Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bowgie
Note: This thread is about Mileage Upgrade Awards, which are Sky Miles upgrades that upgrade your coach seat to First Class, Delta One or Premium Select.

These are no longer available on domestic routes and have been replaced with using miles for FCM buy-ups at slightly over 1 cpm -- see the FCM thread
They are also no longer available from North America to Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America.

Important Details:
BLANK SPACE
  • Your underlying fare class remains Economy, and you are technically still booked as an economy passenger.
  • You are granted all inflight & airport benefits of having that upgraded seat (i.e. Premium security line, Sky Club access on international flights, etc).
  • You earn miles based on your original Main Cabin fare.
  • Mileage Upgrade Award prices are set by route and do not fluctuate based on the cash price of the upgrade.
  • Delta no longer publishes the miles required by route to upgrade, and the numbers below is a FT best attempt to collect this data; it may not be accurate.
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are confirmed after your coach ticket is booked (though could be in the same phone call with an agent who has checked for upgrade space before booking)
  • The only way to use Mileage Upgrade Awards is by calling Delta--there is no online option.
  • This Wiki contains only minimal information about upgrading to and from Premium Select; please share information as you gather it, either by updating the wiki or posting in the thread.
  • You must be booked in an upgradeable fare class to upgrade. It is possible to buy up to an upgradeable coach fare class and then upgrade with miles.

How to Upgrade with Delta Sky Miles
  • You can Either:
    • Call Delta and ask to book a flight that has Mileage Upgrade Awards available and then purchase and upgrade the flight at the same time with that agent. Inventory is highly limited.
    • OR, call Delta to upgrade a flight you have already booked. When you call they will either process the upgrade or tell you that there are no upgrades available.
      • If an upgrade is not available, it is possible to waitlist.
        • Mileage Upgrade Awards that are waitlisted do not transfer to the Airport Upgrade List (for gate upgrade) and cannot be cleared at the gate.
        • There have been rare exceptions reported to this rule. If you want to attempt to clear your upgrade at the airport on day of departure, speak with a red coat. This is against policy and will not usually work, but some have reported success.
  • If you want to upgrade a flight that you have already booked the change fee should be waived for this upgrade. Ask for a supervisor if this is challenged.
  • The Delta agent may offer you either Delta Upgrade Awards or Upgrade with Miles (see details below). Confirm you are getting the lowest mile option.
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
BLANK SPACE
NOTE: Delta offers an additional upgrade option which is called Upgrade with Miles. These upgrades are available on US Domestic flights only and are a pay with miles type of upgrade. (meaning that, unlike Mileage Upgrade Awards, the amount of miles needed fluctuates based on the cash price of an upgrade). When you use Upgrade with Miles you will earn miles for your flight based on the cabin flown, as you have now paid (with miles) to change your ticket to a premium cabin ticket (vs an upgraded coach ticket). The mileage amounts listed in this thread are not for this program. To use Upgrade with Miles you need to log into your reservation and check for an upgrade offer or call Delta and ask. Upgrade with Miles typically requires more miles to upgrade than Mileage Upgrade Awards.
In order to use Mileage Upgrade Awards from Main Cabin or Comfort+ to First Class or Delta One, you need to be booked in the correct fare class:
  • Mileage Upgrade Awards are no longer available for flights within North America and South America. These routes generally have variable online mileage upgrade offers which are based on the cash upgrade offer at the rate of 1 CPM (less 7.5% US excise tax for domestic flights).
  • For all other markets you can upgrade when booked in: Y/B/M//H/Q/K
    • You can see your booking class by logging into your reservation. Directly under your seat assignment it will say your cabin and your booking class. For example: MAIN CABIN (Q)
The wiki needs to be updated to include information about upgrading to and from Delta Premium Select.

Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents.

Other thread of potential interest:

Current Pricing (may be out of date, updates appreciated)

international main cabin to PS
Y/B/M: 25,000
H/Q/K: 35,000

US to Europe
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 35,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 65,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

US to South Asia/Oceania
Main Cabin (fare class Y, B, M) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles
Main Cabin (fare class H, Q, K) to Delta One - requires OY - 90,000 miles
Premium Select (fare class P, A, G) to Delta One - requires OY - 45,000 miles

LAX-SYD
PS (A) to D1: 17,500 miles

Historical pricing

(for curiosity/comparison, this section is a mix of really old and not so old pricing so may not make a lot of sense)

US/Canada/Mexico/Caribbean First Class (Most North America routes except for flights that offer Delta One)
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

Domestic Delta One Routes (domestic transcon & Hawaii routes that offer Delta One service such as JFK-LAX, LAX-DCA, ATL-HNL, etc)
Y/B/M: 23,000 miles
H/Q/K: 28,000 miles
L/U/T: 40,000 miles

NOTE: It *might* be possible to upgrade domestic segments of a PS fare (G A P) ticket to either FC or domestic D1 (unclear which) for 17,500 miles. *Unconfirmed*

US-Hawaii (Except for Delta One routes MSP/ATL/JFK/DTW-HNL. For these routes, see Domestic Transcontinental Premium Routes )
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

US-Northern South America
Y/B/M: 30,000 miles
H/Q/K: 45,000 miles
L/U/T: 55,000 miles

US-Southern South America
Y/B/M: 40,000 miles
H/Q/K: 60,000 miles

US-Europe:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 35,000 miles
H/Q/K: 65,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 35,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One:
P/A/G: 40,000 miles
(NOTE: Confirmed on Aug 28, 2022 at this rate from JFK-AMS. Confirms books into OY class)

US-Northern Asia (Japan/Korea/China):
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 70,000 miles

Premium Select to Delta One
P/A/G: 45,000 miles

US-Southeast/Southwest Asia, Micronesia, Southwest Pacific:
H/Q/K: 80,000 miles

US-Africa (incl. South Africa)

US-Middle East

US to TLV:
Main Cabin to Delta One:
Y/B/M: 45,000 miles
H/Q/K: 90,000 miles

Main Cabin to Premium Select:
Y/B/M: 25,000 miles
H/Q/K: 40,000 miles

Print Wikipost

Delta Mileage Upgrade Awards

Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emg2919
If you don't clear before the flight, can you get activated by the GA on the waitlist? I thought I remembered reading something about if you don't clear prior to day of the flight, that you won't clear.

Maybe it was 3 hrs prior or something?

Can't find that post. I've used miles to upgrade a Q fare, ATL-CDG. Hoping for the upgrade.
This is addressed in the T&C's --

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...de-awards.html

"Upgrades may be confirmed on Delta or Delta Connection carrier- operated any time up to three hours before departure, if available."
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:58 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Delta's use-miles-to-upgrade is terrible. I always thought it was basically a joke because A: There HAS to be availability, and B: It's a ridiculous amount of miles to waste if you only buy cheap Y tickets (which, let's be honest. MOST people do!).

I switched about half of my flying (about 100k miles per year) to OW and AA has awesome $350+25,000 Miles on many of the EU and Asian routes I fly--even from the cheapest of MR-fare tickets.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's generally tough to get upgrades on that route.
It can be tough to buy a J seat at times. While i go through AMS for personal trips, for work I always check ATL. There's been multiple times i couldn't pay for J two weeks out.

It and the South African flight are the only two US/South Africa flights a day. Everything else requires connecting in Europe. I've met UA GS and AA CK that take the DL regularly. Makes for a very full and paid J cabin.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LBJ
Where are getting 115K from? Wiki currently says 35K for Y/B/M, and 80K for H/Q/K. Sounds like you are relying on old Points Guy blog post which is no longer correct.
Yup. Good to know that isn't really true. I know seat map is not the best indicator, but it shows 14 unassigned seats in D1 so far. Here's hoping ... for Oct 13.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
A change fee to use miles to upgrade? That doesn't sound right.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Probably fee needed to upfare to lowest upgradable fare class. Most just assume any coach ticket can be upgraded.
That was what I figured. Was more annoyed that they couldn't tell me how many miles it would require.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
So, i just got off the phone with DL about upgrading the ATL-JNB route. It is indeed 80,000 miles. Interestingly, they kept telling me that upgrades on a Q fare are not possible. I had to literally tell the supervisor and direct her to the Delta website. Their excuse? These are recent changes.

I ended up on the Waitlist and I had to tell them that a waitlist is possible. They didn't know. This was through calling the Silver medallion line!

Is this a normal experience? I've dealt with CX, UA, and AA regarding mileage upgrades before and it's always been incredibly straightforward. This literally took almost an hour.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Am I correct assuming that I cannot upgrade with miles on VS if I purchased the ticket from VS, not from DL ?

Not 100% sure on how to interpret "flights marketed by DL": DL does sell seats on the flight I purchased.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by thesaints
Am I correct assuming that I cannot upgrade with miles on VS if I purchased the ticket from VS, not from DL ?

Not 100% sure on how to interpret "flights mareketed by DL"
Are you hoping to use VS miles or DL miles?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Skymiles
Old Sep 12, 2017, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Housekeeping: I copied the wiki over from the "Skymiles July Announcements" thread because this one has a much more obvious title.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thesaints

Not 100% sure on how to interpret "flights marketed by DL": DL does sell seats on the flight I purchased.
It means your flight carries a DL code. If you booked with VS code for flight number you can't.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It means your flight carries a DL code. If you booked with VS code for flight number you can't.
However, sometimes (presumably if it's DL ticket stock or a ticket issued by DL) DL agents can rewrite the ticket to use the DL flight number so that you can do the upgrade. This seems to work on AF/KLM, but I'm not sure I've seen reports of it with VS.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, sometimes (presumably if it's DL ticket stock or a ticket issued by DL) DL agents can rewrite the ticket to use the DL flight number so that you can do the upgrade. This seems to work on AF/KLM, but I'm not sure I've seen reports of it with VS.
Don't think it works with VS tickets. AF/KL tickets can be handled by DL since DL handles their affairs in US. Also most AF/KL fares don't seem to mind if you use the DL vs AF/KL flight code.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:16 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by LBJ
This is addressed in the T&C's --

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...de-awards.html

"Upgrades may be confirmed on Delta or Delta Connection carrier- operated any time up to three hours before departure, if available."
In my case I was trying to upgrade on a Q fare atl-cdg last week and they would NOT activate me on the waitlist/day of departure upgrade list.

It seems like you will only clear if they open upgrade space up 24hrs prior to departure. Which is unlikely.

So essentially unless you clear when you apply the mileage and book, you will probably not get upgraded.

So far I am 0/1. Will have another Q fare cdg-atl next week to try.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: DL DM
My plan this time is to not check-in until I get to the airport. Last time, I checked in ~20hrs before the first flight, and I think that removed me from the waitlist, as you can only be waitlisted and not added to the day of departure upgrade list. Once you check-in, I think it removes you from the waitlist.

My thinking is, if they open seats after 24 hours and anytime up until you check-in, that I will have a better shot at getting the upgrade.

This is of course assuming it is all coded correctly in the reservation.

Hopefully this works, even though I'll be burning 60k miles, I'll give it a shot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.