Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LGA Flight Cancelled due to "Ground Delay"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K

Thankfully I was able to switch to a flight out of JFK, despite the extra cab fare that I'm not happy about but have to be home by a certain time.

Has anyone experienced this? It's raining in NYC but doesn't look like any of the other NYC -> PIT flights were affected.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: DL DM
There is a weather waiver for the NYC area airports. Delays and cancellations are to be expected in the area all day.

Delta Travel Exception Policy
New York City Area Weather - Bulletin 1
(August 17, 2017) - Delta Air Lines is offering a waiver to assist customers who may be impacted by forecasted weather in the New York City area.

Exception Policy Overview
To view complete policy details, please visit the Delta Professional website.

Applies to Tickets Issued On or Before:
August 17, 2017

Affected Area:
• Newburgh, NY (SWF)
• New York, NY-Kennedy (JFK)
• New York, NY-LaGuardia (LGA)
• Newark, NJ (EWR)
• White Plains, NY (HPN)

Date of Impacted Travel:
August 18, 2017

Tickets Must Be Reissued On or Before:
August 21, 2017

New Travel Must Originate On or Before:
August 21, 2017

Rebooking Type:
Cabin to Cabin

Documentation Details

Waiver Codes

Cabin to Cabin:
C6R8T

Waive Change Fee:
G3K7E

OSI:
CHANGES PER NYC AREA WEATHER 17AUG17
REFUNDED PER NYC AREA WEATHER 17AUG17

ALL EXCEPTION POLICIES

Delta Air Lines Sales | 1030 Delta Boulevard | Atlanta, Georgia 30354, US
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Originally Posted by cmatthews11
Thankfully I was able to switch to a flight out of JFK, despite the extra cab fare that I'm not happy about but have to be home by a certain time.

Has anyone experienced this? It's raining in NYC but doesn't look like any of the other NYC -> PIT flights were affected.

Had the same thing 2 weeks ago on a friday. Any form of rain just throws everything into a tizzy.

Ended up on a flight 6 hours delayed, back to gate for a refuel and a go-around in PIT so all in all ...FUN!

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Aug 18, 2017 at 4:47 pm Reason: Removed attempt to bypass FT's profanity filter
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I did the opposite, but just as frustrating. I figured I'd gamble with the weather waiver, I couldn't leave any earlier and I didn't really want to delay my trip into BNA. Wrong choice!

Flying JFK-BNA today (6p departure), woke up at 8am to a notification that it had been cancelled. Rebooking tool was showing me some fantastic options, 3 flights starting at 10am that would take me to a 5 hour layover in GRR before landing me at BNA.

Called into the Plat line and got rebooked on LGA-DTW-BNA arriving just a couple hours later than originally planned, but who knows if that'll happen given the weather situation right now.

This has been all too common here in the NYC area (and the larger NE) this year. A bit of bad weather throws everything into disarray, and it can take a looong time for ops to get back to normal after something like this happens
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by manacit
I did the opposite, but just as frustrating. I figured I'd gamble with the weather waiver, I couldn't leave any earlier and I didn't really want to delay my trip into BNA. Wrong choice!

Flying JFK-BNA today (6p departure), woke up at 8am to a notification that it had been cancelled. Rebooking tool was showing me some fantastic options, 3 flights starting at 10am that would take me to a 5 hour layover in GRR before landing me at BNA.
What routing was offered with a 5 hour sit in GRR? LGA-GRR-XXX-BNA?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
What routing was offered with a 5 hour sit in GRR? LGA-GRR-XXX-BNA?

Indeed, I believe it was LGA-GRR-DTW-BNA.

I'm also seeing LGA-DCA-CVG-BNA, LGA-MSN-DTW-BNA and a few other combos with ORD, CMH, SDF and ROC.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: Last on board, if I'm lucky
Looks like some fairly strong showers just crossed LGA eastbound in the last hour. The specific LGA Groundstop has been lifted, they are now in their normal flow program - chances are they will be playing catch-up for the rest of the day.

However - there is a WashCenter groundstop, a little unusual. Scope: "TRAFFIC ARRIVING OR CROSSING ZBW AIRSPACE ROUTED THROUGH ZDC" / Reason: "NO ROUTES".

There are only 3 ways into LGA: From the south (over the Chesapeake), from the west (Central PA), or the north (down the Hudson Valley) and the north arrival doesnt see nearly as much traffic as the other 2. So, the majority of traffic comes over the other 2 arrivals; and for the near future, one of them is shut down for reasons completely unrelated to LGA or NY Tracon. Weather doesnt look to promising for the west arrival either.

Anyone departing NYC - the departure fixes that ATC uses to get you out of the area are also going to be causing problems for the foreseeable future.

Good luck to all!
bennos likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I got the notice of the weather waiver yesterday and change my late afternoon today DCA-JFK-LHR to DCA-ATL-LHR.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

I was nervous at first as my flight was 3:30-515PM out of LGA, and there were a bunch of other afternoon flights still available and it wasn't letting me change. Found the 3:15 out of JFK.

I just found it odd that it was only this specific LGA->PIT route that was cancelled, but I won't pretend that I know the reason, just didn't understand fully what "Ground Delay" meant other than maybe the plane was backed up on one of it's earlier routes.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was nervous at first as my flight was 3:30-515PM out of LGA, and there were a bunch of other afternoon flights still available and it wasn't letting me change. Found the 3:15 out of JFK.

I just found it odd that it was only this specific LGA->PIT route that was cancelled, but I won't pretend that I know the reason, just didn't understand fully what "Ground Delay" meant other than maybe the plane was backed up on one of it's earlier routes.
Flightaware is showing numerous other DL Connection carrier (ExpressJet, Endeavor, etc) flights cancelled out of LGA today. It is definitely more than this route that is being affected. As usual, the Connection carriers flights tend to be more impacted than mainline as those flights are the first to be cancelled when there are ATC issues limiting operations.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by LBJ
Flightaware is showing numerous other DL Connection carrier (ExpressJet, Endeavor, etc) flights cancelled out of LGA today. It is definitely more than this route that is being affected. As usual, the Connection carriers flights tend to be more impacted than mainline as those flights are the first to be cancelled when there are ATC issues limiting operations.
Yep. Connection carrier flights are the sacrificial lambs in weather impacted situations.
tonypct likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Yep. Connection carrier flights are the sacrificial lambs in weather impacted situations.
Ok this is a great point that I would like some more guidance on since I have no clue: I am a pretty seasoned and savy delta travelor and am in and out of LGA several times a month. I live in Dayton OH and usually take the daily direct to lga in the am and then return on the direct in the evening. It's always on a dreadful CRJ 200.
Am I better off purposely connecting to lga via ATL? I have been delayed and cancelled more than I would like on the Dayton flights. I've even tried the CVG directs and have been burned in and out of lga.
Is Atlanta less likely to be impacted? At least I could get out of lga.
Thoughts?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Good to know, thank you! Tried asking the gate agent for more info, which he scoffed and wouldn't give a response.

So now of course, my flight is delayed, and have changed gates twice. Love flying in and out of NY every week! /s
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Ok this is a great point that I would like some more guidance on since I have no clue: I am a pretty seasoned and savy delta travelor and am in and out of LGA several times a month. I live in Dayton OH and usually take the daily direct to lga in the am and then return on the direct in the evening. It's always on a dreadful CRJ 200.
Am I better off purposely connecting to lga via ATL? I have been delayed and cancelled more than I would like on the Dayton flights. I've even tried the CVG directs and have been burned in and out of lga.
Is Atlanta less likely to be impacted? At least I could get out of lga.
Thoughts?
The issue is NYC area so I don't think your chances of getting out of LGA changes even if you fly via ATL. It would make sense for XXX-LGA-YYY to XXX-ATL-YYY and avoid NYC.

Ground Delay is when a flight holds at the origin, knowing about weather issues along the route or at destination, until the weather clears up.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I'd be a little frustrated by this. I'm at my home on the UES today, about 20 min from LGA, and while it certainly doesn't qualify as a beautiful day, it really hasn't been that bad. Rained pretty hard around 7 or 8AM-ish, otherwise just sort of gloomy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.