Wiki Posts
Search

DTW - KEF....wishful thinking?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
DTW - KEF....wishful thinking?!

With WOW announcing new service out of Detroit starting next spring, I am reminded of how NW used to react to those things. No doubt there are some other old time NW elites that remember how the airline would double or triple service, slash prices, and pretty much put their competitor out of business on the route using their strongarm hub protection methods.

The title is a misnomer, as I would never even expect DL to do the same.

ETA: It was a great way to get flights and miles cheap though!!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Bastian is PMDL so I doubt there will be much of a reaction. Delta has always been used to competition. They had to split hubs with AA at DFW and FL at ATL. NWA never had to share a hub and as a result they lost their mind at the slightest hint of competition. For he sake of airfares at DTE I would think everyone would want WOW and any other new service to stick around.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Bastian is PMDL so I doubt there will be much of a reaction. Delta has always been used to competition. They had to split hubs with AA at DFW and FL at ATL. NWA never had to share a hub and as a result they lost their mind at the slightest hint of competition. For he sake of airfares at DTE I would think everyone would want WOW and any other new service to stick around.
Not true. DL used to go all out to defend CVG, especially in the 90s.

In this case, I don't expect a response. WOW isn't taking any customers that matter to DL.
AceReport likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:32 pm

Maybe not this time, but as similar airlines come into the TATL market, I would expect DL to start offering Basic Economy on TATL flights.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by quasihumanist
Maybe not this time, but as similar airlines come into the TATL market, I would expect DL to start offering Basic Economy on TATL flights.
Basic Economy would need to have super aggressive pricing, DL is getting $1,200 for DTW-JFK-KEF in Main Cabin, Wow is nearly a quarter of that for their DTW-KEF flight pricing at $550/RT in their Economy "Plus" Product that includes all the amenities DL offers.

I really think DL is not concerned about these ULCCs, but they need to be prepared for the sleeping giant in the TATL corner - B6.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hi55us

I really think DL is not concerned about these ULCCs, but they need to be prepared for the sleeping giant in the TATL corner - B6.
Sleeping giant? DL is the largest TATL U.S. carrier and B6 has zero TATL routes.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Sleeping giant? DL is the largest TATL U.S. carrier and B6 has zero TATL routes.
But they're disrupted the LAX/SFO-JFK Premium markets and could do the same thing with TATL routes that are similar in length. I would absolutely fly B6 JFK/BOS-LHR in Mint for $1,200/RT.

Delta is currently getting $3,000/RT for an inferior 767 product JFK-LHR 3 months out.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
An order for the A321LR would be all JetBlue needs to reach most EU markets from JFK and BOS. Norwegian will be coming to pick off the legacy hubs when they have no more brand new markets left.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
What does PMDL mean in this context?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yohanson
What does PMDL mean in this context?
Pre-merger Delta
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Pre-merger Delta
Ok, but Pre-merger Delta, he was also President and CEO at NWA. Don't you find that confusing?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yohanson
Ok, but Pre-merger Delta, he was also President and CEO at NWA. Don't you find that confusing?
He became CEO of NWA after the merger announcement and Doug Steenland left. Basically a CEO in name only. NWA had to have a CEO until the merger was complete. Before the merger announcement Bastian was Delta's CFO. He worked with Gerald Grinstein and Jim Whitehurst to save Delta during Ch 11.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
An order for the A321LR would be all JetBlue needs to reach most EU markets from JFK and BOS. Norwegian will be coming to pick off the legacy hubs when they have no more brand new markets left.
B6's biggest obstacle is a lack of LHR slots. Nothing wrong with LGW, but they'd be at a significant competitive disadvantage. Even worse if they use LTN or STN.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:23 pm

Uh, what? DL would react and has been reacting under Bastian plenty.
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
With WOW announcing new service out of Detroit starting next spring, I am reminded of how NW used to react to those things. No doubt there are some other old time NW elites that remember how the airline would double or triple service, slash prices, and pretty much put their competitor out of business on the route using their strongarm hub protection methods.

The title is a misnomer, as I would never even expect DL to do the same.

ETA: It was a great way to get flights and miles cheap though!!
Having said what I said above, I don't see DTW-KEF in the cards. I would expect more expansion into auto market hubs (maybe try DUS in Air Berlin is a sh*t show now?) and DL/AF/KL/AZ/VS strong market, i.e. MAN.

But overall DL has noted the Trans-atlantic is a place that has too much capacity. IMO if DTW gets a new route in the future it will HKG coming back.
Basic Economy would need to have super aggressive pricing, DL is getting $1,200 for DTW-JFK-KEF in Main Cabin, Wow is nearly a quarter of that for their DTW-KEF flight pricing at $550/RT in their Economy "Plus" Product that includes all the amenities DL offers.

An airline that has literally no market presence in Europe that might start TATL service...... is a sleeping giant?
But they're disrupted the LAX/SFO-JFK Premium markets and could do the same thing with TATL routes that are similar in length. I would absolutely fly B6 JFK/BOS-LHR in Mint for $1,200/RT.

Delta is currently getting $3,000/RT for an inferior 767 product JFK-LHR 3 months out.
First DL has a product issue but a 321 without isle-access and basically the same type seat is some how "better"?

Second I'm sure people would love to take a 2 grand less flight in C. Of course these aren't the people DL/AA/BA/VS/UA etc. care about, especially in a market as premium and corporate heavy as JFK-LHR......

And of course this is all assuming B6 can magically find the LHR and JFK slots to offer frequency that is comparable to AA/BA, DL/VS and US much less pay for those slots. My money on any BOS/JFK-LON flying from B6 will be the same all LCCs have been doing, heading to the cheaper LGW.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Uh, what? DL would react and has been reacting under Bastian plenty.
The only example I can think of is when JetBlue first entered ATL and flew to the LA area. Delta offered a ton of frequent flyer miles to keep people off of B6. Nothing like NWA did. NWA got so mad at AA for starting LGA-MSP that they announced they were starting LGA-DFW. Of course the advance bookings were beyond awful and NWA canceled it before it even started. What retaliation has Delta done since Bastian took over?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.