Standby List Names Got Delta One Seats

Old Sep 1, 17, 5:12 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ATL/PDK/LZU
Programs: DL KM, GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓, CLEAR, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,849
It's a perk that lets them hire people that would otherwise be paid more and costs a heck of a lot less than paying at market for people like accounting, legal, other administrative roles. I think being able to advertise that as a benefit of the job is a huge benefit to the airline.
sky303 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 17, 5:46 pm
  #77  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Originally Posted by sky303 View Post
It's a perk that lets them hire people that would otherwise be paid more and costs a heck of a lot less than paying at market for people like accounting, legal, other administrative roles. I think being able to advertise that as a benefit of the job is a huge benefit to the airline.
That's the theory that's alwayz posted here, but, I can't help thinking that most people would still take the job anyway - at the same pay. They'd still get the same free travel benefits; just not in J.

Don't get me wrong - - - I'm not taking sides, and it really doesn't make a difference to me either way.

davetravels is offline  
Old Sep 1, 17, 6:28 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Posts: 3,199
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
That's the theory that's alwayz posted here, but, I can't help thinking that most people would still take the job anyway - at the same pay. They'd still get the same free travel benefits; just not in J.

Don't get me wrong - - - I'm not taking sides, and it really doesn't make a difference to me either way.

I have no problem with non-revs getting the best seats available. They do get domestic F if the upgrade list is exhausted as well. No biggie.
SJC ORD LDR is offline  
Old Sep 1, 17, 8:12 pm
  #79  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Posts: 13,213
Originally Posted by Jeff767 View Post
Delta never places non revenue travelers ahead of revenue passengers who can upgrade within the policies of the airline. I guess what you are saying is that they should always fill the front cabin on every flight with free upgrades. That would certainly cause a huge degradation in revenue.
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
How so? Non revs are flying for free, right?
Yes, but that's not the sense he's talking about.

Effect #1 : if there is a chance you can get upgraded for free, some people who might otherwise have WFBF will instead take their chances with the upgrade lottery. In this scenario DL loses out on revenue because such people bought cheaper Y fares instead of buying F outright.

Effect #2 : the chance for a free upgrade might cause someone who would not otherwise fly DL, or fly DL as much, to buy a DL ticket vs. another airline or driving.

Which of the two effects is greater is basically the root of the debate.

Non-revs are irrelevant (to this discussion point, I mean, I love my NR friends that I have made through FT ) because (in theory, if there is no Shena, which I realize there is in practice) they are seated only after eligible elite upgrades have been processed. So they do not by themselves cause less revenue for the airline because they are not taking a seat away from a paying passenger (whether WFBF outright or upgraded from a Y ticket)
Zorak is offline  
Old Sep 1, 17, 8:24 pm
  #80  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Non-revs are irrelevant (to this discussion point, I mean, I love my NR friends that I have made through FT ) because (in theory, if there is no Shena, which I realize there is in practice) they are seated only after eligible elite upgrades have been processed. So they do not by themselves cause less revenue for the airline because they are not taking a seat away from a paying passenger (whether WFBF outright or upgraded from a Y ticket)
BINGO! Egggggggzactly!
davetravels is offline  
Old Sep 1, 17, 8:59 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Posts: 1,313
Originally Posted by rileydogmi View Post
Although not Delta One, very strange on my SFO-DTW flight #745 that is coming up in a few hours. This morning, there were 4 seats open and 38 on the upgrade list - there are also 30+ people on the standby list to get 30 or so seats. Appears oversold and at checkin the system was asking for volunteers.

Now, three people on the standby list (not the FC upgrade list) cleared into first, all showing main cabin and assigned FC seats! 38 people still on the upgrade list. Since it is more than an hour before the flight, not sure why.

I already have a FC seat but I have never seen this on a domestic flight. I saw this on my TATL flight a month ago with Delta One but never on a domestic...
I got word they were all revenue passengers booked into first that needed a seat assignment. Not sure about the details, but nothing was done wrong.

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
That's the theory that's alwayz posted here, but, I can't help thinking that most people would still take the job anyway - at the same pay. They'd still get the same free travel benefits; just not in J.
For some jobs like pilots, yeah, I don't think it makes a huge difference. Their pay is so high pass travel isn't a make or break factor. But as long as other airlines offer it, it's not like you can just cut your program either. However for low-paying jobs like rampers or gate agents, pass travel can be a huge perk. Some take the job just for that benefit alone.

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Effect #1 : if there is a chance you can get upgraded for free, some people who might otherwise have WFBF will instead take their chances with the upgrade lottery. In this scenario DL loses out on revenue because such people bought cheaper Y fares instead of buying F outright.

Effect #2 : the chance for a free upgrade might cause someone who would not otherwise fly DL, or fly DL as much, to buy a DL ticket vs. another airline or driving.
It's clear that the legacy airlines believe the effect surrounding #1 wins out, otherwise they wouldn't all limit business upgrades. Another effect of it is that J pricing would have to fall to become attractive against free upgrades.
minnyfly is offline  
Old Sep 1, 17, 9:16 pm
  #82  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,953
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Yes, but that's not the sense he's talking about.

Effect #1 : if there is a chance you can get upgraded for free, some people who might otherwise have WFBF will instead take their chances with the upgrade lottery. In this scenario DL loses out on revenue because such people bought cheaper Y fares instead of buying F outright.

Effect #2 : the chance for a free upgrade might cause someone who would not otherwise fly DL, or fly DL as much, to buy a DL ticket vs. another airline or driving.

Which of the two effects is greater is basically the root of the debate.

Non-revs are irrelevant (to this discussion point, I mean, I love my NR friends that I have made through FT ) because (in theory, if there is no Shena, which I realize there is in practice) they are seated only after eligible elite upgrades have been processed. So they do not by themselves cause less revenue for the airline because they are not taking a seat away from a paying passenger (whether WFBF outright or upgraded from a Y ticket)
Thye're not totally irrelevant for this discussion in that the same logic applies: If not for the premium cabin nonrev privilege, some of the nonrevs would have purchased premium cabin tickets, although the percentage might be smaller than the percentage of hypothetically upgraded revenue customers who otherwise would have instead purchased a premium cabin ticket.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 1, 17, 9:31 pm
  #83  
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PIT
Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Posts: 15,408
Originally Posted by minnyfly View Post
.For some jobs like pilots, yeah, I don't think it makes a huge difference. Their pay is so high pass travel isn't a make or break factor. But as long as other airlines offer it, it's not like you can just cut your program either. However for low-paying jobs like rampers or gate agents, pass travel can be a huge perk. Some take the job just for that benefit alone.
Right, but, I would think that for most non-managerial positions, people looking for jobs need to work to earn a living, and just free past travel alone, even in Y, is good enough to entice people to take the job. Flying for free in J is just the icing on the cake.
davetravels is offline  
Old Sep 1, 17, 9:36 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ATL/PDK/LZU
Programs: DL KM, GlobalEntry, TSA Pre✓, CLEAR, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,849
I think what I was thinking was that, while it would probably not be much of a problem recruitment wise if they ALL changed to Y only, or at least YJ instead of JY priority; one airline changing it sees a natural competitive advantage loss when it comes to recruitment. But maybe that's overthinking it.
sky303 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 17, 9:42 pm
  #85  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,953
Originally Posted by sky303 View Post
I think what I was thinking was that, while it would probably not be much of a problem recruitment wise if they ALL changed to Y only, or at least YJ instead of JY priority; one airline changing it sees a natural competitive advantage loss when it comes to recruitment. But maybe that's overthinking it.
Are airlines really competing with each other to hire the same people or do job seekers take jobs where they are located or at the time the job is needed? If someone can get a DL job at ATL now, do they really think in terms of the UA job at UA that could become available in six months?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 1, 17, 10:45 pm
  #86  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Diamond, all of them.
Posts: 25
Oh my Gawd! People who work for the airline, who make the airline run, got bumped ahead of the overweight middle aged businessman. I would sue I tell ya! Sue Sue Sue!!! Either that or buy a F'N first class seat like I do. Time to change your diapers...
PreteniousFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 2, 17, 9:05 am
  #87  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
How so? Non revs are flying for free, right?
they are never squeezing out a paying customer, though.

Free upgrades for medallions would cause a lot of DMs to buy Y instead of J.
pvn is offline  
Old Sep 2, 17, 9:06 am
  #88  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
Originally Posted by PreteniousFlyer View Post
Oh my Gawd! People who work for the airline, who make the airline run, got bumped ahead of the overweight middle aged businessman.
No, they don't.
pvn is offline  
Old Sep 2, 17, 1:17 pm
  #89  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,179
Getting past the definitions of "pilot" versus "captain," the bottom line is there are no freebie Medallion UG's on international or other D1 services. In fact, the freebies on DL & UA are pretty much of a worldwide exception.

OPUPS are granted for "operational" reasons, most often the fact that the aircraft is overbooked in Y and at risk of an oversale. It is to DL's operational advantage to bump some Y pax to J rather than pay out IDB/VDB.

The theory behind not doling these out to Y pax is the same as non-US carriers, and AA except as to EXP's, have as to UG's in the first place. The more freebies, the more diluted the product becomes. It does brand damage.

Non-rev's on the other hand, are not brand-sensitive. They simply get the best seat available after all other pax are acommodated. On an international flight, that means D1 if there are people who have not paid for them.
Often1 is online now  
Old Sep 2, 17, 1:37 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PIT to MSP to PIT; repeat
Programs: Delta, United, AA, Jet Blue .... Whichever is Cheapest
Posts: 1,477
Originally Posted by PreteniousFlyer View Post
Oh my Gawd! People who work for the airline, who make the airline run, got bumped ahead of the overweight middle aged businessman.
Hey, who are you calling middle aged?
RRDD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: