Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Avissi Prosecco

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Whenever I'm offered some "champagne" by a FA, I always verify that it is real French champagne from the Champagne area of France. Sometimes they're still confused about the distinction.
You must feel vastly superior to a FA to know the distinction between champagne and prosecco.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thesaints
Some Californian champagnes are absolutely competitive, though, and those are made using same grapes and techniques, only 9 times zones west of Reims.
I wouldn't object if a FA offered me "champagne" and poured a glass of Roederer Estate.
In fact, I'm not sure why Delta caters some forgettable prosecco instead of a California basic NV. How much money can they save ?

This has long been my sentiment as well. ^
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Some Californian champagnes are absolutely competitive, though, and those are made using same grapes and techniques, only 9 times zones west of Reims.
I wouldn't object if a FA offered me "champagne" and poured a glass of Roederer Estate.
In fact, I'm not sure why Delta caters some forgettable prosecco instead of a California basic NV. How much money can they save ?
A lot. You're better off drinking the low end of Prosecco than the low end of California bubbles. I'd take a lower end Cremant or Prosecco over a rear end California option any day (unless I particularly know of a decent value). But we have some mighty fine mid and high end stuff.

I recall years ago when so many people went into a tizzy when UA changed its marginal business cabin French offering to Iron Horse bubbles. Fine. More for me!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Whenever I'm offered some "champagne" by a FA, I always verify that it is real French champagne from the Champagne area of France. Sometimes they're still confused about the distinction.
So?

And if it isn't "real French champagne from the Champagne area of France," do you not drink it?

I'll try just about any bubbly swill an FA offers ... the first go round. If heartburny burps start prior to the second sip, be done with you!
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Gloria Ferrer's NV blanc de noir retails a couple of bucks above Avissi.
The latter is only worth of a mimosa at best, while the former is a pretty good choice until one decides to spend a double, if not triple, amount.

Of course, I had not Korbel in mind.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Meanwhile, are the bubbles referred to in this post the ones that DL currently serve in the domestic F cabina? I'm asking because I'm taking my first DL flight of the year within the week and want to know (1) what I'll have the opportunity to drink; (2) if the DL "stemware" will be suitable (even if it doesn't contain a stem); and, (3) if I will be better off taking a wrapped plastic cup from the hotel (oops, wrong thread!)
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I enjoy it! I was already familiar becasue it happens to be my in laws favorite prosecco. Is it the best ever? No. Is it great to have a bubbles option in domestic FC finally? Absolutely!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
The Big D was serving something called "Mito Brut" from Italy in D1 between DCA and LAX back in April. is this Avissi stuff similar to Mito?

I don't know why Delta can't get a deal with a winery like Korbel? Can't be much more expensive than the vintages that Andrea Robinson, the "master sommelier", the princess of plonk, the headmistress of hangovers, comes up with.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt DIscoverist
The Avissi is kinda gross tbh, you have to ask for it and they only stock a few on the plane. They do often have La Marca which is much better.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I've had both and both are fine. I love sparkling wine but within that spectrum, Prosecco is usually my least favorite because of the traditionally higher dosage and my dry preferences. But, I almost always get that on-board because I want them to keep offering it. If they are both well chilled they are nominally different and my main issue has been that it isn't served at the proper temperature.

With that said, add me to the camp of those who would prefer a methode traditionelle from CA like Chandon or heck, even certain Korbel bruts (Organic & Chardonnay are quite drinkable) over a Prosecco but I like a drier and yeastier bubbly.

I always ask for it by "sparkling wine" and have gotten "oh you mean Prosecco" only twice. I hope they advertise and continue to offer it.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

I think Delta would do better by serving Frexinet Cava. I love Cava although Prosecco is not that bad compared to that cheap Andre swill they claim is good Sparkling wine. I would take Prosecco any day. I also love Perrier Laurent Champagne from France as well as Moet Chandon from CA.

Krug and Don Perrignon is also very good.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Probably because:

1) There is some Italian subsidy to promote Italian products. (Meijer supermarkets recently received money to have Italian food products featured for a couple months in a special section of its supermarkets.)

2) Delta thinks Americans will appreciate the "exotic" nature of a foreign sparkling wine and presume it is better than any sparkling wine from the United States.

What's even more annoying is that Delta serves rubbish Spanish sparkling wine (cava) as pre-departure beverages in international business-class. Sometimes the flight attendants forget to switch it out for the French champagne (Lanson brand).
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bryan7007
The Avissi is kinda gross tbh, you have to ask for it and they only stock a few on the plane. They do often have La Marca which is much better.
They had both Avissi and La Marca on Los Cabos-Atlanta last month.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bergamini
But, I almost always get that on-board because I want them to keep offering it.
Exactly. I find I'm often the only passenger drinking champagne or sparkling wine beyond the pre-departure beverage. I've had the pursuer give unopened bottles to take with me on international flights before.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by danielonn
Moet Chandon from CA.
Isn't the Moet from California basically the same as Moet from France? Same grapes, same technique, same company. Just a different location. Kind of like a BMW assembled in North America as opposed to Germany.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.