Wiki Posts
Search

Can you will miles to family members

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,NW,UA,DL, HH GOLD, Platinum AMB IC
Can you will miles to family members

I read several years ago an article about willing miles to family members. Is this still possible????????? thanks

Last edited by Bonny31; Sep 1, 2017 at 11:26 am
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
my understanding is you can transfer them, but you pay a fee.

It is better to just give the account info to whomever you want to have the miles and they can use the miles under the original account holder.

this is what happened to co-worker of mine. She tried to get her husbands miles transferred but was going to lose a LOT of miles for the fee. The rep told her to just log into his account and use them as she wished.
Bonny31 and altabello like this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:21 am

Just one of numerous existing threads that answer your question:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...am-update.html
Bonny31 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Bonny31
I read several years ago an article about willing miles to family members. Is this still possible????????? thanks
You could at one time, but DL management have done away with this option.

Their assertion: even though you earned the miles, they claim the airline still owns the miles. Hence, you cannot will them to anyone since they are not your property.

"Miles are not the property of any member. Except as specifically authorized in the Membership Guide and Program Rules or otherwise in writing by an officer of Delta, miles may not be sold, attached, seized, levied upon, pledged, or transferred under any circumstances, including, without limitation, by operation of law, upon death, or in connection with any domestic relations dispute and/or legal proceeding."

Even if you buy miles:

https://www.delta.com/buygftxfer/displayBuyMiles.action

... the miles you purchased are still not your property.

It's very convenient for the airline when it can write all the rules in its favor.
Bonny31 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
You could at one time, but DL management have done away with this option.

Their assertion: even though you earned the miles, they claim the airline still owns the miles. Hence, you cannot will them to anyone since they are not your property.

"Miles are not the property of any member. Except as specifically authorized in the Membership Guide and Program Rules or otherwise in writing by an officer of Delta, miles may not be sold, attached, seized, levied upon, pledged, or transferred under any circumstances, including, without limitation, by operation of law, upon death, or in connection with any domestic relations dispute and/or legal proceeding."

Even if you buy miles:

https://www.delta.com/buygftxfer/displayBuyMiles.action

... the miles you purchased are still not your property.

It's very convenient for the airline when it can write all the rules in its favor.
There's also a practical reason. If you owned them, then IRS would tax you on them.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Delta SkyMiles never expire... until you do!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
At least you can't lose them in a divorce.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's also a practical reason. If you owned them, then IRS would tax you on them.
How? As a source of income when you earn them?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
And yet, other airlines do let them be transferred upon death.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
And yet, other airlines do let them be transferred upon death.
I was replying to the not owning question.

Don't disagree on transfering between accounts like others allow.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please point me to any indication that the IRS ever did, or expressed an intent, to tax FF miles.

Somehow, I have a hard time believing that DL management's reversal of what had been a compassionate policy was based upon an altruistic desire to protect me or my heirs from the IRS.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Ledfish
At least you can't lose them in a divorce.
You still can. I know at least two people that mitigated their other losses by offering their ex spouse SkyMiles.

NOW, back to the bigger point, THE DELTA SKYMILES DEATH PENALTY is among the WORST of the policies that they have. They should be ashamed and change this policy immediately.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
You still can. I know at least two people that mitigated their other losses by offering their ex spouse SkyMiles.

NOW, back to the bigger point, THE DELTA SKYMILES DEATH PENALTY is among the WORST of the policies that they have. They should be ashamed and change this policy immediately.
^

As my program affiliation attests: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

However, shame is not an emotion that Va Ave appears to be capable of.
DiverDave likes this.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Sep 2, 2017 at 10:02 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Please point me to any indication that the IRS ever did, or expressed an intent, to tax FF miles.

Somehow, I have a hard time believing that DL management's reversal of what had been a compassionate policy was based upon an altruistic desire to protect me or my heirs from the IRS.
Never said that was the sole reason. However it is a reason. This gets argued periodically, but generally each time an accountant or lawyer weighs in, the view is that it would be treated as income. Income that would be easy to track and wouldn't be so small as to be written off as insignificant. Miles are basically a currency.

Think of it like if you got Bitcoin instead of miles. (Assumimg in this case you owned the miles, like you would the Bitcoin) You'd be expected to pay taxes on the income. $5 in value here or there they really could careless about. But we're talking hundreds/thousands of dollars in value for those earning lots of miles a year. Also easy to track who has earned what. Basically if we owned the miles, it would be a bank account, but in miles instead of dollars.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never said that was the sole reason. However it is a reason. This gets argued periodically, but generally each time an accountant or lawyer weighs in, the view is that it would be treated as income. Income that would be easy to track and wouldn't be so small as to be written off as insignificant. Miles are basically a currency.

Think of it like if you got Bitcoin instead of miles. (Assumimg in this case you owned the miles, like you would the Bitcoin) You'd be expected to pay taxes on the income. $5 in value here or there they really could careless about. But we're talking hundreds/thousands of dollars in value for those earning lots of miles a year. Also easy to track who has earned what. Basically if we owned the miles, it would be a bank account, but in miles instead of dollars.
But, do you have any information that the IRS has ever taxed FF miles?

Or, for that matter, allowed a charitable deduction for the cash equivalent of a FF mileage donation to a charity?

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Sep 2, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.