Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are the most stupid things you have heard people say when walking through F/J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the most stupid things you have heard people say when walking through F/J?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
My favorite response to a stranger who asks me an intrusive, personal or insinuating question about anything-age,status,price,etc is to look them in the eye and ask them"Can you keep a secret?", and as these stranger susually acquiesce, I tell them "So can I". I never get a follow up question after that.
Maybe I'll try that if anyone ever asks me an age, status, price, etc. type of question on an airplane or in an airport if I'm ever faced with one of those questions.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by pvn
Oh, there are definitely a bunch of nosey busybodies who are totally upfront about the fact that they will read other people's boarding pass, probably closely enough to see the fare class and figure out if they're (approximately) on a paid fare or an award or an upgrade.
But how else are we to out the NRSAs who are stealing our upgrades?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:30 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by DiverDave
heh, that's a good one but I think the main reason that people do this (at least, the ones who proudly admit to it here on flyertalk) it to stamp out the terrible menace of people boarding in the wrong group.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
heh, that's a good one but I think the main reason that people do this (at least, the ones who proudly admit to it here on flyertalk) it to stamp out the terrible menace of people boarding in the wrong group.
Like the proud business suited Gold Medallion who body checked me a year ago in the gatehouse as I was boarding an MSP-AMS flight, shouting "What's your status? This is PREMIUM BOARDING ONLY."

I actually appreciated the opportunity to rattle off "Diamond Medallion in paid business class" as I neatly side stepped him, to the great amusement of everyone nearby except him.

(Then, he tried the same thing on my wife! With the same results. Which made it even better. He gave up after that...)

Those gates at the far end of F are a total travesty at MSP - get more than a few large flights boarding at once and total anarchy breaks out. I get it, but really, people (including GM Guy, who probably reads FT): let the gate agents do their job.

Sometimes I'll approach and offer to help someone by explaining the boarding process if they look totally confused about what's going on - but enforcement is not something any passenger has any business injecting themselves into.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Originally Posted by pvn
Someone should make a luggage tag that from afar looks like a BP with NRSA slapped across the front and ZONE 4 on the side.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Not much of a statement, but...

As I was seated in 2B of today's LAX-MSP flight (RU, because I NEVER pay for domestic F...also wearing capris and tennis shoes), sipping my PDB, catching up on FT....one of the passengers in approx zone 3 stopped right next to me and very audibly passed gas.

not sure if it was a commentary on F, or just bad timing, but the effects were certainly long lasting

there definitely IS a downside to being in the pointy part of the plane while everyone parades by...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
Someone should make a luggage tag that from afar looks like a BP with NRSA slapped across the front and ZONE 4 on the side.
Is there a zone 4? Oh wait, zone 1 is the fourth group to be called, so 4 = 1. It reminds me of some George Orwell utopian novels: After a while, everyone starts to believe that which does not make sense.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm not sure I believe all these quotes. For most of my life not only did I never say anything while walking back to economy, I never even had the slightest thought about those seats or who sat there. I never assumed I belonged to that class. It was only when I joined United Mileage Plus and flew a lot and started getting free upgrades that I ever even had a thought about First Class. And since then, while I've seen plenty of people look around the cabin, I've never heard anyone utter a single phrase about it.
RealHJ likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm not sure I believe all these quotes. For most of my life not only did I never say anything while walking back to economy, I never even had the slightest thought about those seats or who sat there. I never assumed I belonged to that class. It was only when I joined United Mileage Plus and flew a lot and started getting free upgrades that I ever even had a thought about First Class. And since then, while I've seen plenty of people look around the cabin, I've never heard anyone utter a single phrase about it.

Wait...you don't believe what you read on the internet In all seriousness though, from my experience, I would say that I have witnessed the majority of what everyone has mentioned or interacted with people in the course of life that I know would say such things and all of it has been in the last few years. Like you (and most people), I would never say anything as I walk to the past the F cabin, but the effort of certain groups and the media to distort realities and antagonize and encourage hatred, disdain and jealousy for their ratings, has given people across all spectrums the chutzpa to say a lot of ridiculous things. 5 years ago, when people said dumb stuff in F/J (I had a lady sitting next to me in F once that was worried because we had a female pilot - no joke), but the dumb stuff was never about being in F/J. Now it seems it exclusively is.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:39 pm

"Anybody wanna trade your seat for my aisle seat in the back? I'll throw in a snack!"
silverthief2 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:24 pm

Flying QR J Dallas to Doha, Y was backed up into the mini J cabin, and as people were waiting, an older lady ask me how much my ticket cost... I told her around $5,000 for the round trip, which she responded with something along the lines of "must be nice having rich parents!" I didn't respond, but what made it awkward was that Y didn't move at all and she kind of just stood there next to me...
Osmo likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Somebody once told me "You filthy a***ole, you paid up for first class?" - wasn't an ordinary somebody but a friend on the same flight having Y seat in the middle. I texted him during the flight (we're both on Wifi) asking him if he's enjoying squeezing in his seat and that the beef served is delicious.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:33 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by awayIgo
My parents were strict economy people. Of course back then economy was actually somewhat comfortable. They easily could have afforded business or first. Every time I sit in my business seat, I hear, in my head, my late Dad's voice, "the back off the plane gets there,the same time as the front"
LoLoL!!!

I have a friend who owns 32 Cars, including MANY Ferraris, even has his own hangar at the airport!

He says the same exact thing and has never flown in anything but Y in his life--including trips to Europe.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by 355F1
I have a friend who owns 32 Cars, including MANY Ferraris, even has his own hangar at the airport!

---- and has never flown in anything but Y in his life--including trips to Europe.
This is absolutely key. We all choose (or most have the option ) to spend our money how we want. I love freedom and democracy. There are people who will think absolutely nothing about spending 100$ per head dining out and then get a nice bottle of wine as well. My wife simply would not enjoy it - even for a wedding anniversary. She is quite happy at O'Charleys or Applebees etc. She resents spending money on eating out. Other people buy cars, motorbikes etc , some women spend a fortune on shoes and dresses (my middle daughter has I think 32 pairs of shoes). I choose to spend my money paying for First/Business from time to time.

Each to their own. I don't whine if someone has 32 cars and motorbikes or spends a huge amount at an expensive restaurant - so I don't like it when someone whines when I sit in F/D1/Business
trooper and csyoung49 like this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I know a very wealthy guy (stock market) who wouldn't think of not reserving a suite whenever he stays in a hotel but he has never flown FC or even international business class. He just automatically buys the cheapest coach tickets.

Another guy I know who makes enormous amounts of money from consulting not only reserves suites in nothing but the top hotel available (and has the concierge take care of him in exchange for big tips) but also insists on flying LX FC whenever possible, although he's very aware of the benefits he's entitled to at his unpublished LH tier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.