Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who here brings their own Tumbler Glass for drinks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who here brings their own Tumbler Glass for drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pvn
IDK about you, but I usually have my dirty laundry in a plastic bag. It wouldn't be difficult to keep your clean glass in a plastic bag, either. And I'm guessing most people who would actually do this would have their clothes in their luggage and their glass in their personal item.
Excuse me. My question wasn't directed at you.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Is this the OCD thread?
This is FlyerTalk. Every thread is the OCD thread.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I make a very nice veal picatta with a side of pasta and put it in some Tupperware. I also bring a nice canolli and some olive oil infused bread sticks. I then have an FO set up a nice white table cloth, reheat my meal in the on-board ovens and deliver it to my seat.
Why trouble an FA when an FO does the job very well.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 5:24 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tvnwz
I make a very nice veal picatta with a side of pasta and put it in some Tupperware. I also bring a nice canolli and some olive oil infused bread sticks. I then have an FO set up a nice white table cloth, reheat my meal in the on-board ovens and deliver it to my seat.
WELL . . . . .

If you're not gonna take this thread seriously!!!

tvnwz likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
But. I was serious. Are you forgetting that a 2 MM gets enhanced service from a GM?? Or you just don't want to brag?
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Don't you worry about what extra special sauce or seasoning the FO could add to your meal? I'm afraid to use them for anything but the carrying of bags and the laying down of their own jackets over puddles during increment weather if we must board without a jetway.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not uncommon (even, and especially in restaurants). However, if the other option is drinking out of a tumbler that has the fresh scent of your used undergarments on your return trip, would you prefer the lingering detergent odor?
When I pack for a trip, I pack one change of clothing for each day that I plan to be away, and one extra change for Delta Day (the occasional, unexpected extension to the trip). So, a tumbler could easily be protected from contamination and damage if wrapped in clean clothing and, potential, as others have suggested... in a plastic bag.

Actually, when I have sufficient foresight and I am scheduled to stay at a Hampton Inn, or other similar property where you can find nothing other than paper cups for beverages, I will bring along a plastic cup. Some things should not be consumed from a paper cup. Perhaps I will upgrade to glass.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So worst case is that you're delayed, you have shards of glass in your only set of clean underwear, and you must drink from the glass supplied by the airline?
CarmenOM and KevinSFO like this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
As someone who packs wine/Champagne and appropriate stemware, I can appreciate OPs comments. While I have indeed used stemware during my trips on Amtrak where I have a roomette/bedroom, I have never done anything of the sort on the plane because I go through ridiculous lengths to fly First Class.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:42 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Miesque
...I go through ridiculous lengths to fly First Class.
The ethos of FlyerTalk, distilled
blue2002, 18sas, CarmenOM and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
I always pack a drinking glass because sometimes even nice hotels only have plastic - - and I'm not drinking my Four Roses Barrel Select (also in the check-in bag) in that.

Thanks to the OP for giving me the kick in behind to have the glass in my carry-on, instead of checking it, to class up C+ a smidge.

BTW -- if you ever find yourself on the go with no actual drinking glass, check out thrift stores. That's where I get my most interesting numbers - - things like vintage stemware with etchings and silver rims, for about fifty cents. Or glasses with hotel insignia, that you can use at the very same hotel chain that now only has plastic.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
When travelling in the back I always bring my butler with me to pour drinks and plate food properly. I use miles for his ticket and don't pay him a salary: he has to do it by court order for hitting me while driving without a valid insurance. It's a funny story...
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Miesque
As someone who packs wine/Champagne and appropriate stemware, I can appreciate OPs comments. While I have indeed used stemware during my trips on Amtrak where I have a roomette/bedroom, I have never done anything of the sort on the plane because I go through ridiculous lengths to fly First Class.
I've brought wine and nice glasses on European trains, but I'd be afraid to try it on Amtrak as I would assume that they have a rule like USA airlines saying that passengers can only consume alcohol on board that's supplied by the airline/train.

In hotel bathrooms, I prefer the plastic (assuming that the glass is wrapped) as I'm certain it's clean and I don't have to worry about breaking it. Sometimes I'll tuck a couple wrapped disposable plastic glasses in my suitcase since hotels in some countries don't always supply glasses.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:59 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've brought wine and nice glasses on European trains, but I'd be afraid to try it on Amtrak as I would assume that they have a rule like USA airlines saying that passengers can only consume alcohol on board that's supplied by the airline/train.
Or you could just like, read their publicly posted policies

https://www.amtrak.com/personal-food...ges-medication
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
Or you could just like, read their publicly posted policies

https://www.amtrak.com/personal-food...ges-medication
......only if I were thinking of bringing alcohol to drink on Amtrak and I have no reason to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.