Crazy DL Prices ATL to CUN

Old Aug 24, 17, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LTPlat, Hertz PC
Well here is part of the problem... looking at fares that are filed, I only see down to L or U depending if you stay to a Sun, both with 28d advanced purchase.

So Delta doesn't have the 'cheap' fares filed for the low buckets.

Funny thing... you can go BOS-ATL-CUN for less than half the price of ATL-CUN
Old Aug 24, 17, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
Book it at the airport and save $18.99 per direction, upgrade to a Big Front Seat and Spirit Airlines won't be *that* bad.
You remind me of a friend of mine. We went to the Caribbean a few years ago. All but one of us booked on AA, the other on Spirit.

Big storm hits the NE US.

We all were delayed. The AA passengers got home a day late. The Spirit Saver was told "it's probably going to be 7 days" After 3 days she paid full fare on AA to fly home.

(But she's never again told us how stupid we were to pay for a real airline LOL!)

To the OP. Get creative.... Greenville, Chattanooga??? Seriously, I am flying to Orlando spending the night and then flying to London. Savings were almost $700!

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Aug 24, 17 at 11:58 am
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM
If I was you, I would just wait it out. I bet fares drop
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:59 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
There should be a "definitive" thread for "I don't want to spend $X for the flight I want but I also don't want to take a cheaper flight that is available and I'm mad" containment.

Old Aug 24, 17, 1:08 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Well here is part of the problem... looking at fares that are filed, I only see down to L or U depending if you stay to a Sun, both with 28d advanced purchase.

So Delta doesn't have the 'cheap' fares filed for the low buckets.

Funny thing... you can go BOS-ATL-CUN for less than half the price of ATL-CUN
And, CHI, DFW, IAH, MCO, FLL, etc, etc. This is nothing more than the standard legacy pricing model that has been around for ages of charging a premium for the non-stop routes out of their dominant hubs. Checking out DTW-CUN, everything is $700+ on the non-stop's. Exact same situation. And, depending on the route, you will see UA doing the similar pricing out captive hubs like IAH and EWR, etc. Apparently, DL was matching WN pricing last year and OP got a good deal. Congrats. Now they have apparently decided it's not worth going after WN's single daily flight and have reverted to legacy hub pricing norms. Boo Hoo. Fly WN or NK if you are that price-sensitive. If DL didn't have market buying those $600 fares, they wouldn't be selling them for that much.
Old Aug 24, 17, 2:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by dmac7273 View Post
Happy you mention that - this is another reason why I think prices are higher than simple supply and demand, because no matter what day is picked, or length of trip, the minimum price is $650! Attached screenshot of a 5 week view.
I'm looking at different airlines for the months of Oct/Nov and even connecting it is very expensive for ATL-CUN. From what I am seeing, there are two options you can do to save money.

A) Book MIA/FLL-CUN nonstop and ATL-MIA/FLL as separate itineraries (possibly on separate airlines). MIA/FLL-CUN rt is in the $200 range for at least half of Oct/Nov, and ATL-MIA/FLL is no more than $150, even below $100 some days.

B) Drive somewhere and fly from there. BHM/GSP-CUN is available for $400 or less pretty much everyday (with a connection).
Old Aug 24, 17, 5:13 pm

Happy you mention that - this is another reason why I think prices are higher than simple supply and demand, because no matter what day is picked, or length of trip, the minimum price is $650! Attached screenshot of a 5 week view.
During the same time period, WN has plenty of availability for as low as RT$348. I find it ironic that you're complaining about DL's pricing on the route, given its dominate positioning at ATL... yet won't consider the competition.

FYI - that RT$348 ticket has a base fare of $130. While these prices surface from time-to-time -- generally during the shoulder season on midweek flights (though that is not always the case), if that fare were the norm, neither DL nor WN would have any interest in serving ATL/CUN.
Old Aug 24, 17, 8:50 pm

Programs: Nada!
It will be interesting to see what kind of impact the travel warning has on Cancun. That might drop demand and lower fares but it may take a little while.
Old Aug 24, 17, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
And, CHI, DFW, IAH, MCO, FLL, etc, etc. This is nothing more than the standard legacy pricing model that has been around for ages of charging a premium for the non-stop routes out of their dominant hubs. Checking out DTW-CUN, everything is $700+ on the non-stop's. Exact same situation. And, depending on the route, you will see UA doing the similar pricing out captive hubs like IAH and EWR, etc. Apparently, DL was matching WN pricing last year and OP got a good deal. Congrats. Now they have apparently decided it's not worth going after WN's single daily flight and have reverted to legacy hub pricing norms. Boo Hoo. Fly WN or NK if you are that price-sensitive. If DL didn't have market buying those $600 fares, they wouldn't be selling them for that much.
Well, the OP ACTUALLY said: "In years past, we've always flown Delta for $250-$350 round trip"

So, maybe op is exaggerating and the FAM Jam that they do to CUN every year was only last year and it was the only time ever that (s)he was able to secure that price. And, then again, maybe not.

And, why the snark? Seriously?!?
Old Aug 24, 17, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
when are you trying to book for? I was watching fares MSP-CUN (many via ATL) for August-October (keep an eye on it for months) and it was consistently $500-600. There was a flash sale that I caught and got 2 tickets under $300. It was back up to over 500 a short time later....so watch and I see? You may have a good alert system in place already, but I really like Thrifty Traveler Premium.
Old Aug 25, 17, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CalVol View Post
Well, the OP ACTUALLY said: "In years past, we've always flown Delta for $250-$350 round trip"

So, maybe op is exaggerating and the FAM Jam that they do to CUN every year was only last year and it was the only time ever that (s)he was able to secure that price. And, then again, maybe not.

And, why the snark? Seriously?!?
No exaggeration, this was for the last 3 years we've gotten this price with no effort. This was normal. Definitely noticed that snark and decided to not respond.

@curl - we've just been using Google Flights to monitor, which is ok but sometimes alerts are delayed but a lot. i'll check out what you suggested. Thank you!
Old Aug 25, 17, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What's driving DL's prices? Demand.

DL believes that someone will pay $650 for the seat OP won't. Maybe it's wrong and DL will open up cheaper fare buckets or the seat will go out empty.

But, my money is on DL's RM/IM having a good line on the fare being a likely sale.

None of that reasoning matters to OP. It's just a question of considering every option, including WN (but, remember that if WN cancels, you are stuck @ CUN until WN can get you out rather than being rebooked on other carriers to get yourself home).
CalVol likes this.
Old Aug 25, 17, 11:18 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

DL believes that someone will pay $650 for the seat OP won't. Maybe it's wrong and DL will open up cheaper fare buckets or the seat will go out empty.

But, my money is on DL's RM/IM having a good line on the fare being a likely sale.

None of that reasoning matters to OP. It's just a question of considering every option, including WN (but, remember that if WN cancels, you are stuck @ CUN until WN can get you out rather than being rebooked on other carriers to get yourself home).
And, that's good for DL if they can get it. My most recent experience on crazy pricing was that DL was wanting ~$3k for LAX-PTY in biz. I waited a while because that was, based on flying that route every year, CRAZY high. After a couple weeks of watching and it still hadn't come down, I purchased on AA for ~$900. Eventually, DL did come back down to their historical averages of ~$1100. Obviously, that was more than I paid on AA. But, I was willing to pay a couple hundred more for the flight to stick with DL. A couple thousand? Not a chance.

Maybe they found a sucker and sold a seat or two at that inflated price. But, and I know this isn't a really accurate measurement, I came back to check a few times leading up to my flight to see what the pricing looked like and to check the seat map. DL wasn't getting many/any takers as far as I could tell. The front cabins were wide open.

I don't think Delta is wiping any tears off their ham sandwich because I chose to forgo the pleasures of their metal tubes on that trip. I had a very pleasant AA experience.
Old Aug 25, 17, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

If the OP is unwilling to consider WN, which is charging half of DL's rate on many days, then what incentive does DL have to lower its pricing?

Classic FlyerTalk post: 'I want WN pricing, but I won't fly them.' Maybe the market's willing to fork out a premium for advanced seat assignments, better in-flight experience & the luxury of multiple frequencies, should something happen to their scheduled flight.

Originally Posted by sr_tipitinas View Post
It will be interesting to see what kind of impact the travel warning has on Cancun. That might drop demand and lower fares but it may take a little while.
At best, an immeasurable amount of traffic will take it seriously. CUN's been in the news for the past several months, with warnings for possibly tainted alcohol at its resorts but that hasn't seem to have any impact.

Last edited by Bagels; Aug 25, 17 at 11:46 am
Old Aug 25, 17, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
No exaggeration, this was for the last 3 years we've gotten this price with no effort. This was normal. Definitely noticed that snark and decided to not respond.

@curl - we've just been using Google Flights to monitor, which is ok but sometimes alerts are delayed but a lot. i'll check out what you suggested. Thank you!
Try Thrifty Traveler or Thrifty Traveler Premium ($20/year, possible this was a promo rate). It is an MSP-based blogger - instant email alerts on HOT deals. I've found it to be the best real-time alert services but you will have to weed through things that aren't relevant. But emails are only on HOT stuff. Also, you can follow TT (for free) on Facebook.

Isn't finding the deal part of what FlyerTalk is about? I've been around here for 14 years and have used it to better understand loyalty programs (air + hotel) and find ways to maximize my travel spend (including FC and luxury properties). I am still learning things here, from all the seasoned (and much more frequent) travelers!

p.s. we went to CUN in March for $300 and are going again shortly for $300. the deals are out there - and NO, I don't even consider other airlines, I just hate not getting the best deal. I hope you can find the deal you are looking for.