Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Note: This thread is about Mileage Upgrade Awards, which are Sky Miles upgrades that upgrade your coach seat to First Class, Delta One or Premium Select.

These are no longer available on domestic routes and have been replaced with using miles for FCM buy-ups at slightly over 1 cpm -- see the FCM thread
They are also no longer available from North America to Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America.

Important Details:
BLANK SPACE
  • Your underlying fare class remains Economy, and you are technically still booked as an economy passenger.
  • You are granted all inflight & airport benefits of having that upgraded seat (i.e. Premium security line, Sky Club access on international flights, etc).
  • You earn miles based on your original Main Cabin fare.
  • Mileage Upgrade Award prices are set by route and do not fluctuate based on the cash price of the upgrade.
  • Delta no longer publishes the miles required by route to upgrade, and the numbers below is a FT best attempt to collect this data; it may not be accurate.
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are confirmed after your coach ticket is booked (though could be in the same phone call with an agent who has checked for upgrade space before booking)
  • The only way to use Mileage Upgrade Awards is by calling Delta--there is no online option.
  • This Wiki contains only minimal information about upgrading to and from Premium Select; please share information as you gather it, either by updating the wiki or posting in the thread.
  • You must be booked in an upgradeable fare class to upgrade. It is possible to buy up to an upgradeable coach fare class and then upgrade with miles.

How to Upgrade with Delta Sky Miles
  • You can Either:
    • Call Delta and ask to book a flight that has Mileage Upgrade Awards available and then purchase and upgrade the flight at the same time with that agent. Inventory is highly limited.
    • OR, call Delta to upgrade a flight you have already booked. When you call they will either process the upgrade or tell you that there are no upgrades available.
      • If an upgrade is not available, it is possible to waitlist.
        • Mileage Upgrade Awards that are waitlisted do not transfer to the Airport Upgrade List (for gate upgrade) and cannot be cleared at the gate.
        • There have been rare exceptions reported to this rule. If you want to attempt to clear your upgrade at the airport on day of departure, speak with a red coat. This is against policy and will not usually work, but some have reported success.
  • If you want to upgrade a flight that you have already booked the change fee should be waived for this upgrade. Ask for a supervisor if this is challenged.
  • The Delta agent may offer you either Delta Upgrade Awards or Upgrade with Miles (see details below). Confirm you are getting the lowest mile option.
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
NOTE: Delta offers an additional upgrade option which is called Upgrade with Miles. These upgrades are available on US Domestic flights only and are a pay with miles type of upgrade. (meaning that, unlike Mileage Upgrade Awards, the amount of miles needed fluctuates based on the cash price of an upgrade). When you use Upgrade with Miles you will earn miles for your flight based on the cabin flown, as you have now paid (with miles) to change your ticket to a premium cabin ticket (vs an upgraded coach ticket). The mileage amounts listed in this thread are not for this program. To use Upgrade with Miles you need to log into your reservation and check for an upgrade offer or call Delta and ask. Upgrade with Miles typically requires more miles to upgrade than Mileage Upgrade Awards.
In order to use Mileage Upgrade Awards from Main Cabin or Comfort+ to First Class or Delta One, you need to be booked in the correct fare class:
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are no longer available for flights within North America and South America. These routes generally have variable online mileage upgrade offers which are based on the cash upgrade offer at the rate of 1 CPM (less 7.5% US excise tax for domestic flights).
  • For all other markets you can upgrade when booked in: Y/B/M//H/Q/K
    • You can see your booking class by logging into your reservation. Directly under your seat assignment it will say your cabin and your booking class. For example: MAIN CABIN (Q)
The wiki needs to be updated to include information about upgrading to and from Delta Premium Select.

Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents.

Other thread of potential interest:

Current Pricing (may be out of date, updates appreciated)

international main cabin to PS
Y/B/M: 25,000
H/Q/K: 35,000

US to Europe
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 35,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 65,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

US to South Asia/Oceania
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 90,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

LAX-SYD
PS (A) to D1: 17,500 miles

Historical pricing

(for curiosity/comparison, this section is a mix of really old and not so old pricing so may not make a lot of sense)

US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean First Class (Most North America routes except for flights that offer Delta One)
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

Domestic Delta One Routes (domestic transcon & Hawaii routes that offer Delta One service such as JFK-LAX, LAX-DCA, ATL-HNL, etc)
Y/B/M: 23,000 miles
H/Q/K: 28,000 miles
L/U/T: 40,000 miles

NOTE: It *might* be possible to upgrade domestic segments of a PS fare (G A P) ticket to either FC or domestic D1 (unclear which) for 17,500 miles. *Unconfirmed*

US-Hawaii (Except for Delta One routes MSP/ATL/JFK/DTW-HNL. For these routes, see Domestic Transcontinental Premium Routes )
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

US-Northern South America
Y/B/M: 30,000 miles
H/Q/K: 45,000 miles
L/U/T: 55,000 miles

US-Southern South America
Y/B/M: 40,000 miles
H/Q/K: 60,000 miles

US-Europe:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 35,000 miles
H/Q/K: 65,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 35,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One:
P/A/G: 40,000 miles
(NOTE: Confirmed on Aug 28, 2022 at this rate from JFK-AMS. Confirms books into OY class)

US-Northern Asia (Japan/Korea/China):
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 70,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One
P/A/G: 45,000 miles

US-Southeast/Southwest Asia, Micronesia, Southwest Pacific:
H/Q/K: 80,000 miles

US-Africa (incl. South Africa)

US-Middle East

US to TLV:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 90,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 40,000 miles

Print Wikipost

Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Tried searching and not coming up with anything... Does anyone have a break down on the fare code I need to have purchased to be able to upgrade with miles? I believe it may change with the type of equipment (especially on the new A359s). Want to make sure I book the proper fare class to ensure I can even use mileage upgrades, if they come available.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:27 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DCATraveler
Tried searching and not coming up with anything... Does anyone have a break down on the fare code I need to have purchased to be able to upgrade with miles? I believe it may change with the type of equipment (especially on the new A359s). Want to make sure I book the proper fare class to ensure I can even use mileage upgrades, if they come available.
The fare class restrictions are by domestic (Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, or T) vs international (Y, B, M, H, Q, or K), not strictly by equipment (though obviously 359 means international)

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...nd-more.html#b

Under "Mileage Upgrade Awards (Upgrade After You've Already Booked)"
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCATraveler
Fare code or fare class (they are not always the same)? For main cabin/C+, the fare code must be K or higher for long-haul international. For main cabin, fare code will be the same as the fare class. But for Comfort+, the fare class is always W, so you need to look at the fare code in the fare rules. For PS fares, both fare class and code will be P/A/G and are all mileage upgradeable.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 26, 2018 at 11:35 am
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Double post...
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thank you!
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Two more data points, upgrading from Premium Economy (G):

CDG-SEA 25k
LAX-PVG 45k (D1 suites)
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, TK Elite
Another data point to add: M-fare to D1 for DTW-AMS: 35K
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Trying to upgrade my CDG - RDU flight later this week. Already was upgraded to C+ at the Gold window. Got this bizarre set of responses from @Delta -- needless to say I'll be calling when I have a free moment:
  • There are no paid Upgrades available for the CDG-RDU flight but there are Mileage Upgrades available. *AJY
  • Actually, I just noticed that you're seated in Comfort+. Unfortunately, Comfort+ fares are not Mileage Upgradeable. *AJY
  • Comfort+ Cabin is not Upgradeable into the Delta One Cabin. Only if you're Upgrading from the Main Cabin fare. *AJY
  • In order to be eligible, you would have to relist to Main Cabin then we will go over the number of Miles it would take to Upgrade. Be advised seat Upgrades are nonrefundable.
What? Why would the C+ upgrade at the gold window make you ineligible for a mileage upgrade and necessitate you downgrading back to the main cabin first? So I have to downgrade to find out the cost which might be more than I want to pay and then be out my C+ seat because their system can't handle someone being upgraded into SU and then trying to go from SU to RU?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Duke787
Trying to upgrade my CDG - RDU flight later this week. Already was upgraded to C+ at the Gold window. Got this bizarre set of responses from @Delta -- needless to say I'll be calling when I have a free moment:
  • There are no paid Upgrades available for the CDG-RDU flight but there are Mileage Upgrades available. *AJY
  • Actually, I just noticed that you're seated in Comfort+. Unfortunately, Comfort+ fares are not Mileage Upgradeable. *AJY
  • Comfort+ Cabin is not Upgradeable into the Delta One Cabin. Only if you're Upgrading from the Main Cabin fare. *AJY
  • In order to be eligible, you would have to relist to Main Cabin then we will go over the number of Miles it would take to Upgrade. Be advised seat Upgrades are nonrefundable.
What? Why would the C+ upgrade at the gold window make you ineligible for a mileage upgrade and necessitate you downgrading back to the main cabin first? So I have to downgrade to find out the cost which might be more than I want to pay and then be out my C+ seat because their system can't handle someone being upgraded into SU and then trying to go from SU to RU?
Wow, that's... something.

I mean it's literally true that SU is not one of Y/B/M/H/Q/K but they ought to be able to easily look into your record to see your original fare bucket, and they ought to be able to quote the mileage price in the abstract even if someone called up and asked the amount without having a booking.

Hope you get the "how did we do?" Twitter survey for this one.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bottomline, if you did not originally purchase a Y/B/M/H/Q/K coach fare, you are not eligible for mileage upgrades regardless if you have been upgraded to C+ or not. Unfortunately, the agents tend to get easily confused on these issues and can't really be relied upon to provide a coherent response.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
Wow, that's... something.

I mean it's literally true that SU is not one of Y/B/M/H/Q/K but they ought to be able to easily look into your record to see your original fare bucket, and they ought to be able to quote the mileage price in the abstract even if someone called up and asked the amount without having a booking.

Hope you get the "how did we do?" Twitter survey for this one.
Yeah it was a baffling exchange

Originally Posted by LBJ
Bottomline, if you did not originally purchase a Y/B/M/H/Q/K coach fare, you are not eligible for mileage upgrades regardless if you have been upgraded to C+ or not. Unfortunately, the agents tend to get easily confused on these issues and can't really be relied upon to provide a coherent response.
It's on a refundable corporate H fare (which I told the @Delta person on DM at the outset of the exchange). I know what the wiki said it *should* cost but I was looking for him/her to give me the actual quote so I could say either "yes please process" or "no I don't want to proceed further"
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I don't think Twitter is the best place to handle a mileage upgrade. They are great for resolving certain issues, especially while traveling, but I would think for a mileage upgrade you would want to work with a phone agent so you can have easy back and forth about everything and get it all done. Would they even confirm a mileage upgrade over twitter?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't think Twitter is the best place to handle a mileage upgrade. They are great for resolving certain issues, especially while traveling, but I would think for a mileage upgrade you would want to work with a phone agent so you can have easy back and forth about everything and get it all done. Would they even confirm a mileage upgrade over twitter?
It might be agent-dependent, but I imagine it would be possible.

While acknowledging this isn't the same thing, I have added GUCs (waitlisted) via Twitter in the last month. They might ask you to provide the same authentication info they ask for on the phone. (They didn't in my case, possibly because I had just selected the GUCs and they weren't visible to the agent so I had to give the full 006 number and redemption code anyway)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
It might be agent-dependent, but I imagine it would be possible.

While acknowledging this isn't the same thing, I have added GUCs (waitlisted) via Twitter in the last month. They might ask you to provide the same authentication info they ask for on the phone. (They didn't in my case, possibly because I had just selected the GUCs and they weren't visible to the agent so I had to give the full 006 number and redemption code anyway)
If you've added your Twitter handle to your DL profile they shouldn't ask for ID verification.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If you've added your Twitter handle to your DL profile they shouldn't ask for ID verification.

They should always ask for verification when deducting miles. Just like when you call and have already entered you SM number they still verify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.