Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will HA charge me bag fees if it's a DL codeshare?

Will HA charge me bag fees if it's a DL codeshare?

Old Aug 28, 17, 1:00 pm

OP is going to the mainland, so first flight in an ideal scenario would be OGG-SEA or OGG-LAX. DL runs both. After some of my horrendous dealings with HA though, I would happily connect in LAX to go OGG-HNL.
Old Aug 28, 17, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
I find it amusing that some say to avoid HA... there isn't really much for options, and Island Air charges bag fees also.
That's why I only visit one island at a time. I'll do anything to avoid HA.
Old Aug 28, 17, 5:21 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Chick-fil-A Red
+1 for buying their first class to avoid the bag fees. That's what we did, and since it was marketed as DL6xxx, it eventually posted as 750 MQMs for the inter-island segment.

By the way the HA lounges we visited in LIH and ITO were not worthwhile at all. In ITO the terminal was nicer than the lounge. Oh, and the door locks were taped open...
Old Nov 1, 17, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I signed up for their FF program and used the "contact us" on their (terrible) website to request a status match. I sent the request on a Friday, and by Tuesday they had matched my Delta DM and/or AS Gold 75K to their Pulani Platinum level, which gets priority boarding, 3 free checked bags, and access to their lounges.
This is a very interesting approach - does Hawaiian have a published match program or did you just ask as a one-off goodwill gesture?
Old Nov 1, 17, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
... I knew someone who was flying DL metal back who qualifies for free bags and just gave them my bag to check.
say WHAT? they must REALLY trust you
Old Nov 2, 17, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by matthew64832 View Post
This is a very interesting approach - does Hawaiian have a published match program or did you just ask as a one-off goodwill gesture?
I did a search for Hawaiian Airlines Status Match. I have made 3 trips there for work this year - once to two islands and twice to 3. I carry a small tool bag that has some screwdrivers and X-acto knives that security doesn't like, so I was getting killed on bag fees. Besides that, they discount their change fees for members, and I think I remember that they charge less for FC upgrades - $50 instead of $60, or something like that.

Anyway, I went to their Contact Us form, sent screenshots of my Delta and AS status pages and the following text:
Do you offer a status match opportunity? I am currently Diamond Medallion with Delta and MVP Gold 75K with Alaska. My work related travel to Hawaii has picked up quite a bit, as next week will be my 3rd trip this year. My travel has been primarily on Delta the last few years, but I have started moving my west coast flights to Alaska. It would be nice to have more options for Hawaii, as well. Thank you
3 days later they replied with
Aloha Qwkynuf,

We are glad to inform you that your request for OA Elite Status Match has been approved to HA Platinum Elite Status valid thru 02/28/2018. Please allow 3 business days for your status to be reflected.

Please be reminded that any future elite status request may not be authorized and needs to earn qualifying flight miles/segments on Hawaiian Airlines. Your HA Platinum kit will be processed in 2-3 weeks.
I sent the request in early August, so I got about 6 months out of it. Sadly though, it now looks like I am unlikely to go back again this year.
Old Nov 2, 17, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
I usually just buy up to first. It covers the bags.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: