Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL and AF are "realigning class of service"

DL and AF are "realigning class of service"

Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Location: I have resided many places, but only ever lived in San Francisco.
Programs: UA, AA
Update

Hi All,

Thanks for your insight. I got another auto email update from Delta this morning with more info. The AF Premium Economy sectors now show as being booked in "G" class instead of the previous W, as other posters have noted. Also, it looks like my entire party have been reticketed on the same PNR, as we were all sent new receipts and new ticket numbers to reflect this change.

Interestingly, the AF website still shows my reservation as being "Economy", but figure I should keep waiting for the full 10 days to pass before calling to ask about it. The new email confirmation from DL shows my seat assignments have remained the same-- and those seats are blocked out on the AF seatmap-- but the AF site does not show them associated with my reservation, yet.

I'm hopeful though that this will all be sorted out and that DL IT know what they are doing. Would have been nice, though, to have some better communication than an email showing my party was downgraded without explanation, and if phone agents could have had more accurate info to share as well. Oh well.

So, looks like W class is no more on AF metal, as other posters have mentioned.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
This same nonsense happened earlier this year with DL coded VS metal flights. DL appears to have had an error in their pricing rules which excluded DL flight numbers in the VS and AF codeshare range for certain W fares, since DL was using W for C+ and AF/VS were using W for PE.

With mine on VS, they tried the same nonsense and I spent an hour with DL getting them to fix it (had to take an earlier flight, fortunately this was NYC), and then called VS and made sure it was indeed fixed.

This definitely appears to be an elementary error from DL's rate group, because airlines preclude certain flight number ranges all the time, such as the JFK-LAX flights.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
The insanity dates back to when Delta decided C+ was its own class of service and tickets bought in PE on AZ/AF/VS mirrored to Y on delta metal.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by drewsq
Hi All,

Thanks for your insight. I got another auto email update from Delta this morning with more info. The AF Premium Economy sectors now show as being booked in "G" class instead of the previous W, as other posters have noted. Also, it looks like my entire party have been reticketed on the same PNR, as we were all sent new receipts and new ticket numbers to reflect this change.

Interestingly, the AF website still shows my reservation as being "Economy", but figure I should keep waiting for the full 10 days to pass before calling to ask about it. The new email confirmation from DL shows my seat assignments have remained the same-- and those seats are blocked out on the AF seatmap-- but the AF site does not show them associated with my reservation, yet.

I'm hopeful though that this will all be sorted out and that DL IT know what they are doing. Would have been nice, though, to have some better communication than an email showing my party was downgraded without explanation, and if phone agents could have had more accurate info to share as well. Oh well.

Does your delta.com itinerary show you on the Delta codeshare flight number or the AF flight number? If the former, you're probably okay but watch your mileage credits in the end, as G fares have different earnings on Delta than they do on AF, at least on the mileage earning charts that currently show on delta.com.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi All,

If your res still shows you on DL8456/AF85, I'd be concerned. Again, this flight is only showing as available until Oct 15th. After that, there is only a single daily flight on SFO-CDG -- DL8599/AF83 with a 3:15PM departure.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
I always check with the operating carrier after DL stranded me on the day before Christmas insisting until one hour after departure time that VS was flying SFO-LHR, which instead had been removed from their schedule in October.

Check on the AF website; it should be easy using your name and PNR/ticket number.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Hi All,

I went onto AF and checked my reservation today. Like yours, the three legs that were changed from W to G by DL are now showing Economy on the AF site. I still have the seats I chose in PE though. My first leg is still showing PE on both DL and AF, so W isn't quite dead yet. My only concern is that I have the standard 90 minute connection in CDG, so I'm wondering what will happen if I miss my connection. I only have about 10 days until check-in, so hopefully everything will be straightened out between DL and AF by then.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
This happened on my upcoming VS flights a few months ago. The problem has been resolved, but it took several weeks.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL Medialia Platina
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

I really hope that DL and its partners can straighten out this problem of unaligned fare codes.
Since when has Delta IT EVER worked correctly?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I just wanted to post the official wording from Delta in case anyone was interested:
On September 9, 2017, the Delta-marketed Premium Economy inventory classes for flights operated by Deltas Joint Venture (JV) partners Air France (AF) and Alitalia (AZ) were reassigned from W to P, A and G. Delta-marketed fares for Premium Economy services offered by AF and AZ will use classes P, A and G for travel on or after September 25, 2017.

Please note: There are no changes to AF or AZ-marketed Premium Economy fare products, and all flights affected by this booking class reassignment are in the trans-Atlantic market.

[...]

Delta customers who were booked in Premium Economy on DL-marketed, AF- or AZ-operated flights in W class departing on or after September 25, 2017 have been re-accommodated to G class. Converted PNRs were updated via normal schedule change processing.
*Bolding mine

Source: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ice-chang.html

I guess that clarifies what happened.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I just wanted to post the official wording from Delta in case anyone was interested:

*Bolding mine

Source: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ice-chang.html

I guess that clarifies what happened.
Thanks. That explains why my first flight leaving on the 24th is still W, but the connecting flight on the 25th and the return were changed to G. Unfortunately no upgrade to G on the domestic connections. Still C+ on those.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Grogs
Thanks. That explains why my first flight leaving on the 24th is still W, but the connecting flight on the 25th and the return were changed to G. Unfortunately no upgrade to G on the domestic connections. Still C+ on those.
When I booked PE on VS last month for MAN-BOS-MSP it booked into G on both legs, with the connecting domestic flight in the F cabin.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Grogs
Unfortunately no upgrade to G on the domestic connections. Still C+ on those.
This should not be an upgrade, it should book into first class if it's a G fare. I think it's worth a call to Delta. I would work on preparing what you will say to the agent, who will likely be confused by your request, and be prepared to ask for a supervisor.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This should not be an upgrade, it should book into first class if it's a G fare. I think it's worth a call to Delta. I would work on preparing what you will say to the agent, who will likely be confused by your request, and be prepared to ask for a supervisor.
If G class isn't available, you probably don't get a FC seat.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If G class isn't available, you probably don't get a FC seat.
True. I misread and thought that OP meant that OP had a G class ticket but was still seated in C+ because seat selection was done prior to the change in fare class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.