Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Brave Delta Pilots Save Lives: flies straight into Hurricane Irm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brave Delta Pilots Save Lives: flies straight into Hurricane Irm

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
This is fake news. Everyone on the FT Delta forum says the 737-900 is a dog of an aircraft and needs a million miles of runway to takeoff and land in even the best of weather. Most here would have preferred to stay and face Irma rather than squeeze into the awful 739.

But in all honestly if you want to thank someone, thank Boeing. They build the finest aircraft in the sky and it is very possible that with such bad weather this was an autoland.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
The weather conditions the aircraft landed and departed in can be found everyday throughout the US...
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by azepine00
Under real dangerous conditions it would be downright irresponsible to land/take off instead of just keeping ppl safe on the ground and waiting out the hurricane.
This evacuation ahead of the storm is probably safer than many routine landings in nasty weather pilots perform daily.

That being said it is nice that DL (and others like B6 or UA out of IAH a couple weeks back) proactively got near stranded folks out.
+1. Was great on DL part to help get people out. However their was nothing death defining or heroic about this. The plane was operated within it's limits, using advance technology. (Autopilot, Navigation and weather) The plane was being flown no different then normal, except with likely more heading/altitude changes then normal. Saying this was "heroic" or "brave" 1)does a disservice to the terms, and 2)ignores the fact that pilots don't put people lives at risk trying to be heroic and brave. The people on the flight out weren't going to die if left behind.

+100 to the pilots, crew and DL for getting the people out. However lets not overblow this, they did so simply for one reason, it was SAFE to operate the flight.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by frobozzelectric
i am sure the 170 people in the plane appreciate it better than any of us here ever could as we were not there.

pilots being bros.
Wholly agree. Given the devastation being seen from St. Marteen's, I for one would think the 170 people who got out would be so thankful for being evacuated out just in time.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:01 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by wolf72
Wholly agree. Given the devastation being seen from St. Marteen's, I for one would think the 170 people who got out would be so thankful for being evacuated out just in time.
I'm not sure what the devastation in St. Marteen has to do with the damage in Puerto Rico, other than they both came from the same storm. Puerto Rico took a terrible hit from the storm but not nearly the same magnitude.

It's great some flights got out. This story is not going to be the subject of a Major Motion Picture or even a Lifetime Movie.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I'm not sure what the devastation in St. Marteen has to do with the damage in Puerto Rico, other than they both came from the same storm. Puerto Rico took a terrible hit from the storm but not nearly the same magnitude.

It's great some flights got out. This story is not going to be the subject of a Major Motion Picture or even a Lifetime Movie.
If they decide to make one, they can just use the scene from the movie "2012" where the plane is taking off as the runway collapses beneath it.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:54 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
JetBlue sent rescue flights as well. Please don't say others turned their backs. It isn't true at all.

But in all honestly if you want to thank someone, thank Boeing. They build the finest aircraft in the sky and it is very possible that with such bad weather this was an autoland.
It's amazing JetBlue was able to operate in these conditions without the amazing capabilities only found on Boeing aircraft
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Autoland is meant to be used in foggy but otherwise relatively calm conditions. Many autoland systems have a crosswind limitation of around 15 knots, making them all but useless in the hurricane/tropical storm force winds and wouldn't even be a consideration.

Having said that, I would agree that a lot of the comments regarding this flight are over the top. I actually operated the last DL flight in and out of MCO last year before ops shutdown as Matthew approached. Thunderstorms are pretty much thunderstorms with the hazards of heavy rain, windshear and turbulence regardless of whether they are part of a strong spring cold front in the plains, an afternoon southern build up, or a tropical storm. in fact I'll say that it was an actual bonus that the outer bands sweep over the field so quickly that we didn't even have to hold long.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:27 pm

Kudos to the pilot who did a courageous act. I can only fathom how scary it must have been to maneuver the plane in heavy winds.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
It's amazing JetBlue was able to operate in these conditions without the amazing capabilities only found on Boeing aircraft
What aircraft do Jet Blue use?

A reliable, modern aviation company?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danielonn
Kudos to the pilot who did a courageous act. I can only fathom how scary it must have been to maneuver the plane in heavy winds.
I tend to agree. Bravery is measured by those who witness it and not by comments from those who are jealous of the deeds of others willing to put their lives on the line to save those in dire need to escape a cat 5 super hurricane, the likes the world has not seen in a very long time.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:24 pm
Suspended

I tend to agree. Bravery is measured by those who witness it and not by comments from those who are jealous of the deeds of others willing to put their lives on the line to save those in dire need to escape a cat 5 super hurricane, the likes the world has not seen in a very long time.
I dated a girl who was an aerobatics pilot. Landing during a thunderstorm is child's play compared to the stunts she did. She is still no hero though. There was nothing brave or heroic about landing at SJU. Airline pilots are not suicidal. People please....

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Sep 10, 2017 at 4:30 pm
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I dated a girl who was an aerobatics pilot. Landing during a thunderstorm is child's play compared to the stunts she did. She is still no hero though. There was nothing brave or heroic about landing at SJU. Airline pilots are not suicidal. People please....
Why did you not marry her? How did you let her go?

Remember that Katy Perry song "The one that got away?"

Yes, it's a shame she never flew into the eye of the storm. Never had lives to worry about. Never had to make pint-point decisions that put lives on the line but did so because of a higher calling.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Why did you not marry her? How did you let her go?

Remember that Katy Perry song "The one that got away?"

Yes, it's a shame she never flew into the eye of the storm. Never had lives to worry about. Never had to make pint-point decisions that put lives on the line but did so because of a higher calling.
Please stop and listen to yourself. These pilots would not have accepted a flight where they thought their lives might be in danger. Delta would never dispatch a flight where they thought their aircraft or passengers might be in danger. It simply wouldn't happen. The weather was within operation standard so the flight was dispatched. Had the weather deteriorated on the way the flight would have either been turned around or diverted to a safe airport. This flight was never in any danger. If it was then Delta would be facing severe consequences f
rom the FAA.

Higher calling? Airline pilots respond to paychecks. Nothing more.

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Sep 10, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Please stop and listen to yourself. These pilots would not have accepted a flight where they thought their lives might be in danger. Delta would never dispatch a flight where they thought their aircraft or passengers might be in danger. It simply wouldn't happen. The weather was within operation standard so the flight was dispatched. Had the weather deteriorated on the way the flight would have either been turned around or diverted to a safe airport. This flight was never in any danger. If it was then Delta would be facing severe consequences f
rom the FAA.

Higher calling? Airline pilots respond to paychecks. Nothing more.
But other airliners under advice from the company team monitoring the weather conditions and movement of the Hurricane opted to turn their aircraft around whilst Delta carried on, with advice from their team.

These are decisions that are done as a team. A unit. Trust in your team and year's and year's of experience in weather monitoring; advanced avionics and the pilot's experience in these difficult situations. A very good aircraft you can depend on.

They did the deed. You didn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.