Please help me choose: ATL-XXX-ZRH

Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Red face Please help me choose: ATL-XXX-ZRH

1. ATL - JFK (2hr 24min) - ZRH

2. ATL - CDG (1hr 35min) - ZRH

3. ATL - AMS (1hr 15min) - ZRH

4. ATL - JFK (45 min ) - ZRH

(Have to arrive ZRH before 9:00a.m. the next day to meet up with group.)

Which would you choose?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
AMS is the easiest transit IMO

JFK and CDG are about the same, but JFK is more delay prone, you will certainly want to go with option 1 if you choose to connect in JFK

CDG arriving immigration can be bad depending on the time of day, so ideally 2 hours would be better there, 1:35 is doable but may be uncomfortable if the immigration lines are their normal disaster (I am assuming you don't have an EU passport, if you do, then CDG is not as bad).
ConciergeBrandon likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I agree AMS is the best, but for anything international I really hesitate with a <2 hr connection. I'd probably go with option 1. At the least, you can hang out in the nice sky club at JFK and sit on the deck/plane spot (or go to Shake Shack). At the worst there's a time buffer.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
AMS would be okay, but that connection time looks a little tight... However, both European connection options avoid domestic US delays, and there are pretty frequent flights from AMS/CDG to ZRH.

Option 1 includes a good buffer time that you could kill if you wanted to, and you arrive straight into ZRH, which I'd consider a plus. (I'd choose this one)

I would never attempt a 45 min connection in JFK.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Y or J? Mix of planes here so depending on COS that could be a factor
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Honestly, I don't like any of them.

JFK 2:24 is the best for the connection

In general I would always favor the direct flight from the US rather than connecting in Europe. The problem is that in this case it is JFK

JFK could be fine one day and a nightmare the next

Faced with 4 bad choices, I would choose the first one

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Aug 22, 2017 at 1:59 pm
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks, PV_Premier, dmarge18, FlyerWx, Duke787, dilbertdaddy for the prompt and helpful responses.

Looks like ATL-JFK-ZRH wins ^

Is 2 hr 24 min layover safe? There is 4 hr available. Should I?

(Duke787 it is Y but I plan to use a GUC.)
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

dilbertsdaddy I prefer non-stop ATL-ZRH too. However, DeltaOne is full on my date of travel, hence chance of using GUC for upgrade is most likely zero.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
2:24 should be plenty. Obviously there's no such thing as a 100% safe connection, so I guess it depends on how crucial it is for you to make this flight and what else you might do with two extra hours before your flight.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pvn
2:24 should be plenty. Obviously there's no such thing as a 100% safe connection, so I guess it depends on how crucial it is for you to make this flight and what else you might do with two extra hours before your flight.
Agree, it should be enough. There are always very unforeseen circumstances, but over 2 I'd be comfortable. Always just depends on your comfort/risk level.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Option 1 it is!

Thank you all for helping ^
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:07 pm

Looking at departure times, I would take the 45 minute connection. If your outbound is delayed and it's getting tight, ask them to put you on the non-stop.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Coach or D1? Passport? What are the aircraft types for the first three itineraries?

I agree with others that number four must be eliminated from consideration as it violates minimum sensible connecting time by a lot.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
Looking at departure times, I would take the 45 minute connection. If your outbound is delayed and it's getting tight, ask them to put you on the non-stop.
As have been stated before, the D1 on the non-stop ATL-ZRH is full, hence using GUC for upgrade is slim to none. So non-stop is not an option.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:38 am

I always pick AMS. Easy airport to navigate, people speak English. Plus, if you are stuck, no better place than Amsterdam.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.