dim because they want people to be able to nap if they want to. Also, if you visit them during banked flight hours then it's very busy, much like LAX, ATL, DTW during banked connecting hours.
i think you may be talking about T1, which I haven't visited but appears to have a cool, almost cave like vibe. The photos are spectacular.

T2 is awful. The seating is worn and uncomfortable, the showers are in poor repair, and the upper floor is reserved for Dynasty members - CI shoves all the SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers in the basement, which is a narrow and chaotic corridor lit by harsh fluorescent fixtures.

The food in T2 is fine and varied enough, and I appreciate you can make a meal out of the noodle bar. But the quality isn't particularly high, and I wouldn't rank it in a different league from SEA/SFO. The alcohol options are far worse than DL, too (although who cares when there's Taiwan Beer on offer? )
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
The characterization of CA service by the OP here I wouldn't agree with. Yes, in the ground and transit at PEK is close to horrible and leaps and bounds behind TPE, but in flight CA has excellent product (often better than CI) and service. Certainly better than MU and DL.
CA better than MU, maybe on a good day. CA better than CI/DL?! You must be smoking something they gave you on CA. Even my die-hard CA coworkers complain about how bad CA cabin product/service are... CA is terrible beyond words. PEK ground sucks, lounge sucks, in-flight service is tolerable for domestic in China but total-avoid for international or long-haul flights.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Yeah, the TPE T1 CI lounge is easily my favorite lounge I've been in, including the SEA A/B and SFO Sky Clubs. It's not even close. (I will caveat that I have not been in very many overseas partner lounges though.) For me the subdued ambiance is a plus (and probably would be for anyone who hates the bright plasticky tone to the newer SCs).

There are showers, and I think two private rooms with a sort of chaise longue for napping (first come first serve) -- my mom used one the last time we were there.

I've been in the T2 lounge, and my suggestion would be to keep walking past it to T1
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Zorak
+1. I don't doubt the other poster's experience, but it hasn't been a problem for me for J seats. Don't know how to explain the inconsistency.

For the semi-complicated Y situation I linked to, I called one of the US numbers (SFO office I think) -- had to call twice (there was subsequently a change of equipment) and both times got someone who spoke pretty good English, although my Mandarin is sufficiently passable (ABC) that I could have done it that way had it come to that
The difference could be whether the flight was booked as a DL codeshare flight number (DL 9xxx) or whether it was merely ticketed by DL as an award ticket or connection (CI xxx on an 006 ticket)...
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
i think you may be talking about T1, which I haven't visited but appears to have a cool, almost cave like vibe. The photos are spectacular.

T2 is awful. The seating is worn and uncomfortable, the showers are in poor repair, and the upper floor is reserved for Dynasty members - CI shoves all the SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers in the basement, which is a narrow and chaotic corridor lit by harsh fluorescent fixtures.

The food in T2 is fine and varied enough, and I appreciate you can make a meal out of the noodle bar. But the quality isn't particularly high, and I wouldn't rank it in a different league from SEA/SFO. The alcohol options are far worse than DL, too (although who cares when there's Taiwan Beer on offer? ��)
T2 has multiple lounges, the one right after custom is the best... but I go to the one that used to service the DL TPE-NRT flight and it's fine... The food was great, perhaps you didn't check out all the food options or know how to order the noodles or know what you are ordering. Heck even the dimsum alone is better than anything Delta puts out. I think the issue might be you don't know what good quality Chinese food are... Taiwanese people are very food-arrogant, if CI's lounge food is not good, it'd be all over the news...

Seriously, both T2 and T3 DL LAX lounge are now serving packaged food!! I don't know why DL has a thing for gassy food items: beans, hummus, couscous, fibrous dishes are baseline for everything DL serve. I am a health nut but eating this much gaseous food is a horrible idea for flying... both for yourself and the pax that are next to you. Sine the May move, I hardly eat anything at the DL LAX lounges... They took away the espresso machine! That's the ultimate low-blow!

Last edited by wlau; Sep 17, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
The difference could be whether the flight was booked as a DL codeshare flight number (DL 9xxx) or whether it was merely ticketed by DL as an award ticket or connection (CI xxx on an 006 ticket)...
Ooh, good call. I have a trip with +1 in March that is SFO-SEA-NRT-TPE with the last leg in Y on CI codeshare with a DL flight number, will see what happens there. (2xGUC cleared SEA-NRT at booking)
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

T2 has multiple lounges, the one right after custom is the best... but I go to the one that used to service the DL TPE-NRT flight and it's fine... The food was great, perhaps you didn't check out all the food options or know how to order the noodles or know what you are ordering. Heck even the dimsum alone is better than anything Delta puts out. I think the issue might be you know what good quality Chinese food are...

Seriously, both T2 and T3 DL LAX lounge are now serving packaged food!! I don't know why DL has a thing for gassy food items: beans, hummus, couscous, fibrous dishes are baseline for everything DL serve. I am a health nut but eating this much gaseous food is a horrible idea for flying... both for your self and the pax that are next to you.
I may be guilty of not knowing the best Chinese food, for sure, but I can at least say I found the dumpling quality to pale in comparison with our one-two punch of Din Tai Fung and Tim Ho Wan before heading to the airport The CI shu mai in particular were pretty disappointing.

FWIW, DL LAX lounges are a bad comparison point right now because they're in such a transition due to the terminal move. Catering is WAY better in SEA and SFO, if you haven't been since the newest lounges opened; SFO rotates a full meal station between rice and noodle bowls, for example.

Can STE+ even get into the other T2 "Supreme" lounge right after security? We didn't even try because it was labeled as a first class only facility, so we ended up at the D4 lounge instead.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Zorak

Exactly. Both on CI and DL 006 ticket stock, I haven't had any problem selecting seats at <180 days out, both in Y and J, revenue (CI ticket) and award (DL ticket) flights. >180 days out I don't think it's allowed. Sometimes seat selection may not be possible closer in than 180 days if an aircraft change is likely. I think CI only allows to select seats when the aircraft on the route on that date is finalized. So, that may be it why it hasn't worked for the other poster...just a guess.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:24 pm

+1. IMO also, CI @ TPE is one of the best if not the best lounge in the SkyTeam network.

CA better than MU, maybe on a good day. CA better than CI/DL?! You must be smoking something they gave you on CA. Even my die-hard CA coworkers complain about how bad CA cabin product/service are... CA is terrible beyond words. PEK ground sucks, lounge sucks, in-flight service is tolerable for domestic in China but total-avoid for international or long-haul flights.
Well, most airlines are better than DL.

PEK on the ground and the CA lounges with many months past expiry date food and drink (e.g. the apple juice has become apple-flavored liquor, as it's two years past the best-by date!) and tiny and extremely hot shower is horrible, yes. In the air, CA has some really good crew - light years ahead of DL, who clean the lavatory after every use, keep your spot in line (if you go while someone else is in, they will tell you when it's open, and hold back other pax from using it; that's just one of the many nice things that CA and only CA crew do, even JL doesn't do that), and far better J product on the A330 than DL has on any plane (actual straight ahead facing rectangular seat, with enough room for feet and knees, vs. the mini-coffins that DL has). That being said, yes, on a good day CA - other than on the ground experience - is good. But you could get some not-so-good crew, and on many routes CA uses aircraft with older seating (HNL-PEK thankfully has A330s full time, the best CA J product at this time), and then it can be indeed even worse than DL, absolutely. Also on the flights to PEK the service is usually worse, as I don't know how it is on other routes, but on HNL-PEK the same crew goes back HNL-PEK as came in on PEK-HNL, and they are not even allowed out of the airport (I know as I had some crew remark to me that they really wish they could see what Hawaii is like, but that they are not ever allowed outside of the airport) - they just stay there inside the secure/int'l departures area for the ~7 hours that the plane is on the ground here, and so by the time of the 13+ hour flight back, the crew are understandably tired having worked for 11+h and having gotten less than 6h of rest (as much as one can rest inside an airport). So yes, CA is by no means perfect. But at least food choice wise, it's far ahead of DL and all US-based airlines and service wise also it is often far superior, and product wise also IF you are on the A330...but the frustrating on the ground experience and the inconsistent product really take it down quite a few notches. (Don't even get me started on the time it took me more than four hours to get a proper boarding pass, after wrong having been issued a STBY one in Japan by the ZH check-in desk. The CA lounge agent called like 20 numbers and had to keep yelling on the phone until she almost lost her voice for hours until finally I got a correct BP, just as the flight was starting boarding.)
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
The DL/KE JV is moving forward with only JetBlue complaining but I doubt US regulatory is going to get involved, so we're really only waiting on China to approve. MU is a Tier 1 partner but they've got a lot of improving to do. Unfortunately for me it doesn't look like CI is going to get any love from DL especially with the two above moving forward.

Why does China need to approve a DL/KE JV?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:55 pm

Those that claim CA is better than CI is just nuts. When I had to fly UA because my company prepaid a lot of money for UA discount, I had to endure CA connecting flights. It was awful. My mom, who flies on my miles for free and never complaints about anything, refused to fly CA, even for free. CA FAs only treat white people nice, they are racists - if they see another Asian face, they treat you like crap...
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:48 pm

I'm flying CI JFK-TPE on a J fare next month on CI ticket stock. Maybe I'll get access to the CI lounge just after passport control. The one in the basement when I flew DL (prior to them canceling TPE-NRT route) sucked. Long hall, dark, food is average at best....I don't get how that could possibly be one of the best. Maybe we're all talking about different lounges at TPE?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.