Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Brave Delta Pilots Save Lives: flies straight into Hurricane Irm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brave Delta Pilots Save Lives: flies straight into Hurricane Irm

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I really doubt that DL said "screw the risk." That would be highly irresponsible. DL carefully assessed the risk and possible ways to mitigate it before deciding to go with the flight.

Fine, I'll follow your logic.

Then Delta deserves a hand for being much more careful to think of possible ways to mitigate it before deciding to go with the flight. I didn't see others do this.
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
ima get IBT(impending category 5)L
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Impressive indeed

The Pilot who flew the Jet in is a Retired Lt. Colonel of the Air Force. I am sure he flew in far worse conditions in an Air Force jet and is more than qualified to assess the risk and proceed. Great job by Delta.

Originally Posted by wolf72
Some very brave pilots from Delta; flight records show plane landing in Puerto Rico as storm hit and departing with 170 people on board 40 minutes later!!

As Hurricane Irma threatened to make landfall in Puerto Rico, most pilots were avoiding the area. Understandably so, perhaps.

Cuba lashed by category five winds as storm heads to US – as it happened
At least 23 people confirmed dead across Caribbean, with Hurricane Jose also heading for Barbuda at almost category five intensity
Read more
One Delta Airlines plane, however, headed straight toward the storm. The pilot landed on the island as it was engulfed and got away again within an hour, taking more than 170 people out of the path of the most powerful Atlantic hurricane ever recorded.

Despite the extreme weather closing in, the airline described conditions as “well below operating limits” for the aircraft when it arrived. Flight records examined by the Guardian show it arriving in San Juan on Puerto Rico’s north coast, and leaving again about 40 minutes later.

“Our meteorology team is the best in the business,” said Delta’s Erik Snell. “They took a hard look at the weather data and the track of the storm and worked with the flight crew and dispatcher to agree it was safe to operate the flight. And our flight and ground crews were incredible in their effort to turn the aircraft quickly and safely so the flight could depart well before the hurricane threat.”

To read the full article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...es-puerto-rico
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by barney44
The Pilot who flew the Jet in is a Retired Lt. Colonel of the Air Force. I am sure he flew in far worse conditions in an Air Force jet and is more than qualified to assess the risk and proceed. Great job by Delta.
Thanks for the info. I was speculating that there might have been some especially qualified/experienced pilot involved with the flight, although perhaps any DL pilot could have done it.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
You're right. Sorry. Indeed I meant to quote post #32 above by wolf72.
It's okey. The other poster you quoted was being silly so you got the quotation right.

But comparing avionics from 1989 as far as weather radar is concerned to weather radar installed on most aircraft TODAY is like comparing a pair of Nike Pegasus running shoes in 1986 to the more comfortable running shoes you buy on the market today.

Same exterior. Potentially same designs. But so much more comfortable and more advanced and a lot more expensive.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by barney44
He is a hero to the 170 people he brought out. As much as there is so much jealousy on here about him and his co-pilot going beyond the norm to get in and get out in 40 minutes before the storm hit, he deserves a pat on the back.

Lives were saved.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the ground crew also deserve special thanks for gettting the aircraft turned around so quickly. Similarly, the passengers probably cooperated by boarding quickly to facilitate this, although they had every incentive to want to get out ASAP.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I really doubt that DL said "screw the risk." That would be highly irresponsible. DL carefully assessed the risk and possible ways to mitigate it before deciding to go with the flight.
There was no risk to that flight. If there was even the slightest bit of risk, they would have cancelled the flight. The airline industry operates with some of the highest safety margins of any industry.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I think the ground crew also deserve special thanks for gettting the aircraft turned around so quickly. Similarly, the passengers probably cooperated by boarding quickly to facilitate this, although they had every incentive to want to get out ASAP.
Agreed. I think getting an aircraft loaded/refueled/boarded in 40 minutes is very very efficient. Over here in Asia, the average turn around time is 60 minutes in comparison so they did a very good job.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:45 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thanks to all who participated in this lively discussion,
Now, it is time to lock this one up.
Obscure2K
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.