Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No complimentary upgrade if ticket is not on DL stock?

Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*

Perhaps this thread may be more appropriate in the Korean Skypass forum. If so, please feel free to move.

I purchased 3 award tickets on the same reservation using Korean Air Skypass miles from MSP-KOA (via LAX) earlier in the year for the wife (who is DM), daughter and myself. I pulled up the reservation on DL.com and replaced the KE Skypass numbers with our DL Skymiles numbers in order to get seat assignments and checked bag benefits. Since there are 3 passengers on the reservation, complimentary upgrades are not available. I called the DM line asking them to split the reservation. After some amount of time and after multiple HUCA episodes with various DM agents, I am ready to give up. My outbound flight to KOA is tomorrow.

Some of the excuses are:
1. Reservation cannot be split because its not on DL stock (A 006 ticket number is needed, mine's on KE)
2. Upgrades are not allowed for mileage tickets. I corrected that by pointing them to delta.com
3. Upgrades are not given to companions on mileage tickets. I corrected that too.
4. Upgrades are not allowed if you buy a ticket from another airline. Umm.. really? We now make up excuses as we go along?
5. A number of other variations of the above.

Has anyone experienced this? What are the real rules? One of the agents suggested that I get my tickets re-issued by KE into 2 reservations and then see what the reservation system does. She still seemed to believe that even if I did that, the upgrade wouldn't go through since it was not a DL issued ticket.

What are my options at this point? Talk to the gate agent and hope s/he is having a good day?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
I had an issue with a Delta flight on KL ticket stock, where the domestic segment would not waitlist me for an F upgrade. However, this was a revenue ticket, not an award ticket.
After a few minutes, the kind representative was able to reticket to DL ticket stock, and I was then able to get C+ seats and get waitlisted for an upgrade in F on the domestic segment.

Could you possibly give them a call back to get the ticket reticketed to DL ticket stock? IDK whether this would be possible, since you used KE miles to book the itinerary.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Yes. If ticket is on another airline stock, you are not eligible for medallion upgrades (nor any other, such as mileage upgrades, etc.) until the day of departure, when control goes over to DL.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:05 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thesaints
Yes. If ticket is on another airline stock, you are not eligible for medallion upgrades (nor any other, such as mileage upgrades, etc.) until the day of departure, when control goes over to DL.
IIRC, I had a Delta segment on UA stock and was upgraded in advance. It was DL coded, DL operated.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
You are right. I confused ticket stock with flight coding.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
This is likely because OP booked SkyPass Award Tickets.

Only SkyMiles Award tickets are eligible for comp upgrades, and even then, in limited circumstances.

Delta also cannot split a Korean reservation. AF and KL examples are different because of the already codified JV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.