Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Newbie

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Delta Newbie

Hi. I recently switched over from AA and I have a few questions. I couldn't find a newbie lounge thread like we have stickied on the AA forum - is there one?

On AA I've always received complimentary snacks from the items for sale in the main cabin when flying in first. On a DL flight today the FA told me he'd have to charge me. Is that correct?

Does delta allow linking reservations for baggage allowance purposes? What if I'm in a separate cabin because of an upgrade? (either C+ or F)
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
Hi. I recently switched over from AA and I have a few questions. I couldn't find a newbie lounge thread like we have stickied on the AA forum - is there one?

On AA I've always received complimentary snacks from the items for sale in the main cabin when flying in first. On a DL flight today the FA told me he'd have to charge me. Is that correct?

Does delta allow linking reservations for baggage allowance purposes? What if I'm in a separate cabin because of an upgrade? (either C+ or F)
That is correct in regards to the snack boxes.

If you are on the same PNR, and you get upgraded, it would not change your companion's baggage allowance. (assuming this is based on medallion status or DL Credit Card).
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, if you're on the same PNR as a traveling companion, I don't think that you only can be upgraded without splitting the PNR.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, if you're on the same PNR as a traveling companion, I don't think that you only can be upgraded without splitting the PNR.
That probably depends on the GA. Last week in MCO I was number 3 on the list, and noticed two people of the same last name in front of me for 1 seat. Checked with the GA, and she was calling the couple up to see what they wanted to do. Husband took the upgrade and sent wife to Y.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
That probably depends on the GA. Last week in MCO I was number 3 on the list, and noticed two people of the same last name in front of me for 1 seat. Checked with the GA, and she was calling the couple up to see what they wanted to do. Husband took the upgrade and sent wife to Y.
My guess is that the GA split the PNR when she processed the upgrade.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My guess is that the GA split the PNR when she processed the upgrade.
Right--I guess my point is it is not something the OP would necessarily have to do ahead of time to get an upgrade processed.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
As others said, if your companion is in coach they will get coach baggage allowance. However, your companion on your same reservation or that checks in and drops off baggage with you both together in person IS entitled to your medallion baggage allowance, regardless of their cabin.

In terms of snacks: as others have said, the buy on board is $ for everyone, however, DL does have a very nice selection of complimentary on board snacks, and even more so when you are seated in C+.

FYI, Delta did used to give coupons for free snacks to medallions called Have One On Us (you'll see that called HOOU on FT), that would usually populate when you printed a boarding pass, but this program ended a few years ago. You should, however, still have free drink coupons in your Fly Delta app wallet if you are a medallion.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
LOL. That happened to me back in July. We were #3 ,4 on the upgrade with 3 seats left. GA called us up and asked what we wanted to do. I told my wife she could take it and I would go to C+. She said no you take it, I have plenty of room in C+ and you need more room. So I took it . flight was from SFO-ATL.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Eddie98
We were #3 ,4 on the upgrade with 3 seats left. GA called us up and asked what we wanted to do. I told my wife she could take it and I would go to C+. She said no you take it, I have plenty of room in C+ and you need more room. So I took it . flight was from SFO-ATL.
My then girlfriend did the same thing when I got a TATL op-up at the gate from Y (exit row) to J on CDG-DTW. "You earned the miles, you should enjoy it." I decided I needed to marry her.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies and info. Seems like a pretty petty policy to not comp the snack boxes.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:32 pm

Thanks for all the replies and info. Seems like a pretty petty policy to not comp the snack boxes.
Each airline spends loyalty/retention dollars in the way they see fit. AND, the stronger the product, the less bones they need to throw customers. DL is not having trouble keeping their customers right now, so why should they give certain coach pax free meals?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:33 pm

Each airline spends loyalty/retention dollars in the way they see fit. AND, the stronger the product, the less bones they need to throw customers. DL is not having trouble keeping their customers right now, so why should they give certain coach pax free meals? Personally I'd rather the money go into maintaining the best customer service.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Each airline spends loyalty/retention dollars in the way they see fit. AND, the stronger the product, the less bones they need to throw customers. DL is not having trouble keeping their customers right now, so why should they give certain coach pax free meals? Personally I'd rather the money go into maintaining the best customer service.
I was referring to comping the snack boxes for pax in First, not coach pax with status.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:38 pm

I was referring to comping the snack boxes for pax in First, not coach pax with status.
The same point applies. Also, since they load a limited amount of snack boxes, and F pax get free items, pax in Y get priority for the snack boxes, which is a good thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.