Search

JFK-Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

JFK-Seattle

Wed 10/4 - outbound: DL 2853
Tues 10/10 - return: DL 1109

I'm flying business class outbound (is this Delta One?) & coach on the return.

I am a silver medallion currently.

What should I know? I've never been in a lie flat seat.

Buddies are sitting in 3A & 3B and I am in 3C.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
website currently shows 2853 as a 16J 757 with lie-flats; however it will be standard domestic F service
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
website currently shows 2853 as a 16J 757 with lie-flats; however it will be standard domestic F service
How does that differ from Delta One?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by bmoeller1
Your question has already been answered.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL PM
Different blanket, food, snacks, etc. Not a big deal. Enjoy it!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
it's really not rocket science to answer these questions ... just click on the "learn more" links in the "Delta One" and "First Class" pix on the front page of delta.com

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ess-class.html

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...rst-class.html
Attached Images  
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

it's really not rocket science to answer these questions ... just click on the "learn more" links in the "Delta One" and "First Class" pix on the front page of delta.com

Thanks. Does anybody want to gift me GM? Rocket science.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Given that my degree really is "rocket science" and I can understand where one would misinterpret the actual product, the "it's really not rocket science" seemed a bit uncalled for, especially considering that the images for Delta One on the website show the lie-flat seats while "First Class" shows a standard domestic FC seat, and OP will be getting a flight with a lie-flat. And many of the routes out of JFK don't use the First Class codes but are labeled "Business" (which is the case for the OP), adding to the confusion for those who might be less familiar with all the branding of Delta's various cabins and the terms for them.

OP, as noted above, it will be "standard domestic FC", which likely means the cheap pillow and blanket. It also means the "standard" meals and drink service/types versus the improved meals and wines you would receive on a true Delta One flight. Also, because it's not a guaranteed Delta One/lie-flat route, if there's a sub in advance or even day of, you won't be due any compensation.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Aug 14, 2017 at 11:48 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Given that my degree really is "rocket science" and I can understand where one would misinterpret the actual product, the "it's really not rocket science" seemed a bit uncalled for, especially considering that the images for Delta One on the website show the lie-flat seats while "First Class" shows a standard domestic FC seat, and OP will be getting a flight with a lie-flat.This produce is only offered on international flights plus 4 select domestic routes, of which JFK-SEA is not one of (though, sadly, it used to be).

OP, as noted above, it will be "standard domestic FC", which likely means the cheap pillow and blanket. It also means the "standard" meals and drink service/types versus the improved meals and wines you would receive on a true Delta One flight. Also, because it's not a guaranteed Delta One/lie-flat route, if there's a sub in advance or even day of, you won't be due any compensation.
Agree with all this, including that the snark was uncalled for.

In general, think of Delta One as Delta's premium international product. This is the very best of Delta: the best food they offer served at a leisurely pace in several courses, the best wine they offer, Sky Club lounge access, lay flat seats with premium Westin branded bedding, newspapers upon boarding, etc.

Domestic First class typically is a very paired down version of the above, and it typically is offered on aircraft without lay flat seats, though sometimes they use a plane with lay flat seats and you get lucky. This is one of those routes. You won't get lounge access, the food will be OK but not amazing, the alcohol will be the same that is served in domestic coach but it will be free, and the bedding will be not as nice. ATOBTTR says 'cheap pillow and blanket' but they actually upgraded the domestic blankets recently to a rather nice Westin blanket, but its not the down alternative duvet that is on Delta One.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

apologies to all for "rocket science"; no snark intended

I'll be the first to admit that I tend to have less than an ideal amount of patience with questions that really shouldn't require a lot of effort -- in this case, a fairly quick search on the airline website -- to answer

that said, though, I don't think I'm the only one who doesn't always remember that the folks asking these questions may not have been active FT readers or participants for any substantial length of time
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:05 am

Wed 10/4 - outbound: DL 2853
Tues 10/10 - return: DL 1109

I'm flying business class outbound (is this Delta One?) & coach on the return.

I am a silver medallion currently.

What should I know? I've never been in a lie flat seat.

Buddies are sitting in 3A & 3B and I am in 3C.
As a partner silver from experience you may get Comfort+ on the return leg.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
The only domestic Delta One flights are (IIRC):

SFO-BOS/JFK
LAX-JFK/DCA

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Aug 16, 2017 at 8:23 am Reason: Error
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, AS MVPG 100K
For a business trip, I rode FC ATL-SEA and LAX-ATL using a 767 and 777, respectively, and they both had lie-flat seats. The food was still good, although the wine selection was not comparable (Champagne vs. prosecco, Plain California White vs. Italian). They also didn't give you any amenity kit. I didn't mind the difference, though, because for once, I slept inside a plane even if it was only for 4 hours....

(The LAX-ATL flight was headed to Milan, while the ATL-SEA was headed to Shanghai, which explains the plane selection IMHO.)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
The only domestic Delta One flights are (IIRC):

SFO-BOS/JFK
LAX-JFK/DCA
ATL-HNL
ATL/MSP-HNL are not official D1 routes, though unofficially many describe then as "D1 Light" since you will receive many of the amenities as true D1 service. At least when I did HNL-MSP in FC, we got an amenity kit and the Westin Heavenly bedding/pillow.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
ATL/MSP-HNL are not official D1 routes, though unofficially many describe then as "D1 Light" since you will receive many of the amenities as true D1 service. At least when I did HNL-MSP in FC, we got an amenity kit and the Westin Heavenly bedding/pillow.
It also gets odd because you need a GUC for ATL/MSP-HNL, but a RUC will do for the SFO/LAX D1 routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.