Community
Wiki Posts
Search

D1 Suites Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
If that had been the case, upper-deck D1 would have been the non-rev party bus.
Likely lol

Unless maybe they had a surge charge for 747 in general,

But I do wonder if they think the 350 can command the premium, If I'm connecting cant I just avoid DTW? Then the 350 becomes a non-rev party LOL
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Yeah, they can count me in the thanks but no thanks camp.

If DL's J fares and product already beat their competitors they could be on to something, but neither of those are the case.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You know I never noticed that about the suite... great point on the arm restriction. Looks like you'll have to be leaning away from the wall if you want to be able to move your arm or not have it wedged up against it.

The existing D1 seats, from 747/330/767 all have some armrest space before getting to the seat frame. Looks like the only D1 suites that have more arm/shoulder space are the ones with the seat closest to the window.

Last edited by rylan; Aug 15, 2017 at 8:10 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This reminds me of the SQ suites being a class above FC. Does DL think that the suites on the A350 are a class above D1? I'm almost surprised they're not using different fare codes, like DL does not for C+ and (coming soon) premium economy.

The surcharge will cause many people to pick routings that don't use the A350.

When it's a separate item on the receipt, I wonder how willing employers will be to pay the fee for business travel that allows business class.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just looked up some D1 fares, and the surcharge is built into the fare rules/basis.

For example, here is a Z basis:

MISCELLANEOUS/OTHER SURCHARGE OF USD 500.00
WILL BE ADDED TO THE APPLICABLE FARE PER
ADULT,ALLOWING CHILD/INFANT DISCOUNTS FOR
TRAVEL IN AIRBUS A359 AIRCRAFT

So it'll cost you a lot more to fly in D1 on the 350 vs a 330. Guess they want to pay off those seats quick...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Five hundred dollars to rent a low door for twelve hours? The A350 seats look closer to the 767 D1 seats than the 747/A330 or 777 ones that people here seem to prefer.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Five hundred dollars to rent a low door for twelve hours? The A350 seats look closer to the 767 D1 seats than the 747/A330 or 777 ones that people here seem to prefer.
Yes someone even said she to how narrow it is that it would be a downgrade from the 767 seat.

I don't think AA even did this for the F cabin on their new 777-300.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I don't think AA even did this for the F cabin on their new 777-300.
No, they did not. But that cabin is miserable for other reasons.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:47 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Frankly, this seems to be in line with DL's delusional thinking that their product is superior to everyone else's and that passengers are willing to pay for it. (Like all the C+ nonsense of the past year where DL really seems to believe it is a significant upgrade over regular coach.)

Is the D1 soft product better than AA? Undoubtedly yes. Is the D1 Suite hard product better than UA? Probably yes, even compared to the new Polaris seat. Non-stop vs connecting fare premiums aside, Is it worth a $1000 rt premium over AA and UA? Doubtful. (And perhaps a more important question is, is it worth a premium over Asian carriers?)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
We will see once start getting reports from the a/c, but it seems with both PE and D1 they have installed products that are not at all competitive with their peers, and seem to be counting on customers to just accept it--and even pay more for it.

This smells like United and American, not DL. They've become arrogant.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dw

Is the D1 Suite hard product better than UA? Probably yes, even compared to the new Polaris seat.
I have my doubts about this. That wall and they way the model's arm seems crammed up against it seems pretty bad. . . .
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by dw
Frankly, this seems to be in line with DL's delusional thinking that their product is superior to everyone else's and that passengers are willing to pay for it. (Like all the C+ nonsense of the past year where DL really seems to believe it is a significant upgrade over regular coach.)

Is the D1 soft product better than AA? Undoubtedly yes. Is the D1 Suite hard product better than UA? Probably yes, even compared to the new Polaris seat. Non-stop vs connecting fare premiums aside, Is it worth a $1000 rt premium over AA and UA? Doubtful. (And perhaps a more important question is, is it worth a premium over Asian carriers?)
Some Asian carriers, including KE and China Air as well as CZ and MU, are often cheaper anyway for TPAC business class.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Grouchy
I still have my both arms (and i guess most pax also have two)
I think the point is the seats offset towards the window probably don't have the same arm space issue. They don't put a door over the window right? But I agree, it appears to be very poor ergonomics for at least half the seats, and possible my (not sure how the middle seats are packaged).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
You'll enjoy a few of Lucky's comments here....and his line about fare buckets.
One of my favourites was the line below the Delta 1 fares shown.

Greedy: Delta To Add A Surcharge For Their New A350 Business Class

AUGUST 15, 2017 BY LUCKY

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ite-surcharge/
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I agree with others this seems like an arrogant move from DL. That being said I trust the market to bring these prices back down or else DL will be ceding traffic on some of these routes to competitors that have bigger J cabins they need to fill.

Remember these A350s also have fewer J seats vs. the planes that used to fly these routes so perhaps they think they can get away with sticking this surcharge in while relying primarily on those traveling on OPM to fill the cabin (who therefore could care less about the extra charge).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.