Standby List Names Got Delta One Seats

Old Aug 30, 17, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Non-revs on standby are assigned the best available seat on the plane once all elites are properly dealt with. Properly dealing with elites does not include giving them gratis /op-up upgrades to D1 when they have booked economy.

Yes, non-revs may score longhaul business class on that basis. Other side of the coin: they may be back in 38B just as often, or waitlist in vain for one sold-out flight after another.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by kxc262 View Post
Had 12 non-revs when I went from SEA-HKG. They basically took the whole D1 cabin.
I've had the same experience on the same route. The slightly annoying thing is many of them knew each other and some of the flight crew, and the resultant chatter/revelry made sleeping very difficult even with the lie-flat seat. I know I'm not entitled to a quiet cabin on a long flight, but I would prefer one.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by acrophobia View Post
I've had the same experience on the same route. The slightly annoying thing is many of them knew each other and some of the flight crew, and the resultant chatter/revelry made sleeping very difficult even with the lie-flat seat. I know I'm not entitled to a quiet cabin on a long flight, but I would prefer one.
Well, you are "entitled" not to be disturbed or have your D1 experience otherwise made less enjoyable by the behavior of nonrevs, whether it's making noise and turning the D1 cabin into a party or poaching your seat/insisting that you switch seats for the convenience of nonrevs. IMO you should have complained about the noise when it prevented you from sleeping in the flat bed seat that you had purchased.
Bear4Asian likes this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 30, 17 at 11:59 am
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Non-revs are not really upgraded, they clear straight from standby list into D1. If they are moved up from coach into D1 that's a different situation.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:28 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Corganbr View Post
Any idea if 8 non-revs is a common occurrence in that route? So non-revs have higher priority over Platinum Medallions?
Since medallions don't have any priority for international D1 upgrades, then yes, non-revs have higher priority than you. What were you mad about, exactly? You weren't denied anything you were entitled to.
CPMaverick and DeltaDunce like this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:33 am

Programs: DL GM
Flown non-rev numerous times on buddy passes.

Nonrevs dont get priority over Medallions to get ON the plane but do get priority on better seats.

So as others have stated, they work the regular PAX first, then work the non-revs. But the non-revs can sit anywhere. So its best available seat.

On buddy passes, it was rare to get D1 but I have had it happen a few times. I typically sat in C+, bulkhead, and then somtimes jammed in the back of the plane in a middle seat.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
What happens if a Delta employee is on a paid coach ticket and there is room in D1? Will they get upgraded?
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:47 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
This week I was on GRU-JFK and the flight looked full. There were several names in the standby list and as a Platinum medallion I had hopes for a OP-UP. I was surprised and angry when I saw many last minute people settling in Delta One. Then I checked the app and 8 people from standby got Delta One seats even though the status said "main cabin".

Does anyone know what happened? I want to write a complaint letter to DL but thought I should check here before I do.
They didn't KWYA
DeltaDunce likes this.
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
I saw this earlier this month on SFO - BOS. At least the rules are clear and we know that we need to use a RUC/GUC to upgrade to D1.

I've also seen on SJC - ATL someone go from the standby list to F while there are still 20 people on the upgrade list. Does anyone know how that happens? Is it SDS or SHENA?
Old Aug 30, 17, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
I've also seen on SJC - ATL someone go from the standby list to F while there are still 20 people on the upgrade list. Does anyone know how that happens? Is it SDS or SHENA?
Probably a lazy GA not willing to come onboard and UG PAX and just put a non-rev there. Not SHENA as YBYL will always be a factor no matter what DLs memo says as it's always up to the GAs discretion to come onboard and UG PAX.
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
What happens if a Delta employee is on a paid coach ticket and there is room in D1? Will they get upgraded?
Dont see too many delta people on regular tickets (just observing friends and shooting the .... with our non-revs during a non-rev trip). If they do buy a ticket, they dont have any status from my understanding and would get the same treatment as a non-medallion.

But they can buy tickets for cheaper than us anyways so they may just buy up anyways, idk.
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by kxc262 View Post
Had 12 non-revs when I went from SEA-HKG. They basically took the whole D1 cabin.
How can you tell they are non-revs by looking at the standby list?
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
Yes, non-revs may score longhaul business class on that basis. Other side of the coin: they may be back in 38B just as often, or waitlist in vain for one sold-out flight after another.
A good friend of mine <who's probably reading this > was working as a GA at DTW at the time. He was flying non-rev from DTW/NRT and eventually SIN.

While still at the gate at DTW, sitting in J sipping on a PDB, the GA working the flight boarded and told him that, someone had run to the gate from a late connecting arrival that was on a paid J ticket.

My friend was the lowest non-rev on the plane, so he got booted back to a middle seat in Y on a B744 at the very last second for the 13 hour flight!

THAT'S the breaks on non-rev travel! NOT fun!
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
A good friend of mine <who's probably reading this > was working as a GA at DTW at the time. He was flying non-rev from DTW/NRT and eventually SIN.

While still at the gate at DTW, sitting in J sipping on a PDB, the GA working the flight boarded and told him that, someone had run to the gate from a late connecting arrival that was on a paid J ticket.

My friend was the lowest non-rev on the plane, so he got booted back to a middle seat in Y on a B744 at the very last second for the 13 hour flight!

THAT'S the breaks on non-rev travel! NOT fun!
This happened to a friend of mine, but she was in Y. She had to get off the plane.

Last to board nonrevs hold their breath till the door is shut.
Old Aug 30, 17, 12:49 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Any idea if 8 non-revs is a common occurrence in that route?
8 non-revs on any D1 route isn't unusual. Sometimes there's more. Sometimes there's less. Sometimes there's not enough non-revs to fill the D1 cabin. All depends on the loads for that day.

Originally Posted by yohanson View Post
Would have to think that would very uncommon as it doesn't make much sense to buy a ticket as an employee. But if they do they are treated like a normal passenger.

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR View Post
SDS or IRROPS most likely. Revenue passengers top the standby lists, and sometimes they have priority for F.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: