FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   AJC: "Delta to launch new credit card targeted at millennials" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1865420-ajc-delta-launch-new-credit-card-targeted-millennials.html)

woodford02A Sep 6, 2017 6:52 am

AJC: "Delta to launch new credit card targeted at millennials"

http://www.myajc.com/business/delta-...2ZbjouA94aaEL/

Delta Air Lines is debuting a new credit card with American Express targeted at young travelers and casual travelers.

The new credit card launching Thursday, the Blue Delta SkyMiles card, will have no annual fee and double miles for spending at U.S. restaurants and flights booked with Delta.

The Blue card will not offer a free checked bag or priority boarding like other SkyMiles credit cards do, nor will it offer a companion certificate like the Delta Platinum and Reserve AmEx cards do.

3Cforme Sep 6, 2017 7:09 am

Market segmentation, in the fine spirit of a Caffeine-Free Cherry Coke Zero.

woodford02A Sep 6, 2017 7:13 am

seems like a good way to get people in the door with the enticement of a no annual fee card and then up-sell to the other cards

MSPeconomist Sep 6, 2017 8:55 am

The offer includes 10,000 RDMs after $500 spend during the first three months.

Also, those with existing Options cards will be migrated over to this new card.

Uncle Lars Sep 6, 2017 9:07 am

A question is, IF there is a spending waiver for Delta Diamond Status next year, would this card count?

vincentharris Sep 6, 2017 9:12 am

Originally Posted by woodford02A (Post 28782800)

Chase/United just released a similar card except theirs is 1.5 cents back on everything and 2 cents back on United travel. The money banks up and you can use it as a credit for anything on United

ekozie Sep 6, 2017 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Lars (Post 28783370)
A question is, IF there is a spending waiver for Delta Diamond Status next year, would this card count?

The current Options card works for the waiver.

Zeeb Sep 6, 2017 12:27 pm

Not enticing as an everyday spend card. But since there's no annual fee it could be worth picking up for the bonus miles and Delta purchases.

C W Sep 6, 2017 12:39 pm

As a person in my twenties I roll my eyes every time I hear about this targeting millennials crap. The new no-annual-fee Delta card and the $450 CSR are both ostensibly targeted at millenials, obviously exactly the same groups :rolleyes:

Anyway, does anybody think we'll better than 10,000 SM for the signup bonus? Maybe when the other cards go on special?

SteveinA2 Sep 7, 2017 7:05 am

Perhaps they saw a wave of cancellations. The $195 fee is pretty poor value with Skymiles devaluation and economy only restrictive companion.

The $450 card isn't bad, except you get free sky club as diamond and you don't get a sky club membership with it, you get access to Skyclub when you have a Delta flight so significantly less value.

This change works well for me, I am cancelling my DL Card, can change to Delta blue, maintain my unused credit limit and maintain my credit score and have no cost.

Zeeb Sep 7, 2017 7:29 am

Originally Posted by SteveinA2 (Post 28787524)
Perhaps they saw a wave of cancellations. The $195 fee is pretty poor value with Skymiles devaluation and economy only restrictive companion.

The $450 card isn't bad, except you get free sky club as diamond and you don't get a sky club membership with it, you get access to Skyclub when you have a Delta flight so significantly less value.

This change works well for me, I am cancelling my DL Card, can change to Delta blue, maintain my unused credit limit and maintain my credit score and have no cost.

Quite possibly. I got rid of my gold DL card long ago because it offered me nothing that was worth the fee. I already get free checked bags from status and I have to use the corporate card for my ticket purchases so it didn't help for either earning miles or for hitting the spend waiver. I wonder if Delta's attempts to push towards 1 mile = 1 cent is starting to hurt the AmEx relationship. Since at that point there would be zero reason at all to use a Delta card when there are no fee 2% cash back options available.

hi55us Sep 7, 2017 7:29 am

I tried finding the details online but don't see this card on the AMEX website, will this card offer Pay with Miles? That would get me to open it...

woodford02A Sep 7, 2017 7:33 am

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 28787629)
I tried finding the details online but don't see this card on the AMEX website, will this card offer Pay with Miles? That would get me to open it...

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...lue/?eep=25330

xliioper Sep 7, 2017 7:35 am

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 28787629)

Given Options cardholders weren't eligible, I'm guessing Blue cardholders won't be either --

"Pay with Miles is an exclusive benefit for Card Members who have the Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles or Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express."

javabytes Sep 7, 2017 9:43 am

I thought millennials eschew Amex? ;)