Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who here brings their own Tumbler Glass for drinks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who here brings their own Tumbler Glass for drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've brought wine and nice glasses on European trains, but I'd be afraid to try it on Amtrak as I would assume that they have a rule like USA airlines saying that passengers can only consume alcohol on board that's supplied by the airline/train.
You are freely allowed to consume your own alcohol in your roomette/bedroom (you don't even need to close the door when doing so). You cannot bring your wine to the dining car, but I bring my Bordeaux glass with me to dinner to use with the Cabernet/Merlot for purchase to more fully enjoy my meal. You officially cannot drink your own alcohol in coach or business class seating (although there are many, many who discreetly do so).
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:36 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
......only if I were thinking of bringing alcohol to drink on Amtrak and I have no reason to do so.
The hypothetical you could also have read the policies.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
......only if I were thinking of bringing alcohol to drink on Amtrak and I have no reason to do so.
Lately I've been taking the 3-hour bus about every month from Madison to O'Hare, where there is every reason to do so.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

In hotel bathrooms, I prefer the plastic (assuming that the glass is wrapped) as I'm certain it's clean and I don't have to worry about breaking it. Sometimes I'll tuck a couple wrapped disposable plastic glasses in my suitcase since hotels in some countries don't always supply glasses.
This thread is bringing back memories of horror stories.

Like the glass drinking glass that I once had at a Hilton, which had a rather sticky residue inside the glass. I placed it on a table in the room, well away from the ice bucket/beverage service area.

The next day, the very same glass was back next to the ice bucket.

Had I not taken the glass down to the front desk, I suspect it would have remained there for the next occupant of the room.

Yep, I am going to find a sturdy tumbler and start packing it in my luggage.

(BTW... how often do you see a tray of clean glasses on a housekeeping cart?)
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Oops. Wrong thread.

Last edited by aquamarinesteph; Sep 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm Reason: edit b/c I posted in the wrong place!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by thesaints
When travelling in the back I always bring my butler with me to pour drinks and plate food properly. I use miles for his ticket and don't pay him a salary: he has to do it by court order for hitting me while driving without a valid insurance. It's a funny story...
I bet you were really peeved when carry-on sizes became more strictly enforced and you could no longer just put him in the overhead bin.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Then why were you just posting about it? I swear people 'thinking aloud' in threads is one of the worst things about forums...

If you have no idea what you are talking about, and have no interest in researching it, then why post?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I swear people 'thinking aloud' in threads is one of the worst things about forums...
Don't swear.

Now back to the regularly scheduled "Dr. Phil, I bring Waterford Crystal on to domestic economy flights. Help." (I thought it was maybe suitable for a different show, but then I thought "empty glass? It will be for the sample, and you'll find out YOU ARE THE FATHER.")
wlau likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by danielonn
When I fly Delta Comfort+ I bring my own Tumbler Glass in my carryon and then pour the mini bottles in or beer/wine. I get the First Class experience in Y.
Thoughts?
If you're happy, then I'm happy you found a way to improve your DL flying experience.

Originally Posted by VibeGuy
Perfect. Thanks.

As for the posters in this thread who think OP is nuts, DYKWIA, had OCD, too much time on his hands, or all of the above....either OP is far more clever about his thread than we realize or it's a reminder that many of us have developed our own "hacks" to improve out adventures on a bus with wings.

At least OP's nice glass didn't land him in the passenger shaming forum.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I apologize in advance if anyone is annoyed by this, but I do have to post my recent Amtrak wine and stemware pic from my trip in a bedroom on the Lake Shore Limited departing Chicago after the Arlington Millionand heading to Saratoga (getting off at Schnectady)
Attached Images  
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:30 pm

I spent quite a lot of miles on Amtrak in the past few years, because my father can't fly. You're free to bring alcohol in sleeper cars, and we actually packed him a mini-keg of Newcastle for most trips. The lounge car attendants graciously ignored him drinking his 'free' beer on all of our (six? seven?) different LD routes. We did NOT bring glass, but that's just because we mostly avoid glass for him even when he's not on a bumpy track.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I've never done it. I probably wouldn't bother just because I reckon others would stare, but I do like the idea.

I pack extremely light but have purchased tumblers as souvenirs before. They pack extremely well, if you just pack the tumbler just stuff some clothes around it and a pair of socks inside it (keep the clothes off the glass with paper or plastic if you like). It takes up barely any space at all.

Taking your own tumbler may be controversial, but hating glassware onboard is downright wrong and should be illegal . Why would you hate glass in rough weather? Did you have an incident? The tumblers are way more stable than those dinky plastic cups with tiny bases.
Yes, I do a lot of Asian flights, the flight never fails to run into turbulence during drink and meal service, both after departure and pre-arrival meal near Japan/Korea airspace. I have had more red wine spilled in flight than on the ground. I do like the new DL glassware with the stubby base, which is very stable and easy to grab and grib... I only started to see them in the last 2 months.

My bigger issue is that after several hours inflight, my finger skins are so dry that it doesn't have enough grip and the heavy glass has a tendency to slip out. Also, some of DL's F/D1 tray table is not the most stable, so watching the wine glass bouncing up and down makes me very very nervous - i really hate red wine stains...

I like DL's plastic cup - very thick and good material. Asian airlines uses the thinnest plastic cups that are very prone to deform when held. When you pick up those plastic cups, the sides of the plastic cup will deform and flex inwards, thus push the liquid up and cause it to spill...

For the "weirdos" here , what else do you bring besides your glassware? Do you bring your own silverware and maybe chopsticks? How about your own napkins?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Given the legit complaints in the SkyClub food thread about the tiny, flimsy plates and plastic silverware, who will be the first to go to SC equipped with a picnic set to properly enjoy the enhanced food? Bonus points if the silverware was stolen from the United Club.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by wlau
....My bigger issue is that after several hours inflight, my finger skins are so dry that it doesn't have enough grip and the heavy glass has a tendency to slip out.....
This is the "Who here brings their own Tumbler Glass for drinks?" thread, not the Dry finger skin thread.

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
....Bonus points if the silverware was stolen from the United Club.
^
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I've never flown Delta and probably never will (zero hate, just doesn't fit my itineraries and I'm stuck with *A)

...but you guys provide some of the most fun FT reading and I keep following various threads. Please do keep it up.
jinglish likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.