Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

C+ on the CRJ: upgrade/downgrade musical chairs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Million Miler

Flew 28apr prior to the Economy Comfort policy on the CRJ's. Was sitting in 8C. After the door closed, 4 people up front were asked to move to the back for weight and balanced reasons. 4 volunteered, and we all clapped as they came back.

Then just flew yesterday, May 1st, again on a CRJ. This time, a couple of Sky bp people were told, when they scanned their bp's, that they had been upgraded. They apparently had C+ upgrades requested in their records, and were given upgrades to row 1 (the C+ row on the CRJ).

Then the door closed, and the FA announced that one person in rows 1 through 4 would need to move to the back of the plane, or else the plane would not leave the gate. Again, people had just been upgraded to Row 1 - - were they expected to immediately rescind their upgrades? Nobody else moved, from rows 1 through 4 - - I was in 1C (booked it with a phone call two weeks ago), so I just unbuckled and moved back.

When the FA got back to row 13, I asked her if the C+ benefits would still apply, and she looked surprised, but gave me a Woodford.

The question: if people get upgraded to Row 1 (C+) but then need to be downgraded due to weight and balance issues (or bury their heads to avoid scrutiny, then feel slightly guilty the whole flight for not volunteering), what kind of a dog and pony show is C+ on CRJ's anyways?
Old May 2, 2017, 5:12 pm

Flight attendants should change their solicitation to ignore row 1.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:13 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Usually, when I've seen this happen, the pax who ended up moving, can move BACK after the plane is in the air.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
Flight attendants should change their solicitation to ignore row 1.
Why don't you go ahead and email that "suggestion" to IFS?
Old May 2, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the concept of C+ on a CRJ continues to make me raise my eyebrows ...
Old May 2, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
the concept of C+ on a CRJ continues to make me raise my eyebrows ...
Literally every agent and FA I've talked to thinks it's a joke.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:31 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jrl767
. . . . . make me raise my eyebrows ...
Any pics of that?!?

Old May 2, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Why don't they make the exit rows C+ on the CRJ200?

The last time I did DTW-SBN, there were weight and balance issues on the CRJ200 in both directions. I did oblige the FA and move back from the front to the rear. Of course, the flight is only about 25 minutes westbound and 35 minutes eastbound.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ND76
Why don't they make the exit rows C+ on the CRJ200?

The last time I did DTW-SBN, there were weight and balance issues on the CRJ200 in both directions. I did oblige the FA and move back from the front to the rear. Of course, the flight is only about 25 minutes westbound and 35 minutes eastbound.
Because if C+ was only row 8, then those who are eligible for C+ upgrades but not eligible for exit rows would complain.

Maybe make 1 and 8 C+? Those are the only barely tolerable seats on a CRJ...

If I were in row 2 and they asked me move back I'd have no issue. All seats in a CRJ other than rows 1 and 8 are equally miserable.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kitkat77
Because if C+ was only row 8, then those who are eligible for C+ upgrades but not eligible for exit rows would complain.

Maybe make 1 and 8 C+? Those are the only barely tolerable seats on a CRJ...

If I were in row 2 and they asked me move back I'd have no issue. All seats in a CRJ other than rows 1 and 8 are equally miserable.
I disagree. It takes longer to deplane from the rear of the aircraft. You're close to the lavatory. Also, my impression is that it's noisier back there.

BTW, does anyone know how much extra DL asks for a C+ W fare on the CRJ routes? If you're "downgraded" from a paid C+ seat, do you get a $200 voucher as compensation or just the fare difference?
Old May 3, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I completely agree that C+ on the CRJ2 is a joke with no discernible benefit except for a free bottle of booze. Since most of us have plane side checked bag, getting off earlier is of little use since we will wait on the jet bridge the same amount of time anyway. I always go for the exit row first and then do my best to get a row with nobody next to me, which I have succeeded at some times. But basically with the CRJ2 your best choice is to drink before you get on, download a few shows to Netflix and hunker down and pray for daylight.

With that said if they do have to W&B, and C+ is considered a separate class of service provided to those who paid more or have status, then yes they should ask rows 2-4.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I disagree. It takes longer to deplane from the rear of the aircraft. You're close to the lavatory. Also, my impression is that it's noisier back there.

BTW, does anyone know how much extra DL asks for a C+ W fare on the CRJ routes? If you're "downgraded" from a paid C+ seat, do you get a $200 voucher as compensation or just the fare difference?
From what I've seen, it's generally $6-10 over C-, at least on nonstop routes. It could be more if it's part of a more complex itinerary.

For award tickets, it's the standard 5K miles extra, a wonderful 0.0012/CPM.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That's a bargain if someone gets two drinks, and of course more so if there's a checked bag.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's a bargain if someone gets two drinks, and of course more so if there's a checked bag.
C+ doesn't come with a free checked bag.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by WWads
C+ doesn't come with a free checked bag.
OOPS: you're right. I was thinking of kettles saving money by going for the FCM fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.