Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RUC Expiration

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
RUC Expiration

I used to be under the impression that I could apply a RUC prior to the expiration date, and so long as it cleared prior to then (and the ticket re-issued) there would be no problem.

I've even heard (probably here) that the RUC would stay waitlisted on that flight until it cleared (or the flight left), but if there were any changes after expiration it would just disappear.

Just now, I was told that I can't apply a RUC to a flight that takes place after its expiration date. The website supports that interpretation, even to the extent of saying that if there's any travel past the expiration date, it won't apply (e.g. a connection to a next-calendar-day flight on the last day of validity).

Do others remember this the same way I do? When did it change?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Did you HUCB?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
That is definitely the current rules I think it has been that way ever since GUCs and RUCs have existed but not with their predecessor instuments.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
One round of Agent Roulette was all it took.

(Though the reservation is now showing 2 copies of the flight, but with seats assigned in J in one. I guess it still has to be re-issued; I'll take care of that later.)
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding is that the current rules (since a year or two ago) say that you must fly before the expiration date (versus have the ticket reissued before the expiration date), but I think it's very much a case of YMMV with agents being able to still follow the old rules.

What may be more difficult to work around is the case I experienced where the ticket was reissued very quickly after an upgrade cleared and I had difficulty then extending the GUC to a domestic connecting flight.

If the OP is in this case, it might be best to let sleeping dogs lie and not necessarily try to maximize the value of the RUC/GUC at the risk of losing it all.

I'd also suggest that the OP minimize contact with DL agents who might look carefully at the PNR/ticket just in case someone would spot the expired RUC. In particular, don't try to SDC what you have, don't phone to whine about seat assignments, etc.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
These things are useless.

I have 4 GUC and have not been able to use any on international this year: the only trip I was going to be "allowed" to use one on was KLM and guess what - the coach fare I needed to use one was MORE than discounted J.

So I just started trying to burn them on domestic trips.

Guess what? Not available on ANY domestic trip I have for the rest of the year.

The only one I really care about is a MSP-ATL flight on a Saturday morning which has zero seats sold in FC.

We can waitlist you! Well that would be fine except no one knows how to do it properly.

I sure would love to have these things voided and get my choice bennie back.

I am not scrambling at the last minute, I still have until January. But most all of my travel is booked. Don't you think at least ONE trip would be available using a GUC for a domestic flight?

Rant over
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

I have 4 GUC and have not been able to use any on international this year: the only trip I was going to be "allowed" to use one on was KLM and guess what - the coach fare I needed to use one was MORE than discounted J.

So I just started trying to burn them on domestic trips.

Guess what? Not available on ANY domestic trip I have for the rest of the year.

The only one I really care about is a MSP-ATL flight on a Saturday morning which has zero seats sold in FC.

We can waitlist you! Well that would be fine except no one knows how to do it properly.

I am not scrambling at the last minute, I still have until January. But most all of my travel is booked. Don't you think at least ONE trip would be available using a GUC for a domestic flight?

Rant over
Solid rant.
Better off being a non rev for J on DL?
I kid. Sort of.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
My understanding is that you are supposed to fly before the expiration - however, if you get it applied and it clears and reissues prior to expiration, it will work.

You just need to find a sympathetic agent, or one who is not paying attention and doesn't check the dates.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

I agree. I'm throwing 10 of 12 RUCs into the garbage in January. (I did manage to get 2 to clear, but it took a lot of effort.)

I think a great enhancement would be that if you don't clear any of your upgrade certificates, you can exchange them for the mileage choice equivalent. (ie: 4 PM RUCs = 20k, 4 DM GUCs = 25k.) This could even be implemented automatically on expiration. Sort of a token "we're sorry it didn't work out".

Originally Posted by matthew64832
My understanding is that you are supposed to fly before the expiration - however, if you get it applied and it clears and reissues prior to expiration, it will work.

You just need to find a sympathetic agent, or one who is not paying attention and doesn't check the dates.
I had one agent check put me on hold to check the rules, and she said that as long as they clear before expiration you can use them. So it may be that internal policy is more lenient, sort of like how in IROPs officially you might lose your upgrade, but probably you won't.

That said, she didn't get them reissued (even though I asked) and I had trouble at check-in...
Old May 17, 2019, 9:11 am

Sorry to dig up an old thread but 2 of my RUC expires in a week. Can I apply them to a 2 months later flight (I see the upgrade space open) and they should be OK if already applied correct? Thanks!
Old May 17, 2019, 9:46 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
No luck for me last time I tried to do this. They insisted the flight must commence before the RUC expiration. This is the main reason why I take the voucher or miles now.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Sorry to dig up an old thread but 2 of my RUC expires in a week. Can I apply them to a 2 months later flight (I see the upgrade space open) and they should be OK if already applied correct? Thanks!
You can do this, but if they don't clear and re-ticket before expiration they'll evaporate. If you can find flights with confirmable space today, grab it and ask the agent to manually re-issue.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
You can do this, but if they don't clear and re-ticket before expiration they'll evaporate. If you can find flights with confirmable space today, grab it and ask the agent to manually re-issue.
Its funny how I need to call delta to check if there is upgrade space open!
Old May 17, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Quick question, can RUC and GUC be traded on the coupon connection or is that a no no? Not familiar if they can be assigned out.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
If losing Platinum status, falling to Gold, can RUCs/GUCs which expire AFTER losing Platinum status, still be used if it is in the name/FF# of the person who's fallen to Gold?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.