Question on changing a flight

Old Aug 24, 17, 11:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: MidSouth
Programs: AA; Delta GM
Posts: 727
Question on changing a flight

I am new Silver Medallion member. We booked a flight BNA to PHX. The relative we were planning to visit no longer wishes to have visitors.

Fine. Whatever. We booked W class fares in Delta Comfort. I'm trying to figure out the change fee. I checked the Delta website, but it didn't give any info (that I could readily find) about change fees for Medallion members. Is it the same fee to change the flight to something else? Or is there a discount for being a Medallion member?

Thanks!
aquamarinesteph is offline  
Old Aug 25, 17, 12:03 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Posts: 4,507
When I was a platinum member it was $200 change fee for almost all fares that weren't full fares.

Sorry your relative no longer likes you. :-)
apodo77 is offline  
Old Aug 25, 17, 12:34 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bye Delta
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 15,269
The fee does not vary by status, so expect to pay the $200 per person to change or cancel. However, what may be likely to happen to Medallions is being offered a fee waiver by the agent. No rhyme or reason to when this happens - it is purely in their discretion - but it has happened occasionally to people who were not expecting it.
javabytes is offline  
Old Aug 25, 17, 5:16 am
  #4  
TTT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45° North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 9,753
If the person you were trying to visit is sick that would help in getting a fee waiver.
TTT is offline  
Old Aug 25, 17, 8:50 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: DL DM/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat., SPG Plat., IHG Spire Elite/Royal Ambassador
Posts: 1,327
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph View Post
I am new Silver Medallion member. We booked a flight BNA to PHX. The relative we were planning to visit no longer wishes to have visitors.

Fine. Whatever. We booked W class fares in Delta Comfort. I'm trying to figure out the change fee. I checked the Delta website, but it didn't give any info (that I could readily find) about change fees for Medallion members. Is it the same fee to change the flight to something else? Or is there a discount for being a Medallion member?

Thanks!
You probably bought a non-refundable ticket, so you have two choices...either you keep your original flights and go to PHX anyway, or cancel the trip and DL will give you an e-credit into your wallet to be used on any flight in the next 12 months from the original issue date. Regarding a change fee, you will probably be subject to that as an FO, but you never know!
audidudi is offline  
Old Aug 25, 17, 9:11 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 339
I can speak to being an FO and having the change fee waived on rare (and unexpected) occasion. I've gotten it waived 2x in the past year, once when cancelling a ticket under $200, and once when changing to a flight the next day at the same fare level.

No pattern to it, I also had to pay the fee on two other occasions, but it never hurts to see
jk88usa is offline  
Old Aug 25, 17, 9:24 am
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,687
Presuming that your e-tickets carry a change fee of $200 or more, I would not do anything until closer to the flight time.

If in the meantime, there is a substantial schedule change or the flight is cancelled, you will be entitlted to a full refund of your e-tickets to your original form of payment such as a credit card.

Just be careful that you read the specific terms of the cancellation policy. The policy generally requires cancellation prior to scheduled flight time or you lose the entire ticket value. So, cutting things too close while you sit on hold or your internet service goes on the blink, is a poor idea.
MEMLawGuy likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 25, 17, 10:57 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Posts: 20,223
Originally Posted by jk88usa View Post
I can speak to being an FO and having the change fee waived on rare (and unexpected) occasion. I've gotten it waived 2x in the past year, once when cancelling a ticket under $200, and once when changing to a flight the next day at the same fare level.

No pattern to it, I also had to pay the fee on two other occasions, but it never hurts to see
If you are batting 50% you are the luckiest person on the planet. Delta does waive change fees unless there is an overriding reason. I have probably paid 200 change fees and waived once when there wasn't an overriding reason but even then the agent thought there was an overriding reason.
indufan is offline  
Old Aug 25, 17, 5:08 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 339
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
If you are batting 50% you are the luckiest person on the planet. Delta does waive change fees unless there is an overriding reason. I have probably paid 200 change fees and waived once when there wasn't an overriding reason but even then the agent thought there was an overriding reason.
I wish I was that lucky, I would've won the powerball

In all seriousness though: one of the waived fees when changing to the next day was simply never charged by the agent on the phone, and I got the email while on the phone, so I didn't say anything.

In the other case, I had already checked-in, and got a stomach bug, so I filled out that "cancellation request form" online, and within 4 days I unexpectedly got a call saying I could use the ticket value in the future with the change fee waived. Nice gesture, no idea why

And in the other two cases, I paid. So I don't consider it "that" lucky
jk88usa is offline  
Old Aug 25, 17, 10:46 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: MidSouth
Programs: AA; Delta GM
Posts: 727
Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate it! :-)
aquamarinesteph is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: