Search

Fares not published online

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:48 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by techie
I am not an expert in these things, but I would have thought that the fare must be published in some way, shape or form for it to be bookable via Expedia online.
The individual fares are published. When doing this you are buying a JAX-ATL fare and a ATL-TPA fare. Separate fares for each segment.

Delta does not publish a JAX-TPA fare.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That's not a problem of Delta failing to serve a viable market. That's a problem of failing to understand U.S. geography at a level taught to sixth-graders.

https://books.google.com/books?id=g6...20maps&f=false

Enjoy a Silver Airways Saab 340 non-stop scheduled at 67 minutes.
Actually, I will "enjoy" AA's CRJ/Airbus/Embraer via either CLT or MIA.
Originally Posted by LBJ
Contrary to the agent's assertion, this trip can be found and booked as a single ticket on the website simply by using multi-city search. There is no DL published fare for this route, so the ticket consists of two separate one-way fares combined on a single ticket. The delta.com one-way search will sometimes price out broken fare options, but not always (and it may not always be the cheapest). Other websites are more capable of piecing together broken fare options which is why you were able to find it on them. Your cheapest option is two X fares (fare code XAVNL0MB) for $220 total. Even though they share the same fare code these are actually two different fare filings with separate pricings (one for JAX-ATL and one for ATL-TPA). There are some slightly cheaper one-way E, V, X fares available, but they cannot be combined on a single ticket because of the following fare rule in the combinability section --

"IF THE FARE IS USED END- ON-END MUST BE AN A-B-A COMBINATION."

So you could potentially save a few bucks by buying the flights as two separate tickets ($196 total for two V fares, or $166 for two E fares). Fare rules can be found at the "Fare Rules" link on delta.com when you price out an itin.
Too much hassle. AA let me book it as a simple round trip. Delta's loss.
Originally Posted by TTT
The individual fares are published. When doing this you are buying a JAX-ATL fare and a ATL-TPA fare. Separate fares for each segment.

I am not desperate to fly with DL to jump through all the hoops they have created. If they do not want to account for all the permutations going through their global hub, I'll take my business elsewhere.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA does the same on many routings where DL does publish a fare. Same with UA.

The key is to price it out and purchase the better deal. In your case, almost certainly cheaper on AA.

But, the notion that you have discovered some deep dark secret and that it applies to DL only is simply incorrect.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:06 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not desperate to fly with DL to jump through all the hoops they have created. If they do not want to account for all the permutations going through their global hub, I'll take my business elsewhere.
That's exactly what Delta wants you to do. They can't/don't want to compete in this market.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It can be difficult to book RTs to Europe connecting through AMS/CDG with an overnight connection under 24 hours on the return.
It used to be you could use the multi-destination option on the DL website to both, 1) hammer together a 24-hour overnight connection; or, 2) select a routing with longer layovers - - some of which might actually be cheaper than the fares you see when you pull up the (now somewhat limited) listing of straight round-trips. Unfortunately, Delta.com will not piece together these segment-specific routings for you, like it used to.

The way around this is to find your fare/routing on ITA Matrix - - where you can choose the multi-destination option, and then very narrowly specify the timeframe for the flights you want to see (e.g., 2pm-5pm only; after 9pm only). ITA Matrix will then only show you flights for the times you specify, and price them out lowest first. For instance, for Chicago-Budapest, the DL website might not even show you any MSP connections - - but you can select ORD-MSP//MSP-AMS//AMS-BUD on ITA Matrix, and choose the times you want to fly between each, and price it out. You can then call Delta and specify each flight you want them to get for you, and have them price it out. It should match what you find on ITA Matrix (has worked for me).
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:45 pm

In this case, it would appear that driving your own car (if its a viable option for you) is cheaper and takes about the same time once you factor in the time needed to complete the formalities that take time in addition to flying (checkin / TSA / baggage / ride to & from airport to destination & origin).

Nothing to hide with the route: JAX-ATL-TPA.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:24 pm

Actually, I will "enjoy" AA's CRJ/Airbus/Embraer via either CLT or MIA.

Too much hassle. AA let me book it as a simple round trip. Delta's loss.

Considering your profile shows you as a BA elite, I'd expect that AA is more lucrative for you from an earnings perspective anyway.

That being said, the fastest flight I was able to find via AA was 3:05 connecting through MIA. DL was similar, at 3:09 through ATL. A direct flight on Silver Airways is only 1:07 and costs over 30% less than the cheapest connecting flight on a legacy. It makes sense to me why DL didn't go to the trouble to price this city pair; frankly, I'm surprised AA did.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Never change, FlyerTalk.
hi55us likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTT

I recently tried to buy JAX-ATL-MIA and was unable unless I wanted to purchase each leg separately.

Originally Posted by zeebanker
In this case, it would appear that driving your own car (if its a viable option for you) is cheaper and takes about the same time once you factor in the time needed to complete the formalities that take time in addition to flying (checkin / TSA / baggage / ride to & from airport to destination & origin).
No thank you. That can be a 4-5 hour drive. I'd hop on Silver which flies JAX-TPA.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomMM
I recently tried to buy JAX-ATL-MIA and was unable unless I wanted to purchase each leg separately.

Like OP's route, you can bring up purchasable broken fare ticket options for this routing by using multi-city search on delta.com. It's not that DL is preventing you from buying them, it's just that one-way and roundtrip searches won't display the broken fare combinations on this route. As with OP's route, you will not be able to combine the cheaper E, V, and certain X fares as they only permit A-B-A routing with end-on-end fare combinations. A single one-way ticket with the cheapest combinable X fares will be $213.80. While you could purchase two separate V fare tickets on this route for $103.20 + $88.20 = $191.40. E fares are $15 cheaper on each segment (saving another $30). These X, V, and E fares have a 3 week advance purchase requirement. Buying closer-in will push you up to higher fare classes that do not have the A-B-A routing requirement and it will be cheaper to buy as a single ticket as you will save the $5.60 additional in TSA taxes on the second ticket.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 30, 2017 at 8:09 am
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
AA does the same on many routings where DL does publish a fare. Same with UA.

The key is to price it out and purchase the better deal. In your case, almost certainly cheaper on AA.

But, the notion that you have discovered some deep dark secret and that it applies to DL only is simply incorrect.
When you discover something for the first time having never come across it through lots of past travel, you inherently think there is something shady.
Originally Posted by TTT
That's exactly what Delta wants you to do. They can't/don't want to compete in this market.
Given that Silver and AA are happy to compete, it seems strange why Delta feel they are too good for it.
Originally Posted by zeebanker
Aw hell no. I ain't driving for hours on i-95 and i-4 in traffic and through Orlando to work for several hours and then drive back. Flying is a lot more comfortable and I don't have baggage and have PreCheck for expedited security.
Originally Posted by ntr91
Considering your profile shows you as a BA elite, I'd expect that AA is more lucrative for you from an earnings perspective anyway.

That being said, the fastest flight I was able to find via AA was 3:05 connecting through MIA. DL was similar, at 3:09 through ATL. A direct flight on Silver Airways is only 1:07 and costs over 30% less than the cheapest connecting flight on a legacy. It makes sense to me why DL didn't go to the trouble to price this city pair; frankly, I'm surprised AA did.
I forgot to update it that I am also a Delta Gold and costs are secondary to scheduling. I don't mind kicking back some cash AA's way from time to time, especially if Delta "encourage" me to do so.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:50 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that Silver and AA are happy to compete, it seems strange why Delta feel they are too good for it.
​​​​​​They aren't too good for it, it's not personal. Someone at Delta realized they can't compete with Silver on time or cost, so why bother?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
When you discover something for the first time having never come across it through lots of past travel, you inherently think there is something shady.

Aw hell no. I ain't driving for hours on i-95 and i-4 in traffic and through Orlando to work for several hours and then drive back. Flying is a lot more comfortable and I don't have baggage and have PreCheck for expedited security.

I forgot to update it that I am also a Delta Gold and costs are secondary to scheduling. I don't mind kicking back some cash AA's way from time to time, especially if Delta "encourage" me to do so.
While you might want to fly this route and cost is 2ndry for you, for most this isnt the case. Its not a route that DL passengers are asking for, nor one that they can make high yields on. AA at least makes some sense as MIA is an AA hub. Unlike ATL it's not "going the wrong direction."
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
​​​​​​They aren't too good for it, it's not personal. Someone at Delta realized they can't compete with Silver on time or cost, so why bother?
How much would it cost Delta to create a fare and publish it? If people don't buy it then what would they lose?
Originally Posted by flyerCO
While you might want to fly this route and cost is 2ndry for you, for most this isnt the case. Its not a route that DL passengers are asking for, nor one that they can make high yields on. AA at least makes some sense as MIA is an AA hub. Unlike ATL it's not "going the wrong direction."
Why do DL need to make high yields on a route via their ATL hub? It's a hub and spoke model so as long as the individual legs make commercial sense then the entire route should be possible. And I'd take issue with "via MIA" not being in the wrong direction, since you go south to only then go north west, so there is an element of double-backing. But that's purely academical.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:41 pm

[Deleted. Nothing new or useful to add other than what others have said above.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.