Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mystery DL flight # to ATL.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RRDD
Is the flight fairly full? It could be a charter that's using many of the seats. Delta then sells the rest.
No thanks. I would hate to have purchased a "normal" ticket for an apparently scheduled flight with a legacy airline and discover that many of the seats on the aircraft have bee sold to charter customers, perhaps a group. If I had wanted to fly a charter flight, I would not have purchased a ticket on DL.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No thanks. I would hate to have purchased a "normal" ticket for an apparently scheduled flight with a legacy airline and discover that many of the seats on the aircraft have bee sold to charter customers, perhaps a group. If I had wanted to fly a charter flight, I would not have purchased a ticket on DL.
Delta does not sell seats on charter flights. In fact they will not even allow non revenue travel to include pilots on the cockpit jumpseat.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I believe I bought ticket on a charter flight on UX once. I think it had a strange flight number and couldn't find that it was normally operating route. I bought it at the last minute.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I am curious. You get on a plane full of strangers at airport A and fly to airport B. What is different about a charter flight that would differentiate it from a normal scheduled flight route? How would you as a passenger have a different experience if you did not know? Do Charter People look different or smell bad or something? DL gets you safely from A to B for the price you pay, like a regular flight.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I am curious. You get on a plane full of strangers at airport A and fly to airport B. What is different about a charter flight that would differentiate it from a normal scheduled flight route? How would you as a passenger have a different experience if you did not know? Do Charter People look different or smell bad or something? DL gets you safely from A to B for the price you pay, like a regular flight.
The aforementioned poster, in general, has an amusing pretentiousness not rooted in reality. In fact, he/she has probably been on many flights where the bulk of seats are occupied by a single group, in effect a charter. One would never really know this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by audidudi
I am flying from SFO>ATL on Wednesday night on DL8772, which is being operated by a B752. I have never seen this flight # before, and am wondering if anyone here has any info about it. Just seems an odd one, as it's not even listed in the Flight Schedules on DL.com.
The other odd thing is that ever since I booked the flight earlier this month, there hasn't been a single seat showing in either FC or C+, and I have remained in Y ever since, and not even been upgraded to C+ at the 5-day window, or since! I've never had that happen before, as at the very least I have always been instantly upgraded to C+, upon booking, to ATL, on every flight. I'll be interested to see where I am on the upgrade list at T-24! I wonder what's different about this "extra" flight?

Last edited by audidudi; Aug 29, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:20 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Right now, it appears to be almost sold out! Only 1 F seat left. It shows W0 - So, does that mean that C+ is sold out?
Attached Images  
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by davetravels
Right now, it appears to be almost sold out! Only 1 F seat left. It shows W0 - So, does that mean that C+ is sold out?
Or DL is restricting the number of seats available for sale on this flight.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Or DL is restricting the number of seats available for sale on this flight.
Wouldn't that basically be the same thing?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by woodford02A
The aforementioned poster, in general, has an amusing pretentiousness not rooted in reality. In fact, he/she has probably been on many flights where the bulk of seats are occupied by a single group, in effect a charter. One would never really know this.
You don't get to be a "legend" by keeping quiet.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:33 pm

After a loooong 18 minutes of flying <according to flightaware> it looks as though your carriage has arrived at SFO!

Also, it appears to be sold out now. No seats showing for sale on Delta.com nor ExpertFlyer.

Good luck if you're able to take a VDB!
Attached Images   

Last edited by davetravels; Aug 30, 2017 at 6:42 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Love that S-curve. I wonder how many gallons of fuel they carried.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

I finally got upgraded to C+ at T-24 and I'm not sure where that seat came from, as a dummy booking never showed any availability in C+, so someone must have cancelled their flight, and I am currently #1/38 for 0 seats for FC on an M fare!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by audidudi
I finally got upgraded to C+ at T-24 and I'm not sure where that seat came from, as a dummy booking never showed any availability in C+, so someone must have cancelled their flight, and I am currently #1/38 for 0 seats for FC on an M fare!
Did'ja get a VDB bid offer when you checked in?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
Did'ja get a VDB bid offer when you checked in?
Nope! But I did get upgraded to FC at the boarding gate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.