Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyway to combine tickets so bags are checked through?

Old Sep 6, 17, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Planning booking Delta (who I'm not terribly familiar with since I usually fly Alaska, but Delta's paid F is usually better, especially for a vegetarian, and cheaper)

My route is PSC to SEA to LAX and back.

I have 4 x $50 Delta eCerts and 45,000 Amex pts from my platinum card.

I've put it together like this.

PSC to SEA booked via Delta.com using eCerts, this uses three eCerts and $1 out of pocket plus any tax if you have to pay that out of pocket

Then SEA to LAX booked on my Amex using pts. (plus a little cash since I don't have enough total points for this and the return and the return is a tighter 1 hr connection so I want that booked all at once together in case I miss a flight or need to change because of delayed departure, etc)

On the return I'm booking LAX to SEA to PSC all at once using points.

I think this is the best use of points and eCerts. I end up paying about $150 out of pocket and will have one $50 eCert left over for use some other time. I use all my Amex points which I kind of want to do since I don't use the card often and would like to reduce how much out of pocket this trip takes.

My big question is, since the departure trip will be split in the middle, PSC to SEA booked via Delta.com and then SEA to LAX booked via Amex is there a way to contact Delta after it's booked and tie those together so my bags are checked all the way through to LAX. Both flights are Delta (though the PSC to SEA route is operated by SkyWest). I've left an hour and a half layover in Seattle so I can go drop by the SkyClub or Amex lounge so I don't think I'm breaking any booking rules by making flights too tight, hell, Delta offers up a flight with less then 1 hr connection in Seattle if I don't book these separate.

I have time to go collect my bags, especially with being F and having my bag be a priority and then being able to use TSA PreCheck and/or F security lane, BUT I would much rather not have to go outside security just to get my bag and return back through security.
Old Sep 6, 17, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
DL will check your bag thru to LAX; all you have to do is show them the DL itinerary for the onward flight
Old Sep 6, 17, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
DL will check your bag thru to LAX; all you have to do is show them the DL itinerary for the onward flight
Sweet
Old Sep 6, 17, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can call DL and ask them to "link" the PNRs, but this doesn't do much.

For checking the bag through, just ask nicely at the check in counter and be prepared to show hard copies of all itineraries and receipts to make it easy for the agent to find the information. [BTW, this worked for me within the last few days, although my bags would have been free regardless.]
Old Sep 6, 17, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Doing this is no problem, but in my experience, as was previously mentioned, you will want to print both itineraries the old fashioned way, on paper, so that you can hand them both to the ticketing agent. Only your first itinerary will pop up on the screen. The agent will need to do some extra typing to access your second itinerary. It goes much smoother if you can hand papers over that have both printed.
Old Sep 7, 17, 12:25 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I've had no problem asking for through checked bags by simply showing the second reservation in the Delta app.

Apart from that, each to their own, but I'd never use Amex points to pay for a ticket. I'd always transfer them to an airline's FFP where redemption values are radically better. For example, I just used 70,000 to fly Lufthansa First Class with First Class domestic connections FRA-MUC-DEN-EUG, which booked at the last second as I did would have cost about $11,000 one way. Pay with your Amex Plat for the 5x airfare bonus and keep building that MR balance!
Old Sep 7, 17, 4:55 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Why would you pay with the platinum when you get no travel insurance ?
Old Sep 7, 17, 5:31 am
C W

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel View Post
I'd rather 5x MR than 3x UR. It just aligns better with my redemptions.
Old Sep 7, 17, 5:41 am
C W

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel View Post
I'd rather 5x MR than 3x UR. It just aligns better with my redemptions.
Old Sep 7, 17, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
You can call DL and ask them to "link" the PNRs, but this doesn't do much.

For checking the bag through, just ask nicely at the check in counter and be prepared to show hard copies of all itineraries and receipts to make it easy for the agent to find the information. [BTW, this worked for me within the last few days, although my bags would have been free regardless.]
Ironically they didnt even ask me for proof last time I did this (few weeks back) they just took my word for it that I was going through

(edit: I am sure they looked something up on the computer )
Old Sep 7, 17, 8:05 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Just curious, has anyone had to pay two bag fees to do this? I realize it doesn't affect the OP since he is flying F.
Old Sep 7, 17, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W View Post
I've had no problem asking for through checked bags by simply showing the second reservation in the Delta app.

Apart from that, each to their own, but I'd never use Amex points to pay for a ticket. I'd always transfer them to an airline's FFP where redemption values are radically better. For example, I just used 70,000 to fly Lufthansa First Class with First Class domestic connections FRA-MUC-DEN-EUG, which booked at the last second as I did would have cost about $11,000 one way. Pay with your Amex Plat for the 5x airfare bonus and keep building that MR balance!
I think my issue is mixing in the eCerts. (4 x $50) I don't use the Amex very often so I'm not really trying to build up the MR balance on it, I'm much more a CSR guy and have many more points in that pot. I also normally fly Alaska so my miles make more sense over there. I'm just flying Delta this time because their F product is better then Alaska (especially for a vegetarian) and usually is cheaper when purchased... though Virgin F from SEA to LAX is very competitive...)

You know, initially I wasn't going to do that since I would be about 3000 miles short or so of the full round trip and it seemed to cost more miles if I booked it broken up... (example, SEA to LAX is 25k miles AND PSC to LAX via SEA is 25k miles) I also couldn't figure out how to use up my Delta eCerts by doing that... I haven't checked to see how much buying 3,000 SkyMiles would cost, but I'm almost positive I couldn't use the eCerts for them....

What I could do though is transfer 23k MR points to Delta and have enough to book LAX to PSC via SEA (25k miles for F) and that would all be one ticket which is nice since the connection in SEA is only ~45 minutes. I would like to keep that as a single booking in case anything happens and I need to change or rebook or etc.

Then I could use my eCerts to pay for the PSC to SEA Delta F flight (~$150 USD, would leave me with $50 Delta eCert to save for some other time) and then I could transfer 19k MR pts to Virgin America and book SEA to LAX in F. That actually leaves me with ~3,000 MR pts left in my Amex account instead of using them all up. Also, that's basically zero out of pocket dollars for me (except tax/booking fees when paying with miles)

I get to try Virgin America's F product then. The only sticking point a little bit is the flight times with the SEA connection between Delta and Virgin don't mesh well, so instead of just an hour or so to check out the lounge and get down to LA by 1pm in the afternoon I would have to shift my plans to spending the day in SEA and then getting to LA that night. That might not be so bad. I'm pretty sure SEA has a paid service that'll hold your bags for the day for you so I could land in SEA at 7am from flying a short Delta F hop, go check out the SkyClub or Cent lounge, drop my bags off at 9am or something, go hang around at Pikes Place and stuff like that, get back to the airport by 3pm to pickup my bags and check in. Hang out in the Cent lounge until the Virgin flight departs and then get down to LA by about 9pm.

I think that might actually be better use of my time then being in LA around 1 or 2pm. That's obviously not enough time to do a theme park or anything that day and instead I was just going to drop by the Getty Center or something while driving up from LAX to Studio City area.
Old Sep 7, 17, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
I'm pretty sure SEA has a paid service that'll hold your bags for the day for you ...
Ken's Baggage Service (near the north end of baggage claim) closed earlier this year ... it has apparently been been reincarnated as a Smarte Carte bag storage location, but I haven't actually had occasion to investigate
Old Sep 7, 17, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
Ken's Baggage Service (near the north end of baggage claim) closed earlier this year ... it has apparently been been reincarnated as a Smarte Carte bag storage location, but I haven't actually had occasion to investigate
Dang! Thanks for the update... anyone use Smarte Carte for storing bags for the day? I had used Ken's before and felt safe doing that and it was fantastic for leaving the airport and wandering around for the day...
Old Sep 8, 17, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just walked by Smarte Carte Bag Storage in what I think was the old Ken's location (by the street exit between Carousels 12 & 13 in the baggage claim area) ... didn't notice anything about rates, but I think the hours were something like 0600-midnight, give or take half an hour

Search this Thread
Search Engine: