Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Note: This thread is about Mileage Upgrade Awards, which are Sky Miles upgrades that upgrade your coach seat to First Class, Delta One or Premium Select.

These are no longer available on domestic routes and have been replaced with using miles for FCM buy-ups at slightly over 1 cpm -- see the FCM thread
They are also no longer available from North America to Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America.

Important Details:
BLANK SPACE
  • Your underlying fare class remains Economy, and you are technically still booked as an economy passenger.
  • You are granted all inflight & airport benefits of having that upgraded seat (i.e. Premium security line, Sky Club access on international flights, etc).
  • You earn miles based on your original Main Cabin fare.
  • Mileage Upgrade Award prices are set by route and do not fluctuate based on the cash price of the upgrade.
  • Delta no longer publishes the miles required by route to upgrade, and the numbers below is a FT best attempt to collect this data; it may not be accurate.
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are confirmed after your coach ticket is booked (though could be in the same phone call with an agent who has checked for upgrade space before booking)
  • The only way to use Mileage Upgrade Awards is by calling Delta--there is no online option.
  • This Wiki contains only minimal information about upgrading to and from Premium Select; please share information as you gather it, either by updating the wiki or posting in the thread.
  • You must be booked in an upgradeable fare class to upgrade. It is possible to buy up to an upgradeable coach fare class and then upgrade with miles.

How to Upgrade with Delta Sky Miles
  • You can Either:
    • Call Delta and ask to book a flight that has Mileage Upgrade Awards available and then purchase and upgrade the flight at the same time with that agent. Inventory is highly limited.
    • OR, call Delta to upgrade a flight you have already booked. When you call they will either process the upgrade or tell you that there are no upgrades available.
      • If an upgrade is not available, it is possible to waitlist.
        • Mileage Upgrade Awards that are waitlisted do not transfer to the Airport Upgrade List (for gate upgrade) and cannot be cleared at the gate.
        • There have been rare exceptions reported to this rule. If you want to attempt to clear your upgrade at the airport on day of departure, speak with a red coat. This is against policy and will not usually work, but some have reported success.
  • If you want to upgrade a flight that you have already booked the change fee should be waived for this upgrade. Ask for a supervisor if this is challenged.
  • The Delta agent may offer you either Delta Upgrade Awards or Upgrade with Miles (see details below). Confirm you are getting the lowest mile option.
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
NOTE: Delta offers an additional upgrade option which is called Upgrade with Miles. These upgrades are available on US Domestic flights only and are a pay with miles type of upgrade. (meaning that, unlike Mileage Upgrade Awards, the amount of miles needed fluctuates based on the cash price of an upgrade). When you use Upgrade with Miles you will earn miles for your flight based on the cabin flown, as you have now paid (with miles) to change your ticket to a premium cabin ticket (vs an upgraded coach ticket). The mileage amounts listed in this thread are not for this program. To use Upgrade with Miles you need to log into your reservation and check for an upgrade offer or call Delta and ask. Upgrade with Miles typically requires more miles to upgrade than Mileage Upgrade Awards.
In order to use Mileage Upgrade Awards from Main Cabin or Comfort+ to First Class or Delta One, you need to be booked in the correct fare class:
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are no longer available for flights within North America and South America. These routes generally have variable online mileage upgrade offers which are based on the cash upgrade offer at the rate of 1 CPM (less 7.5% US excise tax for domestic flights).
  • For all other markets you can upgrade when booked in: Y/B/M//H/Q/K
    • You can see your booking class by logging into your reservation. Directly under your seat assignment it will say your cabin and your booking class. For example: MAIN CABIN (Q)
The wiki needs to be updated to include information about upgrading to and from Delta Premium Select.

Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents.

Other thread of potential interest:

Current Pricing (may be out of date, updates appreciated)

international main cabin to PS
Y/B/M: 25,000
H/Q/K: 35,000

US to Europe
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 35,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 65,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

US to South Asia/Oceania
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 90,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

LAX-SYD
PS (A) to D1: 17,500 miles

Historical pricing

(for curiosity/comparison, this section is a mix of really old and not so old pricing so may not make a lot of sense)

US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean First Class (Most North America routes except for flights that offer Delta One)
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

Domestic Delta One Routes (domestic transcon & Hawaii routes that offer Delta One service such as JFK-LAX, LAX-DCA, ATL-HNL, etc)
Y/B/M: 23,000 miles
H/Q/K: 28,000 miles
L/U/T: 40,000 miles

NOTE: It *might* be possible to upgrade domestic segments of a PS fare (G A P) ticket to either FC or domestic D1 (unclear which) for 17,500 miles. *Unconfirmed*

US-Hawaii (Except for Delta One routes MSP/ATL/JFK/DTW-HNL. For these routes, see Domestic Transcontinental Premium Routes )
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

US-Northern South America
Y/B/M: 30,000 miles
H/Q/K: 45,000 miles
L/U/T: 55,000 miles

US-Southern South America
Y/B/M: 40,000 miles
H/Q/K: 60,000 miles

US-Europe:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 35,000 miles
H/Q/K: 65,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 35,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One:
P/A/G: 40,000 miles
(NOTE: Confirmed on Aug 28, 2022 at this rate from JFK-AMS. Confirms books into OY class)

US-Northern Asia (Japan/Korea/China):
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 70,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One
P/A/G: 45,000 miles

US-Southeast/Southwest Asia, Micronesia, Southwest Pacific:
H/Q/K: 80,000 miles

US-Africa (incl. South Africa)

US-Middle East

US to TLV:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 90,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 40,000 miles

Print Wikipost

Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been 60K miles for K for quite some time -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ing-miles.html
Not quite the same, but not a significant difference. Prior to the 60K rate for H/Q/K fares, only Y/B/M fares were eligible for mileage upgrades on long-haul international routes.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 20, 2018 at 10:06 pm
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
65K, per leg/person, is the same rate I was quoted (a few weeks ago) for a trip in late February.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know what is included in domestic premium routes? Is it just JFK-LAX/SFO as is mentioned in the wiki, or is it any transcontinental with D1? Specifically I’m looking at booking SEA-JFK on a flight with D1 and want to know the cost to upgrade from a K fare to D1.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Can you GUC/Waitlist *and* UG using miles, see which one breaks first, then have the other yanked?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jasonl5
Does anyone know what is included in domestic premium routes? Is it just JFK-LAX/SFO as is mentioned in the wiki, or is it any transcontinental with D1? Specifically I’m looking at booking SEA-JFK on a flight with D1 and want to know the cost to upgrade from a K fare to D1.
All of the domestic D1 flights should be the same.

Edited to add: I updated the wiki for clarification. Combined all North America first class routes that have the same mileage level, and expanded transcon routes to include all premium transcon routes.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Nov 21, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Done a few mileage upgrades to Europe in the last year on K fares, quoted 65K and paid 65K also. Never offered 60K.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Can you GUC/Waitlist *and* UG using miles, see which one breaks first, then have the other yanked?
Mileage and cert upgrades come out of the same inventory bucket.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:19 am

All,
I have a non-refundable ticket to Asia that expires by 12/32/2019 and unfortunately due to family plans I cannot travel in that time period. Does anyone have any insight how I might be able to redress this or convince Delta to push the expiration date back?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jmathes34
All,
I have a non-refundable ticket to Asia that expires by 12/32/2019 and unfortunately due to family plans I cannot travel in that time period. Does anyone have any insight how I might be able to redress this or convince Delta to push the expiration date back?
What is the expiration date????
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jmathes34
All,
That's not a valid date in common U.S. formats. If you update the date I will try to get this into a suitable thread.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:55 am

MODS: I spent a little time working on the wiki.

I think this thread title should be changed to "Mileage Upgrade Awards." This is because that is what Delta calls a mileage upgrade in the way it is being discussed in this thread, and Delta calls the pay with miles type of upgrade "Upgrading with Miles" which is the current name of this thread. It's confusing that this thread is titled with a program that is the other mileage upgrade program.

I added an explanation in the wiki to help clarify the difference (others please check to see if what I wrote makes sense).

Thanks.
MSPeconomist, CarmenOM and Zorak like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I second the above request. The content in this thread is clearly about DL's Mileage Upgrade Awards which is very different from DL's Upgrading with Miles option.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The thread title change will be done!

3Cforme - Delta forum moderator
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The thread title change will be done!

3Cforme - Delta forum moderator
Thanks! And thanks for your great moderation--glad to have you in this role! Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
I waitlisted for my flight from ICN to SEA, and the amounted quoted was 45,000 miles. Agent said that this is required amount for YBM fares...

I’m really hoping that I clear soonish...(though my flight isn’t until the first wk of Jan.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.