FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Question on changing a flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1863058-question-changing-flight.html)

aquamarinesteph Aug 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Question on changing a flight

I am new Silver Medallion member. We booked a flight BNA to PHX. The relative we were planning to visit no longer wishes to have visitors.

Fine. Whatever. We booked W class fares in Delta Comfort. I'm trying to figure out the change fee. I checked the Delta website, but it didn't give any info (that I could readily find) about change fees for Medallion members. Is it the same fee to change the flight to something else? Or is there a discount for being a Medallion member?

Thanks!

apodo77 Aug 25, 2017 12:03 am

When I was a platinum member it was $200 change fee for almost all fares that weren't full fares.

Sorry your relative no longer likes you. :-)

javabytes Aug 25, 2017 12:34 am

The fee does not vary by status, so expect to pay the $200 per person to change or cancel. However, what may be likely to happen to Medallions is being offered a fee waiver by the agent. No rhyme or reason to when this happens - it is purely in their discretion - but it has happened occasionally to people who were not expecting it.

TTT Aug 25, 2017 5:16 am

If the person you were trying to visit is sick that would help in getting a fee waiver.

audidudi Aug 25, 2017 8:50 am

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph (Post 28733393)
I am new Silver Medallion member. We booked a flight BNA to PHX. The relative we were planning to visit no longer wishes to have visitors.

Fine. Whatever. We booked W class fares in Delta Comfort. I'm trying to figure out the change fee. I checked the Delta website, but it didn't give any info (that I could readily find) about change fees for Medallion members. Is it the same fee to change the flight to something else? Or is there a discount for being a Medallion member?

Thanks!

You probably bought a non-refundable ticket, so you have two choices...either you keep your original flights and go to PHX anyway, or cancel the trip and DL will give you an e-credit into your wallet to be used on any flight in the next 12 months from the original issue date. Regarding a change fee, you will probably be subject to that as an FO, but you never know!

jk88usa Aug 25, 2017 9:11 am

I can speak to being an FO and having the change fee waived on rare (and unexpected) occasion. I've gotten it waived 2x in the past year, once when cancelling a ticket under $200, and once when changing to a flight the next day at the same fare level.

No pattern to it, I also had to pay the fee on two other occasions, but it never hurts to see

Often1 Aug 25, 2017 9:24 am

Presuming that your e-tickets carry a change fee of $200 or more, I would not do anything until closer to the flight time.

If in the meantime, there is a substantial schedule change or the flight is cancelled, you will be entitlted to a full refund of your e-tickets to your original form of payment such as a credit card.

Just be careful that you read the specific terms of the cancellation policy. The policy generally requires cancellation prior to scheduled flight time or you lose the entire ticket value. So, cutting things too close while you sit on hold or your internet service goes on the blink, is a poor idea.

indufan Aug 25, 2017 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jk88usa (Post 28734760)
I can speak to being an FO and having the change fee waived on rare (and unexpected) occasion. I've gotten it waived 2x in the past year, once when cancelling a ticket under $200, and once when changing to a flight the next day at the same fare level.

No pattern to it, I also had to pay the fee on two other occasions, but it never hurts to see

If you are batting 50% you are the luckiest person on the planet. Delta does waive change fees unless there is an overriding reason. I have probably paid 200 change fees and waived once when there wasn't an overriding reason but even then the agent thought there was an overriding reason.

jk88usa Aug 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 28735201)
If you are batting 50% you are the luckiest person on the planet. Delta does waive change fees unless there is an overriding reason. I have probably paid 200 change fees and waived once when there wasn't an overriding reason but even then the agent thought there was an overriding reason.

I wish I was that lucky, I would've won the powerball :D

In all seriousness though: one of the waived fees when changing to the next day was simply never charged by the agent on the phone, and I got the email while on the phone, so I didn't say anything.

In the other case, I had already checked-in, and got a stomach bug, so I filled out that "cancellation request form" online, and within 4 days I unexpectedly got a call saying I could use the ticket value in the future with the change fee waived. Nice gesture, no idea why

And in the other two cases, I paid. So I don't consider it "that" lucky

aquamarinesteph Aug 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate it! :-)