Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Note: This thread is about Mileage Upgrade Awards, which are Sky Miles upgrades that upgrade your coach seat to First Class, Delta One or Premium Select.

These are no longer available on domestic routes and have been replaced with using miles for FCM buy-ups at slightly over 1 cpm -- see the FCM thread
They are also no longer available from North America to Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America.

Important Details:
BLANK SPACE
  • Your underlying fare class remains Economy, and you are technically still booked as an economy passenger.
  • You are granted all inflight & airport benefits of having that upgraded seat (i.e. Premium security line, Sky Club access on international flights, etc).
  • You earn miles based on your original Main Cabin fare.
  • Mileage Upgrade Award prices are set by route and do not fluctuate based on the cash price of the upgrade.
  • Delta no longer publishes the miles required by route to upgrade, and the numbers below is a FT best attempt to collect this data; it may not be accurate.
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are confirmed after your coach ticket is booked (though could be in the same phone call with an agent who has checked for upgrade space before booking)
  • The only way to use Mileage Upgrade Awards is by calling Delta--there is no online option.
  • This Wiki contains only minimal information about upgrading to and from Premium Select; please share information as you gather it, either by updating the wiki or posting in the thread.
  • You must be booked in an upgradeable fare class to upgrade. It is possible to buy up to an upgradeable coach fare class and then upgrade with miles.

How to Upgrade with Delta Sky Miles
  • You can Either:
    • Call Delta and ask to book a flight that has Mileage Upgrade Awards available and then purchase and upgrade the flight at the same time with that agent. Inventory is highly limited.
    • OR, call Delta to upgrade a flight you have already booked. When you call they will either process the upgrade or tell you that there are no upgrades available.
      • If an upgrade is not available, it is possible to waitlist.
        • Mileage Upgrade Awards that are waitlisted do not transfer to the Airport Upgrade List (for gate upgrade) and cannot be cleared at the gate.
        • There have been rare exceptions reported to this rule. If you want to attempt to clear your upgrade at the airport on day of departure, speak with a red coat. This is against policy and will not usually work, but some have reported success.
  • If you want to upgrade a flight that you have already booked the change fee should be waived for this upgrade. Ask for a supervisor if this is challenged.
  • The Delta agent may offer you either Delta Upgrade Awards or Upgrade with Miles (see details below). Confirm you are getting the lowest mile option.
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
NOTE: Delta offers an additional upgrade option which is called Upgrade with Miles. These upgrades are available on US Domestic flights only and are a pay with miles type of upgrade. (meaning that, unlike Mileage Upgrade Awards, the amount of miles needed fluctuates based on the cash price of an upgrade). When you use Upgrade with Miles you will earn miles for your flight based on the cabin flown, as you have now paid (with miles) to change your ticket to a premium cabin ticket (vs an upgraded coach ticket). The mileage amounts listed in this thread are not for this program. To use Upgrade with Miles you need to log into your reservation and check for an upgrade offer or call Delta and ask. Upgrade with Miles typically requires more miles to upgrade than Mileage Upgrade Awards.
In order to use Mileage Upgrade Awards from Main Cabin or Comfort+ to First Class or Delta One, you need to be booked in the correct fare class:
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are no longer available for flights within North America and South America. These routes generally have variable online mileage upgrade offers which are based on the cash upgrade offer at the rate of 1 CPM (less 7.5% US excise tax for domestic flights).
  • For all other markets you can upgrade when booked in: Y/B/M//H/Q/K
    • You can see your booking class by logging into your reservation. Directly under your seat assignment it will say your cabin and your booking class. For example: MAIN CABIN (Q)
The wiki needs to be updated to include information about upgrading to and from Delta Premium Select.

Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents.

Other thread of potential interest:

Current Pricing (may be out of date, updates appreciated)

international main cabin to PS
Y/B/M: 25,000
H/Q/K: 35,000

US to Europe
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 35,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 65,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

US to South Asia/Oceania
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 90,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

LAX-SYD
PS (A) to D1: 17,500 miles

Historical pricing

(for curiosity/comparison, this section is a mix of really old and not so old pricing so may not make a lot of sense)

US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean First Class (Most North America routes except for flights that offer Delta One)
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

Domestic Delta One Routes (domestic transcon & Hawaii routes that offer Delta One service such as JFK-LAX, LAX-DCA, ATL-HNL, etc)
Y/B/M: 23,000 miles
H/Q/K: 28,000 miles
L/U/T: 40,000 miles

NOTE: It *might* be possible to upgrade domestic segments of a PS fare (G A P) ticket to either FC or domestic D1 (unclear which) for 17,500 miles. *Unconfirmed*

US-Hawaii (Except for Delta One routes MSP/ATL/JFK/DTW-HNL. For these routes, see Domestic Transcontinental Premium Routes )
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

US-Northern South America
Y/B/M: 30,000 miles
H/Q/K: 45,000 miles
L/U/T: 55,000 miles

US-Southern South America
Y/B/M: 40,000 miles
H/Q/K: 60,000 miles

US-Europe:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 35,000 miles
H/Q/K: 65,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 35,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One:
P/A/G: 40,000 miles
(NOTE: Confirmed on Aug 28, 2022 at this rate from JFK-AMS. Confirms books into OY class)

US-Northern Asia (Japan/Korea/China):
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 70,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One
P/A/G: 45,000 miles

US-Southeast/Southwest Asia, Micronesia, Southwest Pacific:
H/Q/K: 80,000 miles

US-Africa (incl. South Africa)

US-Middle East

US to TLV:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 90,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 40,000 miles

Print Wikipost

Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist
Cheap price to go from {U,L} -> K for a 65k each-way upgrade

Booked today a round trip PDX<->BCN (via AMS in both directions) for travel in mid-April (Mon-Sun). Outbound was in a U fare and return was in an L fare. The L fare cost $130 to upgrade to a K, and the U fare cost $105 to upgrade to a K. Once all was upgraded to a K, it was 65,000 miles in each direction to upgrade to D1 for the PDX<->AMS legs. Cleared immediately.

I was so pleasantly surprised that the cash fare upgrade was so little! I have plenty of miles, but I'm on a tight budge cash-wise.

Last edited by shipitfish; Feb 25, 2019 at 1:54 pm Reason: add a few more details and clarifications
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by shipitfish
Booked today a round trip PDX<->BCN (via AMS in both directions) for travel in mid-April (Mon-Sun). Outbound was in a U fare and return was in an L fare. The L fare cost $130 to upgrade to a K, and the U fare cost $105 to upgrade to a K. Once all was upgraded to a K, it was 65,000 miles in each direction to upgrade to D1 for the PDX<->AMS legs. Cleared immediately.

I was so pleasantly surprised that the cash fare upgrade was so little! I have plenty of miles, but I'm on a tight budge cash-wise.
Nice! Did you have to call in for this or was it available to you online?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Well it's been 8 days and surprisingly, nobody from Delta even replied to my rant to them about discontinuation of mileage upgrades in the Americas. Is Delta ghosting me?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by marcworld
Well it's been 8 days and surprisingly, nobody from Delta even replied to my rant to them about discontinuation of mileage upgrades in the Americas. Is Delta ghosting me?

It usually takes longer than that and recently they seem to have been responding via phone call rather than email.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM
Tried separatepost about this but maybe this is a better place. At beginning of January I used miles to upgrade a K class ticket to D1. I have D1 seat assignments, so the upgrade appears to have processed. However, the miles do not seem to have been withdrawn from my account. Is there a reason for this? When are they going to withdraw them - and what if I have less than the necessary 120K miles when that happens?

Thanks in advance
Dan
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dddaaannn93
Tried separatepost about this but maybe this is a better place. At beginning of January I used miles to upgrade a K class ticket to D1. I have D1 seat assignments, so the upgrade appears to have processed. However, the miles do not seem to have been withdrawn from my account. Is there a reason for this? When are they going to withdraw them - and what if I have less than the necessary 120K miles when that happens?

Thanks in advance
Dan
Cross posting is generally frowned on. As posted to your other posting, this is normal. Miles don't come out till ticket is reissued. There's no rush to do this since you've already been upgraded. Just needs to be done before checking in.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
Nice! Did you have to call in for this or was it available to you online?
Oh sorry, should have mentioned. I was already talking with an agent because I was getting an error message trying to book the flight online (strangely, I never had that happen before, but at last booking step, it was saying "Unable to complete transaction, call an agent".) After three tries, I called the DM desk to book. Once I booked, I was trying to apply a GUC, and then realized I should ask about cash upgrade to K fare, then mileage upgrade, and she checked and found that price. The agent was as surprised as me that going from {L,U}->K on an international leg was only a total of $235 round-trip. I am sure I got lucky; I'd love to understand why!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:28 pm

Just called into to get a quote on an upgrade on an ATL-LAX K fare. I was told that if there is a $/mileage upgrade on the itinerary page there was no option for a Mileage Upgrade Award. The agent seemed to think there was no other option (Gold reservation line). Anyone have any thoughts on this? I plan on calling back to try another agent.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ems717
Just called into to get a quote on an upgrade on an ATL-LAX K fare. I was told that if there is a $/mileage upgrade on the itinerary page there was no option for a Mileage Upgrade Award. The agent seemed to think there was no other option (Gold reservation line). Anyone have any thoughts on this? I plan on calling back to try another agent.
I believe flat rate award upgrades went away for domestic flights.. It's now simply variable $/mile upgrades.
ems717 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I believe flat rate award upgrades went away for domestic flights.. It's now simply variable $/mile upgrades.
Thanks for the info, I guess I missed that!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ems717

Thanks for the info, I guess I missed that!
Mileage Award Upgrades are no longer offered for routes in North and South America

"For all markets, with the exception of Delta-operated flights in North America and South America, "

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-and-more.html
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
So I understand that DL has removed most flights from being able to use mileage upgrade awards and you can only use whatever FCM offer DL.com gives you, but what if there is no FCM offer? The reason I ask is because I’m thinking about booking a HNL-MSP-MCO flight on a K Fare and there typically aren’t any FCM offers on D1 flights IME. If I end up booking that flight and there is indeed no FCM option, can I therefore attempt to use a millage upgrade award which would be 28K miles according to the wiki?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
So I understand that DL has removed most flights from being able to use mileage upgrade awards and you can only use whatever FCM offer DL.com gives you, but what if there is no FCM offer? The reason I ask is because I’m thinking about booking a HNL-MSP-MCO flight on a K Fare and there typically aren’t any FCM offers on D1 flights IME. If I end up booking that flight and there is indeed no FCM option, can I therefore attempt to use a millage upgrade award which would be 28K miles according to the wiki?
No. The whole point is the mileage awards are gone. There is no award to use. BTW it's only N America and Northern S. American flights that no longer have an award upgrade option.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
I'm on a paid Comfort W and W+ fare in early June. GSP-DTW-LHR outbound and FCO-ATL-GSP coming back. Can I use miles to upgrade to Delta One? Anyone have a read on what a fair amount will be if it is possible?

UPDATE: I called and there was no upgradable inventory. I'd have to rebook to a Main Cabin Upgradable fare (about $200 difference) and then she quoted 65K miles each way. But I'd be waitlisted and she said she had no idea if they'd open any inventory since it's in June, peak season etc. Ugh.

She suggested I call back later to see if inventory has opened up. Anyone know how far out those decisions are made? Thanks.

Last edited by Chanticleer; Apr 18, 2019 at 1:14 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Chanticleer

She suggested I call back later to see if inventory has opened up. Anyone know how far out those decisions are made? Thanks.
There is no way to know if or when more inventory will become available. Delta does not make public the factors they use to decide, so paying to upfare and then waitlist is a risk. I would guess that for summer travel that is not that far away, your chances of an upgrade are low.
Chanticleer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.