Annoyance with 21+ SC's

Closed Thread

Old Aug 13, 17, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Annoyance with 21+ SC's

So I just recently turned 21 in the early part of 2017. My parents have gotten me a SC membership as a gift, as I travel 99% domestically as a PM.

A lot of airports I travel to, the SC age requirement is 21+. This is usually how the SC agents say to me as I try to enter the club:

"I can see that you're not 21, so just letting you know you can't drink alcohol in here"
"I'm sorry Mr. XXX, this SC is 21+ only"

I would always then respond that I turned 21 early in the year, and I would always have to grab my wallet and take out my ID to prove it to them.
On short layovers, I would like to maximize my time in SC's as much as possible, and every time I try to go into a 21+ SC, I would have to spend 3-5 minutes by the front desk telling them that I had turned 21 earlier in the year.
I don't know why SC agents can't figure out that people born in early part of 1996 is 21 now.

Anyone have any similar experiences? Open for discussion.
Old Aug 13, 17, 8:58 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Crossinator View Post
So I just recently turned 21 in the early part of 2017. My parents have gotten me a SC membership as a gift, as I travel 99% domestically as a PM.

A lot of airports I travel to, the SC age requirement is 21+. This is usually how the SC agents say to me as I try to enter the club:

"I can see that you're not 21, so just letting you know you can't drink alcohol in here"

I would always then respond that I turned 21 early in the year, and I would always have to grab my wallet and take out my ID to prove it to them.
On short layovers, I would like to maximize my time in SC's as much as possible, and every time I try to go into a 21+ SC, I would have to spend 3-5 minutes by the front desk telling them that I had turned 21 earlier in the year.
I don't know why SC agents can't figure out that people born in early part of 1996 is 21 now.

I never had problems with SC access before I turned 21. The agent would occasionally remind me that I wasn't to drink, but usually with a wink and a nod.
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:02 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It really takes you "3-5 minutes" to verify your birthday? I mean, I'm sorry you'll have time for one less chug in the skyclub each visit for the next 4.5 months, that really adds up to like maybe a whole beer.

Mods should merge this into http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ain-about.html
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by WWads View Post
I never had problems with SC access before I turned 21. The agent would occasionally remind me that I wasn't to drink, but usually with a wink and a nod.
haha, when I went to DTW SC a day after I turned 21, the SC agent asked me if I needed a quick overview of the SC. I responded that "oh I have already been here before."
She gave me the most confused look
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

I'm an old goat but c'mon... "3-5 minutes" to prove your age? Maybe have your official identification out when you enter, show it to the agent, let them know you're officially 21 years of age, and then enter the club?

What's that, maybe 3-5 seconds?
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:06 am
pvn
Suspended

Maybe he meant 3-5 minutes total over his entire lifetime?
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:08 am
pvn
Suspended

Actually now that I think about it, this thread would probably be better merged into http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...a-stories.html
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Hey, I feel his pain, I hate it when CLEAR is backed up, and it takes me 3-5 minutes to get through TSA. At my age, that's taking away from precious time left.

(left for drinking, I meant to say)
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM, Hertz PC, Marriott/SPG Gold
I get carded in just about every restaurant or bar, as I'm a very young looking 29-year old...but it has never happened at a self-serve SC.

Now, the new Seattle SC bar, that's another story. Every. Single. Time.

Last edited by Dennis88; Aug 13, 17 at 9:30 am
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
I get upset when I'm not carded, must be the gray hair!
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:33 am
Original Poster

I understand that this isn't a big deal and I should just have to deal with it. My main point is that when they I give them my BP, it should pop up on their computers saying that I am 21, and I should be granted entry without any problems. That way, I won't have to spend any more time than I want to at the front desk and go enjoy my drinks (:

I also carry my wallet (and my ID) in my backpack, so it's really annoying having to take it out when they ask for it. I also use CLEAR so I don't really need to take out my ID when I travel.
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:39 am

I understand that this isn't a big deal...
Good, you are overcoming adolescence.
dgilman likes this.
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:46 am

Hey, this sort of thing is an annoyance to me as well - my ID gets stashed safely away once I pass the BP check at security, and I don't love having to dig it out if I go to a bar that asks for it. I'm old, folks, I could technically have kids of drinking age!! I'm kinda surprised that there isn't a one-time 3-5 minute process that removes whatever checkbox there is in your backend profile that flags you as underage.

All that said, if this was an issue I faced regularly, I'd likely change my habit to stashing my ID away later in the process.
Crossinator likes this.
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
What's your hourly rate, that 3 minutes is such a big deal?

That said, as mentioned earlier, if you expect this to happen, I would think you would configure your wallet / ID placement accordingly so you're not so horribly inconvenienced.

THAT said, a few years from now you'll WISH you were getting carded!
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:53 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by synergistic View Post
I'm kinda surprised that there isn't a one-time 3-5 minute process that removes whatever checkbox there is in your backend profile that flags you as underage.
What makes you think that something "flags you as underage"? It's almost certainly agents looking at the DOB and just seeing the year and filling in the blanks incorrectly.

I doubt OP even really needs to pull his ID out of his bag, he could probably just direct the agent to look at the DOB again more closely. I would be surprised if their screen shows the year and not the entire DOB.

Search this Thread