Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annoyance with 21+ SC's

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:57 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by synergistic
I'm kinda surprised that there isn't a one-time 3-5 minute process that removes whatever checkbox there is in your backend profile that flags you as underage.
I think the problem with this is, that, if some type of liquor enforcement agent was checking SkyClub guests, and the guest didn't have physical ID on them (as is possible with the OP using Clear), there would be an issue.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Often times when my husband and I approach the car, he waits until we get to the car to find his key and open the door. I always wonder why he doesn't look for his key on the way to the car so that we don't have to wait when we get to the car.

Same goes with this scenario. Have your ID in hand as you approach the club.

But I think the issue is actually a different one… there's often and indignity felt when one is perceived as being too young to get into a restricted by age area. Most of us have been there. But it changes as we get older. And then there comes a time that we wish that we look young again.
chrisny2 and jdrtravel like this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by pvn
What makes you think that something "flags you as underage"? It's almost certainly agents looking at the DOB and just seeing the year and filling in the blanks incorrectly.

I doubt OP even really needs to pull his ID out of his bag, he could probably just direct the agent to look at the DOB again more closely. I would be surprised if their screen shows the year and not the entire DOB.

Honestly, my reasoning for thinking that there's a flag is just because I tend to doubt that he'd run into this problem consistently if the issue depended on every SC agent checking the field and doing the math every time. I made the (quite possibly incorrect) assumption that his experiences would be a lot more hit-or-miss if there wasn't some sort of automated process prompting the agent to bring it up.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by synergistic
Hey, this sort of thing is an annoyance to me as well - my ID gets stashed safely away once I pass the BP check at security, and I don't love having to dig it out if I go to a bar that asks for it.
The one time I actually use my passport card is at airports on domestic routes. It gets stashed in an outer pocket that's easy to access at TSA checkpoints or otherwise as needed while the driver's license is deep in my carry-on. I figure if I lose the passport card, no big deal- I just report it lost and don't replace it, while a driver's license would have to be replaced through an annoying process.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Dennis88
I get carded in just about every restaurant or bar, as I'm a very young looking 29-year old...but it has never happened at a self-serve SC.

Now, the new Seattle SC bar, that's another story. Every. Single. Time.
I think that's just the bar staff there at the new SCc. I'm in my mid-forties (and look it), and I get carded about half the time.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:36 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by beachmouse
The one time I actually use my passport card is at airports on domestic routes. It gets stashed in an outer pocket that's easy to access at TSA checkpoints or otherwise as needed while the driver's license is deep in my carry-on. I figure if I lose the passport card, no big deal- I just report it lost and don't replace it, while a driver's license would have to be replaced through an annoying process.
Seems like you're much more likely to lose your DL if it's in your bag (i.e. you might lose your entire bag any of a thousand ways) than if it were in, say, your front pants pocket.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by pvn
Seems like you're much more likely to lose your DL if it's in your bag (i.e. you might lose your entire bag any of a thousand ways) than if it were in, say, your front pants pocket.
It's in a card holder inside my pocketbook which is inside my small purse inside a larger backpack or cross body messenger.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP

I've bought one for everyone in my family who travels more than twice each year.

Mobile boarding pass and ID in the same place and easy to put ID back to go through the xray.

Last edited by ekozie; Aug 13, 2017 at 10:48 am Reason: image size
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:03 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It's in a card holder inside my pocketbook which is inside my small purse inside a larger backpack or cross body messenger.
OK? I mean, if your concern is losing it, it doesn't matter how many bags you nest it inside. If you lose the big bag, you lose the license, whether that license is just loose at the bottom of the bag, or whether it's inside a small bag that is inside a medium bag which is inside the big bag.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I've never been carded at a Sky Club. I've gotten a few flares from the bartender but they've never carded me.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
After thinking it over, I think that the main reason why I go through this is due to incorrect math by SC agents.

Going to a bar / bartender is different. You don't give them your BP and they scan it, showing all your details. When a SC agent scans it, it probably shows everything including your FF #, DOB, flight details, etc.

I like it when everything is just to the point without any extra conversation. I just want them to scan my BP, and then just say, "Welcome Mr. XXX, your flight is on-time at gate A38. Hope you enjoy your stay."
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
I'm thinking either Russian nesting dolls, or some sort of event horizon, where all matter collapses into a space from which nothing can escape.

Either way, I'm surprised it wasn't confiscated by TSA.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by pvn
OK? I mean, if your concern is losing it, it doesn't matter how many bags you nest it inside. If you lose the big bag, you lose the license, whether that license is just loose at the bottom of the bag, or whether it's inside a small bag that is inside a medium bag which is inside the big bag.
Big bag typically strapped to my person while in motion is far easier to keep track of than small item placed into a pocket where it could just slide out.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Crossinator
After thinking it over, I think that the main reason why I go through this is due to incorrect math by SC agents.

Going to a bar / bartender is different. You don't give them your BP and they scan it, showing all your details. When a SC agent scans it, it probably shows everything including your FF #, DOB, flight details, etc.

I like it when everything is just to the point without any extra conversation. I just want them to scan my BP, and then just say, "Welcome Mr. XXX, your flight is on-time at gate A38. Hope you enjoy your stay."
Many bars have signs for staff saying that you must have been born this day in 19XX or earlier to legally drink.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by zrs70
Often times when my husband and I approach the car, he waits until we get to the car to find his key and open the door. I always wonder why he doesn't look for his key on the way to the car so that we don't have to wait when we get to the car.

Same goes with this scenario. Have your ID in hand as you approach the club.

But I think the issue is actually a different one… there's often and indignity felt when one is perceived as being too young to get into a restricted by age area. Most of us have been there. But it changes as we get older. And then there comes a time that we wish that we look young again.
Not having the car key in hand is a different sort of problem: it's a matter of safety and personal security versus in the OP's case, "just" inconveniencing others behind him/her in the line to enter the SC or get a drink from the bartender.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.