Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Connecting on separate (all delta) tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)

I booked tickets from KOA to LAX on delta using virgin Atlantic miles. No availability of course to book LAX to final destination (NY). If I buy a cash ticket from LAX to NY on delta, in the event our first flight is late and we miss our second flight, will delta still rebook us, or are we out of luck because the tickets are booked separately? I'm planning a longish (5 hours) layover but just in case. Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DM phone agents have told me that DL would rebook me in such cases.

However, assuming that you can fly on the same day, at worst you'd be eligible for SDC/SDS if space is available, while if there isn't space, you cannot be rebooked.

I assume that these are one way tickets, with the domestic segment after the international flight, right? RTs or changes to an partner ticket would be more complicated.

However, I'd be concerned about whether DL can see your DL operated flight since it used VS miles and presumably VS ticket stock, perhaps VS codeshare flight numbers too. Have you tried to "link" the itineraries?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

However, assuming that you can fly on the same day, at worst you'd be eligible for SDC/SDS if space is available, while if there isn't space, you cannot be rebooked.

I assume that these are one way tickets, with the domestic segment after the international flight, right? RTs or changes to an partner ticket would be more complicated.

However, I'd be concerned about whether DL can see your DL operated flight since it used VS miles and presumably VS ticket stock, perhaps VS codeshare flight numbers too. Have you tried to "link" the itineraries?
thanks. It's not an international flight. It's a flight from Hawaii to LA. Delta flight number and delta operated. Just had a bunch of virgin atlantic miles to use up so booked a partner award on delta through them. No VS codeshare.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

It's an award, so it's booked as the prime flight. There's one or two bizzare times this isn't true. However 99.9% of time codeshare flights will neverhave award fare classes.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's an award, so it's booked as the prime flight. There's one or two bizzare times this isn't true. However 99.9% of time codeshare flights will neverhave award fare classes.
Is this true for VS as well as SkyTeam partners? As a standalone VS award ticket, it would still have VS ticket stock and a VS PNR, so my concern about whether DL can see the ticket still holds.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Is this true for VS as well as SkyTeam partners? As a standalone VS award ticket, it would still have VS ticket stock and a VS PNR, so my concern about whether DL can see the ticket still holds.
Awards are always regardless of program booked under prime flight. Exception for one or two scenarios - ie AF codeshare on Air seychelles for example. Otherwise 99.9% of time codeshare flight won't have award fare class loaded. Otherwise DL could just open a reward seat by using their codeshare number. DL could decide to sell 5 J awards on KE metal for example.

Also would cause issues with partners. Ie the AF example means that as a DL FF you can book an award on Air Seychelles because the AF codeshare has reward inventory.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
DL is always going to be able to 'see' tickets on their own metal.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. So I have a J award ticket on Delta from Hawaii to LA. I booked the ticket using VS miles but it's delta operated and not a codeshare. It's just a partner award booked on the VS side. I plan to have a 5 hour or so layover and then purchase a cash D1 ticket on delta.com from LA to NYC. I can ask them to link itineraries. I understand our bags can be checked through to NYC but in the event of a misconnect, would we be OK? Maybe?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Be careful of the use of the word "connection". What you propose is not a "connection" but two entirely separate itineraries.

DL, as a general policy matter will rebook if you no show for your second ticket because of a delay it caused, but it is not obligated to do so. However, it can be a time-consuming and frustrating process while DL reinstates the cancelled no show ticket and locates space. You may also have quite a wait for D1 space and the potential of lousy Y seats because that is all that is left (if you need to fly immediately).

"Linking" does nothing. It is simply a note in the PNR notes with the other e-ticket number. Auto-rebooking and all the features of a connection won't work and the notes are only useful if an agent opens and reads them. But, you will be standing there to explain.

With that said, separate tickets is the only option here.

For what it is worth, how you paid for the award tickets, e.g. with partner miles, is irrelevant. A ticket is a ticket.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Be careful of the use of the word "connection". What you propose is not a "connection" but two entirely separate itineraries.

DL, as a general policy matter will rebook if you no show for your second ticket because of a delay it caused, but it is not obligated to do so. However, it can be a time-consuming and frustrating process while DL reinstates the cancelled no show ticket and locates space. You may also have quite a wait for D1 space and the potential of lousy Y seats because that is all that is left (if you need to fly immediately).

"Linking" does nothing. It is simply a note in the PNR notes with the other e-ticket number. Auto-rebooking and all the features of a connection won't work and the notes are only useful if an agent opens and reads them. But, you will be standing there to explain.

With that said, separate tickets is the only option here.

For what it is worth, how you paid for the award tickets, e.g. with partner miles, is irrelevant. A ticket is a ticket.
thanks. I guess we will space out the itineraries and just leave sufficient time.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Has anybody had more recent experience with this type of connection? Domestic, Delta-Delta, award-paid "connections?"

Curious if anybody has tried a BE fare -> award or vice versa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.