Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Standby List Names Got Delta One Seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It's a perk that lets them hire people that would otherwise be paid more and costs a heck of a lot less than paying at market for people like accounting, legal, other administrative roles. I think being able to advertise that as a benefit of the job is a huge benefit to the airline.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:46 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sky303
It's a perk that lets them hire people that would otherwise be paid more and costs a heck of a lot less than paying at market for people like accounting, legal, other administrative roles. I think being able to advertise that as a benefit of the job is a huge benefit to the airline.
That's the theory that's alwayz posted here, but, I can't help thinking that most people would still take the job anyway - at the same pay. They'd still get the same free travel benefits; just not in J.

Don't get me wrong - - - I'm not taking sides, and it really doesn't make a difference to me either way.

Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by davetravels
That's the theory that's alwayz posted here, but, I can't help thinking that most people would still take the job anyway - at the same pay. They'd still get the same free travel benefits; just not in J.

Don't get me wrong - - - I'm not taking sides, and it really doesn't make a difference to me either way.

I have no problem with non-revs getting the best seats available. They do get domestic F if the upgrade list is exhausted as well. No biggie.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Jeff767
Delta never places non revenue travelers ahead of revenue passengers who can upgrade within the policies of the airline. I guess what you are saying is that they should always fill the front cabin on every flight with free upgrades. That would certainly cause a huge degradation in revenue.
Originally Posted by apodo77
How so? Non revs are flying for free, right?
Yes, but that's not the sense he's talking about.

Effect #1 : if there is a chance you can get upgraded for free, some people who might otherwise have WFBF will instead take their chances with the upgrade lottery. In this scenario DL loses out on revenue because such people bought cheaper Y fares instead of buying F outright.

Effect #2 : the chance for a free upgrade might cause someone who would not otherwise fly DL, or fly DL as much, to buy a DL ticket vs. another airline or driving.

Which of the two effects is greater is basically the root of the debate.

Non-revs are irrelevant (to this discussion point, I mean, I love my NR friends that I have made through FT ) because (in theory, if there is no Shena, which I realize there is in practice) they are seated only after eligible elite upgrades have been processed. So they do not by themselves cause less revenue for the airline because they are not taking a seat away from a paying passenger (whether WFBF outright or upgraded from a Y ticket)
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
Non-revs are irrelevant (to this discussion point, I mean, I love my NR friends that I have made through FT ) because (in theory, if there is no Shena, which I realize there is in practice) they are seated only after eligible elite upgrades have been processed. So they do not by themselves cause less revenue for the airline because they are not taking a seat away from a paying passenger (whether WFBF outright or upgraded from a Y ticket)
BINGO! Egggggggzactly!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by rileydogmi
Although not Delta One, very strange on my SFO-DTW flight #745 that is coming up in a few hours. This morning, there were 4 seats open and 38 on the upgrade list - there are also 30+ people on the standby list to get 30 or so seats. Appears oversold and at checkin the system was asking for volunteers.

Now, three people on the standby list (not the FC upgrade list) cleared into first, all showing main cabin and assigned FC seats! 38 people still on the upgrade list. Since it is more than an hour before the flight, not sure why.

I already have a FC seat but I have never seen this on a domestic flight. I saw this on my TATL flight a month ago with Delta One but never on a domestic...
I got word they were all revenue passengers booked into first that needed a seat assignment. Not sure about the details, but nothing was done wrong.

Originally Posted by davetravels
For some jobs like pilots, yeah, I don't think it makes a huge difference. Their pay is so high pass travel isn't a make or break factor. But as long as other airlines offer it, it's not like you can just cut your program either. However for low-paying jobs like rampers or gate agents, pass travel can be a huge perk. Some take the job just for that benefit alone.

Effect #1 : if there is a chance you can get upgraded for free, some people who might otherwise have WFBF will instead take their chances with the upgrade lottery. In this scenario DL loses out on revenue because such people bought cheaper Y fares instead of buying F outright.

Effect #2 : the chance for a free upgrade might cause someone who would not otherwise fly DL, or fly DL as much, to buy a DL ticket vs. another airline or driving.
It's clear that the legacy airlines believe the effect surrounding #1 wins out, otherwise they wouldn't all limit business upgrades. Another effect of it is that J pricing would have to fall to become attractive against free upgrades.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, but that's not the sense he's talking about.

Which of the two effects is greater is basically the root of the debate.

Thye're not totally irrelevant for this discussion in that the same logic applies: If not for the premium cabin nonrev privilege, some of the nonrevs would have purchased premium cabin tickets, although the percentage might be smaller than the percentage of hypothetically upgraded revenue customers who otherwise would have instead purchased a premium cabin ticket.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly
.For some jobs like pilots, yeah, I don't think it makes a huge difference. Their pay is so high pass travel isn't a make or break factor. But as long as other airlines offer it, it's not like you can just cut your program either. However for low-paying jobs like rampers or gate agents, pass travel can be a huge perk. Some take the job just for that benefit alone.
Right, but, I would think that for most non-managerial positions, people looking for jobs need to work to earn a living, and just free past travel alone, even in Y, is good enough to entice people to take the job. Flying for free in J is just the icing on the cake.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I think what I was thinking was that, while it would probably not be much of a problem recruitment wise if they ALL changed to Y only, or at least YJ instead of JY priority; one airline changing it sees a natural competitive advantage loss when it comes to recruitment. But maybe that's overthinking it.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sky303
I think what I was thinking was that, while it would probably not be much of a problem recruitment wise if they ALL changed to Y only, or at least YJ instead of JY priority; one airline changing it sees a natural competitive advantage loss when it comes to recruitment. But maybe that's overthinking it.
Are airlines really competing with each other to hire the same people or do job seekers take jobs where they are located or at the time the job is needed? If someone can get a DL job at ATL now, do they really think in terms of the UA job at UA that could become available in six months?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Diamond, all of them.
Oh my Gawd! People who work for the airline, who make the airline run, got bumped ahead of the overweight middle aged businessman. I would sue I tell ya! Sue Sue Sue!!! Either that or buy a F'N first class seat like I do. Time to change your diapers...
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:05 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by apodo77
How so? Non revs are flying for free, right?
they are never squeezing out a paying customer, though.

Free upgrades for medallions would cause a lot of DMs to buy Y instead of J.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:06 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by PreteniousFlyer
Oh my Gawd! People who work for the airline, who make the airline run, got bumped ahead of the overweight middle aged businessman.
No, they don't.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Getting past the definitions of "pilot" versus "captain," the bottom line is there are no freebie Medallion UG's on international or other D1 services. In fact, the freebies on DL & UA are pretty much of a worldwide exception.

OPUPS are granted for "operational" reasons, most often the fact that the aircraft is overbooked in Y and at risk of an oversale. It is to DL's operational advantage to bump some Y pax to J rather than pay out IDB/VDB.

The theory behind not doling these out to Y pax is the same as non-US carriers, and AA except as to EXP's, have as to UG's in the first place. The more freebies, the more diluted the product becomes. It does brand damage.

Non-rev's on the other hand, are not brand-sensitive. They simply get the best seat available after all other pax are acommodated. On an international flight, that means D1 if there are people who have not paid for them.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by PreteniousFlyer
Oh my Gawd! People who work for the airline, who make the airline run, got bumped ahead of the overweight middle aged businessman.
Hey, who are you calling middle aged?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.