Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Fee on Flight Operated by Hawaiian Airlines when flying on Delta ticket

Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold

On our return flight from Hawaii, the first leg (LIH-HNL) is operated by Hawaiian Airlines. The Flight is listed as DL6804.

On Delta, we have 2 free bags each, due to status and AMEX. My question is whether we will have to pay HA's baggage fees. Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 8:31 am

We could get into a long, involved conversation (and probably will) with lots of "we got this" and "we didn't get that" and numerous DOT reg quotes. There is a long thread on the Hawaii-Based Airlines forum.

However, unless Hawaiian Airlines was the marketing carrier for that ticket, count on paying HA bag fees.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Don't you mean unless DL is the marketing carrier (which the DL6804 number means it is marketed by DL)? I thought fees etc are based on the marketing and also subsequent segments... for example if you have a domestic first leg that goes to intl, then you get the intl baggage allowance.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
yogimax, write to delta and print/take

Difficult to tell what will happen. Agree with earlier post that you'll get a lot of "I got", "I didn't get". Bottom line: all doesn't mean anything until you get to that HAL ticket counter and they tell you what will happen.

Before my trip, I wrote to Delta and got a written response that it was covered. I also tweeted Delta and got another written response, same thing, covered since it is a DL coded flight. Got to Hawaiian Airlines and they
charged me. I showed them the written word from Delta, didn't mean a thing to them. I asked for a supervisor, got her name, even had someone on the Diamond line from Delta, and...bottom line, if you want to get on that plane, you pay the baggage fees.

So, be prepared for whatever happens, but I strongly suggest you get something in writing from Delta so you can at least get a receipt from Hawaiian Airlines and send it to Delta looking for that reimbursement. Hopefully, you won't get charged, but one never knows.

Good luck!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: All of the Above
Odds are you will have to pay for the bags. I had to.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Wow - Hard to imagine there is so little clarity on this. I will email DL and see what they say.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
DOT rules say the standard baggage allowance rules for the entire journey - but don't require Hawaiian give you a Delta elite allowance.

Check the Delta baggage pages for codeshare partners.

The Hawaiian Airlines baggage agent will give you whatever the computer says. It's better automated, to assure regulatory compliance and respect elite benefits.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DavidAL
Odds are you will have to pay for the bags. I had to.

+1
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by yogimax
On our return flight from Hawaii, the first leg (LIH-HNL) is operated by Hawaiian Airlines. The Flight is listed as DL6804.

On Delta, we have 2 free bags each, due to status and AMEX. My question is whether we will have to pay HA's baggage fees. Thanks!
Glad you brought this up -- I have the same situation next week: a return trip from Hawaii with the first leg OGG-HNL on Hawaiian; all other flights on DL. Ticket purchased on DL website and all flights have DL flight numbers. I called the Medallion line today and got a great rep who first contacted Hawaiian Airlines directly, then confirmed the bad news with DL's Customer Service desk. We will have to pay $25 for the first checked bag with Hawaiian, but the bag will be checked all the way through to our destination (don't have to retrieve it in HNL). DL status has no effect in this situation.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Quite honestly, I don't understand this. I bought the ticket from Delta...
Delta lists the flight as a Delta flight...
So why aren't the luggage rules Delta's???
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Quite honestly, I don't understand this. I bought the ticket from Delta...
Delta lists the flight as a Delta flight...
So why aren't the luggage rules Delta's???
Because HA is the operating carrier. It happened to me when I did an island hop in 2009. Now, I don't do island hops.

Also, HA will weigh your carry on. At least that was my experience. They are not a very good airline IMO.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Not very helpful reply...

Thank you for contacting Delta Air Lines regarding your upcoming travel
to Hawaii.

Based on the information you have provided, your request cannot be
addressed via e-mail.

Please contact our Reservation Sales Department at 800-221-1212,
404-765-5000, or the number on the back of your SkyMiles card. A
representative will be glad to assist you.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:31 am

Not very helpful reply...
And whatever their telephone reply, is unlikely to carry much weight with a HA representative.

If you're leaving at a time when the Delta desk is staffed for one of their direct flights to the mainland, you may be able to check in with Delta ---- problem solved.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by udontknowme
And whatever their telephone reply, is unlikely to carry much weight with a HA representative.

If you're leaving at a time when the Delta desk is staffed for one of their direct flights to the mainland, you may be able to check in with Delta ---- problem solved.
Unfortunately, it's part of a multi-leg itinerary that begins LIH-HNL.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: DL DM
I am flying KOA-HNL-SLC-XXX, with the KOA-HNL leg on Hawaiian. From this thread, I understand I will probably have to pay the baggage fee. A trivial question, though: will Hawaiian put some sort of Priority tags on the baggage? Or I assume I'll be out of luck on that for pickup at my XXX destination (where it would be nice to have...)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.