What keeps you on Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Lack of sense
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
A nice club at MCO and having the only civilized hub left in the world. Most of the airports I frequent only have a Sky Club where AA and UA offer nothing.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
They haven't done me wrong too many times (the meltdowns of September '16 and April '17 are the only memorable times so far, but the other airlines have had their share of those as well).

The above fosters inertia, which in term fosters comfort: I've learned how to deal with red coats and the PM line to work things out when I need to change an itinerary for whatever reason.

The folks at the RDU SC (my home base) are terrific to work with.

Outside of the two big events I listed above, IRROPs handling has been great. One example: I had RDU-BOS-LHR booked once, it was at the beginning of my "career" with Delta and was barely a GM. The RDU-BOS was on a CRJ, and as we taxied out for takeoff a big storm rolled in. We took off late, and landed at BOS just as my BOS-LHR flight was pushing back. By the time I got to a red coat, I had already been rebooked on an AA flight that was to leave a couple of hours later. I was also given some food vouchers. It worked out fine in the end.

Fares can be hit or miss. For example RDU-HKG tends to favor AA, but if I keep looking and sign up for fare alerts, I can usually come within $100 or so. I fly that route once or twice a year. Another route I fly a few times a year is RDU-SFO/SJC, with careful planning I can find pretty good fares there, within a few dollars of AA (I've Plat status there via status match perk through my employer).

I get C+ for free as a PM, the snacks are better there compared to AA.

My upgrade to F luck has been more or less decent, even after FCM changes.

I don't see a reason to switch. I flew 8-10 segments on AA in the last 12 months, and didn't have any issues, but no hope of upgrades either. Their "better" seats (I think they call them MCE?) were ok, but I don't remember them having power available (USB or 110V outlets).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Virtually guaranteed wi-fi.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
As an NYC flyer, JFK and LAX are easier for me to get to via public transit than EWR which rules out UA. DL terminals at LGA are not in the nightmare that is LGA Central Terminal which is an advantage over AA. UA and AA are 10-across in 777 Y whereas DL doesn't have plans to do that. DL has refurbished the cabins on most of their aircraft. Single-aisle UA Airbi are rough, most of DL's A320-series has been refurbed.

I wish DL wasn't split across T2 and T4 at JFK. Here's to hoping they put together a mega-terminal like B6 or AA at JFK.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
A nice club at MCO and having the only civilized hub left in the world...
Which hub are you referring to? I would say DTW, MSP and ATL are great, in that order.

I agree with a lot of the comments above. I started with NorthWest in 2006 and got "merged" into Delta. I LOVE what Delta did with NW's Airbus 319s and 320s. They seem like new planes.

Delta seems to - for the most part - lead the U.S. carriers with investments and improvements. They started with ops and adding wifi. Now that AA and UA are catching up there, they are adding power plugs and IFE and FASTER wifi.

Delta is also partnering to improve the hubs at LGA, LAX and SEA. It will be exciting to see these get modernized.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
As a West Coast based DM, not doing too badly on upgrades. Also getting good value for my GUCs. Honestly, if it weren't for this board, I wouldn't know how dissatisfied I should be 😉😄
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by blitzcon
Which hub are you referring to? I would say DTW, MSP and ATL are great, in that order.
CVG

As large as ATL is, Delta still has it at overcapacity. I shouldn't be rubbing shoulders with other passengers walking down the concourse. I'm glad they are finally getting rid of the orange exterior though. More windows might give it the illusion of being more spacious.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
They are the best airline from MKE if you want to fly internationally, which is important to me. I like the DL culture; I don't find the agents rude and if anything they are understanding and polite. I like the fact that I can fly to CDG and AMS generally by connecting through DTW and then onto other European destinations if need be by using AF or KL. I like that they serve SBUX coffee. Even domestically I find them to be competitive with other airlines.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Ah, RDU! I used to live out there; flew out many times.

My travel is 99% domestic, just to give you the lens through which I'm viewing things. I flew Continental/United for about 12 years and then couldn't take it anymore about two years after the merger. I moved to Delta in 2012/2013 and never looked back. For me:

-FA's are so much more attentive and friendly. I feel they genuinely care about my experience and property/person

-Reliability - rarely am I delayed or late and when I am (#2 on this) IRROPS has always come through for me

-Clubs have stellar service and food. Although, some need work but overall, I find this to be pretty good for domestic travel.

-Fleet. CRJ was a regular for me on United. I haven't flown on one in three years with Delta. IFE is a big plus.

-In flight snack options and the fact you get free drinks in E+ is huge. And the first class food isn't too shabby. I had a tenderloin tonight MSP>AUS that wasn't bad at all.

-Winter Ops - It seems to me (in my travels) the MSP and DTW airports are SO much better at handling winter operations than ORD and EWR. Another reason I made the switch. Even with really treacherous conditions in MSP in winter DL has pulled through with minimal impact.

I live in a non-hub (for any airline) so I can pretty much go with anyone I like. I choose DL (while getting the midwest is a PITA because of stops) because it's an overall more pleasurable traveling experience as a business traveler. I wouldd rather spend the extra hour of layover than a direct on a sardine can with no premier service. YMMV
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
As a hub customer, there really isn't a great second option. I personally much prefer taking an immediate longhaul and connecting AMS. And at least as long as DL has Y+ for free to PMs (and Y+ equipped TATL), I'll probably stay in the mqm race.

I do a little footsie with WN now and then for a few direct flights, but I just don't seem to want to bother with UA or AA, since that adds connections (though AA is expanding n.s. service a tad here, and Alaska is too - I considered AA to LGA for an upcoming trip, but paying for Y+ and a bag seems dumb, eats all the small fare difference and then some).

I status matched to UA several years ago (I was only FO so not the smartest match, but I also never imagined I'd get to PM back then). After flying a deep discount J trip on UA/LH, I let the UA status mostly linger, only 4 domestic segments and went back to DL - because 1. I didn't really find the UA experience all that great and 2. my dad died, and that had been the reason I'd been flying to IAH (and at the time UA was running E145s from here, that's a long 'regional' flight - ie: not that comfortable, no chance at F).

Longer term? We'll see. If DL swaps PE for C+ on TATL, I'll have to re-evaluate. I may drop down to the lower Amex card and just aim for FO/GM annually, and shop much more on price and be willing to connect at ORD (or even east coast) to Europe if I can get the seat/service/destinations/competitors fares I want in int'l PE (or AA's offering as it expands).

Oh, I'll add that DL catering in Y on TATL is pretty good. I can't compare since I haven't flown Y longhaul on anyone else in 20 years (only UA/LH/AA in deep discount J a couple times). But except for the pasta option, it's quite edible. Occasionally even yummy. The Black and Blue salad in Y out of AMS last May was as good and delicious (except for plastic tray presentation, it was Y after all) or better than most US domestic F meals.
My couple TATL segments in DL J have had good catering as well.

Last edited by RaflW; Aug 17, 2017 at 10:00 pm Reason: add more thoughts
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat
75% of my flights are LGA-FLL so that gives me just 3 options: Delta, JetBlue, Spirit.

Knock Spirit out of contention immediately for obvious reasons.

I used to fly B6 a lot but ultimately switched to DL because of operational performance. Most of my JetBlue flights were delayed. It's much, much better on Delta. Plus, I'm just an FO but the benefits are nice, although minor. And every once in a while I get lucky with an upgrade (never on LGA-FLL but I've seen it occasionally on some other flights).

Sure I could fly UA out of EWR or AA into MIA, both would be doable, just not ideal, and I prefer Delta over them anyway. It works for me.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
The fact that every time I walk on a Delta flight, I get a "welcome back Mr.Bingham" welcome...
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by wolf72
The fact that every time I walk on a Delta flight, I get a "welcome back Mr.Bingham" welcome...
You must be extremely important
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by wolf72
Did Maynard Finch quit AA, or was he laid off during the US/AA merger?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.