Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta pricing to ORF outrageous!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The new BOS-ORF route that starts this fall isn't cheap either.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Supply meet demand.

If there is no demand at the LGA-ORF rate, either the price drops or the frequency drops if the route can't be operated profitably.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I've done Norfolk quite a bit, especially in the winter when weather has closed or significantly delayed all of the Washington-area airports. It's actually a super-easy airport.

Thankfully, I've never been on a CRJ-200 flight in and out of there. I couldn't imagine flying to/from Minneapolis, which has to be long enough per Delta for a meal service in first-class. I know you get a meal for BWI-MSP.

Have you tried nearby airports like PHF?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Bozzie4
Well, as soon as PHF gets direct service to somewhere other than CLT, PHL, and ATL (or if they finally build another tunnel/teleporter) I imagine you may still have the good luck of paying a premium at ORF.

The beauty of these two co-terminals is that you have some good flexibility in pricing discrepancies, additional seats, and PHF is just a joy to fly out of... the problem with these two co-terminals is that the 25 miles that separates them can quickly become a two hour trip on a bad day and PHF only has three flights to Atlanta a day and two airlines.
I keep hoping PHF will get their act together and be able to offer both more routes and more frequent service to the hubs. But everything in the media seems to suggest PHF is still on the way down and not up. Or so I perceive.

It's sad because a large part of the Hampton Roads peninsula area would probably much rather fly out of PHF than either ORF or RIC. But oh well.

Keith
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tonypct
Looking to book a round trip from LGA to ORF departing on Wednesday, September 6 and returning on Thursday, September 8. Just did this same flight two weeks ago and paid $332.00. Now the fare is $702! I sent an e-mail to Delta asking if this was in fact correct
I always find some amusement whenever I see people post asking why fares are so high, pricing is incorrect, or why said airline doesn't match competitor. And this isn't trying to single out the OP but it just amazes me how little people understand about airline pricing/revenue management.

That $332 fare may still exist, but RM probably sees demand in such that they believe they can sell the higher fare. Airlines match fares and offer fare sales...heck they can file $1 fares but the key difference here is filing fares and opening inventory for sale. So you may see WN file a $200 fare and wonder why DL doesn't have the same fare on the same route and think DL isn't competitive. DL may have the exact same fare filed, even lower fares, but its up to RM to open the actual inventory assigned to that fare. Pricing and revenue management don't always work hand in hand.
kevincrumbs and silverthief2 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:16 am

I find it amusing how flippantly people throw around felony accusations with zero proof, and what hardly amounts to circumstantial evidence.

WN dropped a route, well that hardly ever happens
WN had a plane type they don't use - hard to get a good price when everyone knows you are desperate to get rid of them
Airlines sometimes match prices that are visible to everyone
Not every single route has two airlines running it! - as though DL sees a ton of opportunity flying LAS/RNO and WN sees similar opportunity between MSP and FAR.

Definite collusion
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by tonypct
Looking to book a round trip from LGA to ORF departing on Wednesday, September 6 and returning on Thursday, September 8. Just did this same flight two weeks ago and paid $332.00. Now the fare is $702! I sent an e-mail to Delta asking if this was in fact correct.
I cannot imagine why you thought you would get satisfaction from an e-mail to Delta.

Have you checked fares on competing airlines for your planned travel dates?

David
CPMaverick and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
For the difference in the fares, the original poster could easily fly into a nearby airport or even fly into Washington and take a train or drive down.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qukslvr619

That $332 fare may still exist, but RM probably sees demand in such that they believe they can sell the higher fare. ,
​​​​​​
$322 fare is still there, it just has a 30 day advance purchase.requirement and his travel is too close to meet that. The next fare available for midweek travel without a Saturday night stay is $700. RM is not playing around with inventory, it's just basic fare rules/restrictions that is catching OP. Booking further out or including a Saturday night stay is the only way around them.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ
​​​​​​
RM is not playing around with inventory, it's just basic fare rules/restrictions that is catching OP. Booking further out or including a Saturday night stay is the only way around them.
I was making more of a generalization though that people tend to complain about an airline suddenly making fares ridiculously high on a route not understanding that there is more to it.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by WWads

The airlines are all about stable, predictable income these days. Collusion would help to ensure that, vs intense competition.
What is.... competition? I'm not familiar with that term.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by kop84
I find it amusing how flippantly people throw around felony accusations with zero proof, and what hardly amounts to circumstantial evidence.
Welcome to the new post-factual reality.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
That 717 lease deal really is amazing for DL. Other than that, we don't have direct evidence, since it's difficult to see a lack of expansion/market presence vs drawdown in an established market. There may very well be a few markets where DL has paid WN back by not pushing for a larger market share.

The airlines are all about stable, predictable income these days. Collusion would help to ensure that, vs intense competition.
Why would airlines need to collude in a market that basically has perfect information about competitor pricing and capacity? The only way to stop "collusion" would be to make fares and schedules secret.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Welcome to FT! There must be something wrong with the post counter, though, because it says you have over 2k posts, when that clearly isn't the case.

WN had a plane type they don't use - hard to get a good price when everyone knows you are desperate to get rid of them
It is even harder when you are looking to get rid of more than half of the type ever built. There was pretty much zero market for the plane new, so it is hardly surprising there was pretty much zero market for them once used.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Welcome to FT! There must be something wrong with the post counter, though, because it says you have over 2k posts, when that clearly isn't the case.

I'm used to seeing accusations of lying, and how DL personally went out of their way to make someone's day miserable. But out and out collusion I don't see all that often.

It is even harder when you are looking to get rid of more than half of the type ever built. There was pretty much zero market for the plane new, so it is hardly surprising there was pretty much zero market for them once used.
Isn't the 717 just and MD88/90 after Boeing bough MD? But they were being phased out quickly by everyone but DL and HA by the time that WN needed to dump a lot of airplanes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.