FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DM Upgrade FC Reductions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1866801-dm-upgrade-fc-reductions.html)

Alderma9 Sep 13, 2017 8:05 pm

DM Upgrade FC Reductions

Has anyone noticed a significant reduction in upgrades clearing for Diamonds in advance as well as at the gate. Being DM for the last few years I generally clear upgrades 5 days out, however recently I've been seeing flights with plenty of space not clearing in advance.

I know they continue to push reduced revenue seats over upgrades upgrades but I've now seen a $43 upgrade for sale and me not clearing in advance, which is just extremely frustrating. Maybe I'm crazy, but I personally have noticed a significant shift in my upgrades and have confined to not make any upgrades more and more.

I personally noticed a platinum clear ahead of me at the gate, which I also thought wasn't possible when upgraded at the gate unless it's a Y fare.

readywhenyouare Sep 13, 2017 8:17 pm

It's possible the PM was displaced from another flight where they had paid for an F seat. First class is sold for a much more reasonable price now. Upgrades will be few and far between as a result. A $43 upgrade (I've seen them as cheap as $19) is an excellent deal for someone with no status that needs to check luggage. You can upgrade cheaper than the price of checking two bags.

3Cforme Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Alderma9 (Post 28813153)

I personally noticed a platinum clear ahead of me at the gate, which I also thought wasn't possible when upgraded at the gate unless it's a Y fare.

The priority for Y fare upgrades ended.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html

MSPeconomist Sep 13, 2017 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 28813214)

Yes, and the PM who cleared ahead of the DM could have used a RUC. This would give priority for a gate upgrade.

Alderma9 Sep 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28813221)
Yes, and the PM who cleared ahead of the DM could have used a RUC. This would give priority for a gate upgrade.

I was trying to find the scenario in which they were upgraded before me. Generally I trust in their process of prioritizing, no matter how bad it has gotten, the in this instance I knew the person above me on the list was a lower class and still cleared ahead of me.

That and the changes that I've been seeing personally make me question what's going on. Perhaps it's just me.

readywhenyouare Sep 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 28813214)

Double edged sword. It stinks for medallions on last minute full Y fares but it was awful putting up with government employees and contractors flying on really cheap reduced Y fares.

jrl767 Sep 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Alderma9 (Post 28813238)
... I knew the person above me on the list was a lower class and still cleared ahead of me.

That and the changes that I've been seeing personally make me question what's going on. Perhaps it's just me.

while many on this board indeed consider DM to be a higher "class" of customer than PM, I would argue strenuously for use of the word "level" or category"

if OP is not of that school of thought, perhaps "had a lower inventory ticket" would be less controversial ...

MSPeconomist Sep 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Other words would be "tier" or "status", although "status level" would probably be the most clear way of saying this.

PHXflier Sep 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Has anyone noticed a significant reduction in upgrades clearing for Diamonds in advance as well as at the gate. Being DM for the last few years I generally clear upgrades 5 days out, however recently I've been seeing flights with plenty of space not clearing in advance.

I know they continue to push reduced revenue seats over upgrades upgrades but I've now seen a $43 upgrade for sale and me not clearing in advance, which is just extremely frustrating. Maybe I'm crazy, but I personally have noticed a significant shift in my upgrades and have confined to not make any upgrades more and more.

For me this problem is already at least a year old. Loyalty is not valued as much by the airlines as it used to, and as I am not a Delta captive, my airline choices are now much more influenced by price and schedule. As airline policies change, so do the preferences of customers. Delta must feel like they come ahead this way or they would have discontinued the ultra-cheap upgrades that are certainly not building loyalty among their long-term frequent fliers.

Paplover Sep 13, 2017 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28813221)

Last year as a PM I was using a RUC and was watching the upgrade list and went from 3 to 12 or something. Went to the GA to see what happened and she said she was protecting the upgrades for DM. Asked for a red coat and eventually got the upgrade without the red coat showing up.

MSPeconomist Sep 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Paplover (Post 28813652)
Last year as a PM I was using a RUC and was watching the upgrade list and went from 3 to 12 or something. Went to the GA to see what happened and she said she was protecting the upgrades for DM. Asked for a red coat and eventually got the upgrade without the red coat showing up.

Good for you for paying attention and challenging the GA politely to get the upgrade that you earned and to which you were entitled as a published benefit of applying your earned RUCs. One wonders whether that GA tries to rewrite the upgrade priority rules for every flight she handles.

Gig103 Sep 14, 2017 12:21 am

...I personally noticed a platinum clear ahead of me at the gate...

Usually when a thread includes phrases like this, or calling a PM/GM/FO "lower class", it's in the DYKWIA thread.

Alderma9 Sep 14, 2017 5:06 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 28813384)
while many on this board indeed consider DM to be a higher "class" of customer than PM, I would argue strenuously for use of the word "level" or category"

if OP is not of that school of thought, perhaps "had a lower inventory ticket" would be less controversial ...

Yes, I agree and did not intend that to read how I came off. It does sound pretty entitled and that wa not my intention. I truly am just wondering about what I see as changes and do not consider myself in a higher class. It should have said status/level

Orange County Commuter Sep 14, 2017 5:23 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28813692)
Good for you for paying attention and challenging the GA politely to get the upgrade that you earned and to which you were entitled as a published benefit of applying your earned RUCs. One wonders whether that GA tries to rewrite the upgrade priority rules for every flight she handles.

Probably to avoid the "I AM A DM" hissy fits....

(I now only fly about once every 6 weeks and at least once on every trip I hear someone who looks like an adult whining loudly about how they are DM and didn't get an upgrade. I feel sorry for the FAs and GAs getting this treatment on every flight! And yes, I have paid for a few because I know my status isn't going to get me an upgrade so I am part of your problem :) )