Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Think Skymiles Couldn't get worse? DL BLOCKING Partner awards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Think Skymiles Couldn't get worse? DL BLOCKING Partner awards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
This is great advice, and shocking that delta.com is worse than the app! What I am surprised by is how much DL has raised the cost of intra-China awards. It used to be that one hour flights in economy within China were like 5,000 miles and around 7,000 in first! Now, the prices have tripled or quadrupled. It's crazy how the general public does not realize how much Delta is cheating people without giving any notice or advance warning.
Many intra-Asia awards are now $0.005 per mile value, or worse. Horrible value, or rather, total lack of value.

Flight pricing there is very competitive, while the award cost using DL SM is astronomically high.

Other airlines like United are dropping the award pricing (United *A intra-Asia and intra-Europe awards for shorter flights will go down from 15000 to 8000 miles soon, often delivering a $0.04+ per mile value), while Dullta just keeps jacking it up. Totally out of touch with the market and its competition. Typical DL.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 18sas
Thanks! m.delta.com works and finds all of the options that i was struggling to find on delta.com. I've spent many hours on the phone with DL agents over the past several weeks trying to book partner awards. Wish I had thought of this trick sooner. Would've saved me a lot of time.
Can't search by flexible calendar month on mobile though right?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmontemb
Can't search by flexible calendar month on mobile though right?

Correct. And you can still do an "Exact Dates" search on the website, but you need to start with a revenue fare "Money" search first to do it.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
Correct. And you can still do an "Exact Dates" search on the website, but you need to start with a revenue fare "Money" search first to do it.
Which doesn't work for most partner routes.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
This works to/from USA but not for many partner only routes.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Which doesn't work for most partner routes.
If you are talking about routes where DL does not sell a ticket, you can first start the exact dates search between cities where DL does sell a ticket. When you get the flight listings, switch to the Mileage search by clicking the "Miles" link at the top. You can now change the city pairs to be the ones where you want to do the actual mileage search to perform an exact dates mileage search for them.

Let's say I want to do an exact dates award search between PVG and SYD for November 6th. If you start with an award search on these pairs, the website will bomb out with a "We're sorry, but there are not enough seats available on this flight ..." message. Since DL won't sell you a revenue ticket between these cities, do an exact dates revenue search for November 6th between PVG and a US city first. Once you have the list of flights, click the "Miles" link to get to the award flights search. Now you change the destination city to SYD and repeat the search and a get a listing of mileage option for PVG to SYD.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
If you are talking about routes where DL does not sell a ticket, you can first start the exact dates search between cities where DL does sell a ticket. When you get the flight listings, switch to the Mileage search by clicking the "Miles" link at the top. You can now change the city pairs to be the ones where you want to do the actual mileage search to perform an exact dates mileage search for them.

Let's say I want to do an exact dates award search between PVG and SYD for November 6th. If you start with an award search on these pairs, the website will bomb out with a "We're sorry, but there are not enough seats available on this flight ..." message. Since DL won't sell you a revenue ticket between these cities, do an exact dates revenue search for November 6th between PVG and a US city first. Once you have the list of flights, click the "Miles" link to get to the award flights search. Now you change the destination city to SYD and repeat the search and a get a listing of mileage option for PVG to SYD.
Since agents and delta.com use the same backend for searches, I'm curious if agents could get do something similar.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Yes, I'm having this issue too looking for flights too/from DPS to change since I booked the wrong week (Aus Open running earlier this year). The Plat rep I called and s/w was a bit condescending "you can search online" and I had not read this thread yet and was like, no I can't. I booked this online and then it's all gone. One way around it is to do a flexible date search for a DL metal portion and then when you get into a flight list, change the destination to one the partner serves and then search and you will get results. Convoluted. I'll try the app to see if it works better.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bergamini
Yes, I'm having this issue too looking for flights too/from DPS to change since I booked the wrong week (Aus Open running earlier this year). The Plat rep I called and s/w was a bit condescending "you can search online" and I had not read this thread yet and was like, no I can't. I booked this online and then it's all gone. One way around it is to do a flexible date search for a DL metal portion and then when you get into a flight list, change the destination to one the partner serves and then search and you will get results. Convoluted. I'll try the app to see if it works better.

The app won't really give any additional functionality since it can only do an exact days search. It will basically just give you the same results that you can get on the website. The point is the website will work once you get it into an exact dates search mode. You just have to take an additional step of starting the search with some other city pair and picking dates to get it into the exact dates mode (since the initial award search always defaults to flexible dates now -- even when specifying an exact dates search).

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 14, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LBJ
The app won't really give any additionally functionality since it can only do an exact days search. It will basically just give you the same results that you can get on the website. The point is the website will work once you get it into an exact dates search mode. You just have to take an additional step of starting the search with some other city pair and picking dates to get it into the exact dates mode (since the initial award search always defaults to flexible dates now -- even when specifying an exact dates search).
Dl App, and m.delta.com only have exact date mode. Thus no need to work at getting it to work.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
When doing exact date mode on mobile or app, is anyone getting issues with class of service on Int'l>Int'l legs? All of my searches are returning acceptable results from like ATL/ORD/JFK/LAX>PVG or ICN but then the leg to DPS on Garuda or KE are always economy even though it's pricing at a J level. And I'm seeing this on all dates.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bergamini
When doing exact date mode on mobile or app, is anyone getting issues with class of service on Int'l>Int'l legs? All of my searches are returning acceptable results from like ATL/ORD/JFK/LAX>PVG or ICN but then the leg to DPS on Garuda or KE are always economy even though it's pricing at a J level. And I'm seeing this on all dates.
Have you done a search for just the Garuda leg alone to see if there's J space available?

DL will return results with one segment in J and one segment in Y, if the Y segment only has coach award availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.