Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Cancelling 2nd Leg of One way J Refundable Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2024, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Hi all,

I've tried searching the forum but can't seem to find an answer for this question. I'm planning on booking a one way J refundable ticket HND-SEA-HNL. The problem is I won't find out from work whether I'll be able to take the following week off for the Honolulu trip until I'm already in Japan. Since I'm based in Seattle, my thought was to at least have a return flight home, and then if work declines my FTO then at least I'm home, but if not, I can still fly to Honolulu for the beach vacation. If I don't fly the HNL leg, is the best thing to do to reschedule for the future or could I get a refund? I've tried reading the fare rules (copied below) but it doesn't seem to address what happens if I've already flown the first leg. Thank you in advance!

VOLUNTARY CHANGES

IN THE EVENT OF CHANGES TO TICKETED FLIGHTS BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY - APPLIES WITHIN TKT VALIDITY CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF DL INTERNATIONAL FARES NO CHARGE FOR REISSUE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS - CATEGORY 19 DISCOUNTS APPLY AND REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO FARE BREAKS 2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC 3. DL FARES ARE USED 4. ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET 5. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT OR - REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT TODAY PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC 2. DL FARES ARE USED 3. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT OR - REPRICE USING CURRENT FARES - ONLY BOOKING CODE CHANGES PERMITTED PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO FARE BREAKS 2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC 3. SAME TRAVEL DATES 4. DL FARES ARE USED 5. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM REISSUE DATE TO DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY REFUND VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT ENDORSEMENT BOX- HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW ENDORSEMENTS. OR - ANYTIME WITHIN TKT VALIDITY CERTAIN DOMESTIC REISSUE PROVISIONS MAY BE OVERRIDDEN BY THOSE OF DL INTERNATIONAL FARES NO CHARGE FOR REISSUE OR HIGHEST FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS - CATEGORY 19 DISCOUNTS APPLY AND REPRICE USING FARES IN EFFECT WHEN TKT WAS ISSUED PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET- 1. NO CHANGE TO 1ST FARE COMPONENT 2. WHEN NO INTL COUPONS REMAIN - ALL NEW TRAVEL MUST BE DOMESTIC 3. FULLY FLOWN FARE NOT REPRICED TO FURTHER POINT 4. DL FARES ARE USED 5. WHEN SAME FARE USED - ALL RULE AND BOOKING CODE PROVISIONS ARE MET EXCEPT ACCOMPANIED TRAVEL - OTHERWISE ALL PROVISIONS MUST BE MET 6. ADV RES IS MEASURED FROM ORIGINAL TKT DATE TO DEPARTURE OF PRICING UNIT REFUND VIA ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT ENDORSEMENT BOX- HIGHER NON-REF AMT AND NEW ENDORSEMENTS.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
The only issue I could see is DL might think you are trying to book a hidden city ticket being that HND-SEA is 200K Yen more than HND-SEA-HNL
Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:38 pm

Your booking OW HND--HNL so there's no refund for and/or rescheduling SEA-HNL. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GaryDD
The only issue I could see is DL might think you are trying to book a hidden city ticket being that HND-SEA is 200K Yen more than HND-SEA-HNL
That was my worry too! I did consider booking a HND/NRT-HNL direct flight and then another refundable back up HNL-SEA flight but if it turns out I don't get FTO approved I'd prefer to fly straight home to SEA....
Old Apr 16, 2024, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
Your booking OW HND--HNL so there's no refund for and/or rescheduling SEA-HNL. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Yep, one-way refundable D1 fares on HND-HNL start at around $1760, while one-way refundable for HND-SEA start at around $2600. OP, you bought a single fare (not one for each hop), and you can't just drop a segment and expect to get a refund or credit back. As long as you don't skip last leg too often, DL will not go after you. But there is some risk here in case of IRROPs as they only need to get you to HNL and they may try to route you another way than through SEA.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
Yep, one-way refundable D1 fares on HND-HNL start at around $1760, while one-way refundable for HND-SEA start at around $2600. OP, you bought a single fare (not one for each hop), and you can't just drop a segment and expect to get a refund or credit back. As long as you don't skip last leg too often, DL will not go after you. But there is some risk here in case of IRROPs as they only need to get you to HNL and they may try to route you another way than through SEA.
Makes sense thank you! I thought the flight is like buying two hops but since its a single fare as you said makes sense no refund. I've never skipped a flight leg before too.

I do want to go to HNL though, so is there any chance I can just reschedule that SEA-HNL leg for two weeks later or is it still the same principle that its one fare and not two hops?
Old Apr 16, 2024, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lily23
Makes sense thank you! I thought the flight is like buying two hops but since its a single fare as you said makes sense no refund. I've never skipped a flight leg before too.

I do want to go to HNL though, so is there any chance I can just reschedule that SEA-HNL leg for two weeks later or is it still the same principle that its one fare and not two hops?
Still one fare. Unless the fare allows a stopover (generally the cheapest don't) you'll need to fly onward from SEA within 24hrs of arrival from TYO. You'll need to book a TYO-HNL fare that allows a stopover (generally were talking full fares for this) or book TYO-SEA and SEA-HNL which means likely being much more than TYO-HNL.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Still one fare. Unless the fare allows a stopover (generally the cheapest don't) you'll need to fly onward from SEA within 24hrs of arrival from TYO. You'll need to book a TYO-HNL fare that allows a stopover (generally were talking full fares for this) or book TYO-SEA and SEA-HNL which means likely being much more than TYO-HNL.
Thank you! You're correct...I tried pricing a multi-city flight and its over 4k lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.