Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are the most stupid things you have heard people say when walking through F/J?

What are the most stupid things you have heard people say when walking through F/J?

Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:47 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by EditingFX
This is the King of Saudi Arabia's plane:

Grouchy and EditingFX like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:26 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by David Ocamb
Living in Austin TX and spending a good amount of time in the valley I find this hilarious. The entire concept that you can tell net worth based on dress or age is hilarious. To be honest it seems like those that hold it are from flyover states where they might be the richest in their city but have no concept of big money.
I like how you declare that people shouldn't generalize and then generalize all in the same post.
DeltaDunce likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:47 am

My favorite of all time actually came not in First Class but as I was preparing to board. Delta called Business Class on my flight from LHR and I started to walk to the boarding gate. One woman who apparently had appointed herself "gate monitor" lashed out at Me "THEY ARE ONLY BOARDING BUSINESS CLASS, GET BACK IN LINE" (yes she screamed it so that most of the gate area could hear her ) I smiled nicely and said "I am in business class would you like to inspect my boarding pass". She made some nasty comment and her poor traveling companion looked like he wanted to crawl under the plane with the luggage and said "SHUT UP" LOL!

At the time I was much younger and I guess she thought young females weren't allowed in the front of the plane!

I generally don't recall hearing many comments besides from my coworkers when I got upgraded and they didn't...

As for judging on appearance. I am reminded of the car dealer in Nashville. I was rear ended, my 9 month old car totaled. The next day in shorts and a t-shirt I go to the Saab dealer to start the process of buying a new car. I walk around the cars, I look at the cars, I am probably in the dealership or parking lot of well over 20 minutes. I can see the salesman, they are all doing nothing.... I leave and go online and buy the car in another city. When I go in for service, I find the manager. I say "see that new 9-3 convertible, all anyone had to do to get that sale was talk to me, but apparently women dressed in shorts don't buy cars". In the immortal words of Julia Roberts "big mistake!" Easy sale gone. He at least had the good sense to apologize and act embarrassed.

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Aug 14, 2017 at 7:54 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by davetravels
This is the King of Saudi Arabia's plane:

You can't fool us. We all know that's Trump's plane.
GRALISTAIR likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:02 am

I'm not certain I'm onboard with tying FC seating to net worth - but I agree with the sentiment, at least. I'm probably better judged by my luggage than my attire, but I honestly just don't waste a lot of time worrying about the sorts of people that judge me on either.

Regardless, my flip flops and I are just as deserving of those hard won upgrades as the other road warrior in a nice suit, and both of us have just as much right to be there as the wealthy couple wearing... I dunno, what do 'wealthy' people wear? ;-)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
I leave and go online and buy the car in another city. When I go in for service, I find the manager. I say "see that new 9-3 convertible, all anyone had to do to get that sale was talk to me, but apparently women dressed in shorts don't buy cars". In the immortal words of Julia Roberts "big mistake!" Easy sale gone. He at least had the good sense to apologize and act embarrassed.
I hate car buying with a passion! I also told a sales manager explicitly why his salesman lost my sale (I drove to another state to buy my car!) I've not had explicit sexism as bad trying to do any other thing in modern life as shopping for and buying a car.....(I mean, I guess I'm lucky if that is the worst, but still...)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
My favorite of all time actually came not in First Class but as I was preparing to board. Delta called Business Class on my flight from LHR and I started to walk to the boarding gate. One woman who apparently had appointed herself "gate monitor" lashed out at Me "THEY ARE ONLY BOARDING BUSINESS CLASS, GET BACK IN LINE" (yes she screamed it so that most of the gate area could hear her )
My favorite way of dealing with people like this is to say "Oh... well I won't tell if you won't" with a small wink, and keep right on going. Some people won't push it, while others go right through the roof.
SDQBound, Hoyaheel, AKC6 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:51 am

First question from my seatmate's on my last flight after the traditional salutations was when did my upgrade clear? How did he know I was a medallion (I didn't even have my bag with an old brag tag on it)?

Once or twice a year I get a good natured comment from an elderly lady about being a young person sitting up front. Every few flights I hear a comment from a parent and their child about how they are sitting in the back.

The best is when I am travelling with family who cheaped out and are flying in the back (even though they could easily afford the $150RT upcharge on a flight halfway across the U.S.) and they ask if they can have my blanket as they walk by and I give it to them. I get a lot of strange looks, like it never occurred to people I might know the person who I just gave my blanket to.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
My wife had not traveled much before we met. Other than finding the cheapest possible ticket to visit her parents once per year, she never flew.

We did an around-the-world trip for our honeymoon, 6 long haul segments, three in F and three in J. She was dumbfounded on our first flight on ANA from SEA-NRT. She had no idea at all that lie-flat seats even existed, or that there was a class of service that included menus and multi-course meals.

First words entering the cabin: "Holy F*ck." She's an elementary school teacher, and I think that's the first and maybe the only time I've ever heard her utter the F-bomb.

How quickly she got used to it, though. Our final international segment was DXB-SFO on an Emirates A380 in F. She looked around and said, "This looks OK, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the menu."
trooper and Randyk47 like this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I hate car buying with a passion! I also told a sales manager explicitly why his salesman lost my sale (I drove to another state to buy my car!) I've not had explicit sexism as bad trying to do any other thing in modern life as shopping for and buying a car.....(I mean, I guess I'm lucky if that is the worst, but still...)
Back in my 20s, I had had a car dealership sales person ask me how I would pay for the car I was looking at. I answered, don't you take checks? Now, its "here is my amex, I need the points."
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by spamkiller
Back in my 20s, I had had a car dealership sales person ask me how I would pay for the car I was looking at. I answered, don't you take checks? Now, its "here is my amex, I need the points."
I wound up buying mine in Atlanta from a dealership group that has sold me several cars since then. Treating me right has paid off for them
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dennis88
Maybe I just pay too much attention, but I feel like this happens about every other time I'm in the F or D1 cabin.

I think it mostly stems from a misconception of the generally flying public about the cost of flying upfront. I know I have had friends who just can't understand how I, as a 29-year old, can fly D1 or F....well, F is mostly just because I get upgraded or because I need the flexibility, and international D1 is because it actually makes a difference in productivity when I arrive and being self-employed the incremental cost isn't that bad because of the tax write-off, but to make that clear...I usually just give up and tell them I booked with miles.
For the person without any status and without any chance of any upgrades, it's a massive difference in cost between Y and F.

Random date in Sept ATL-JNB: Cheapest Y: $1700. Cheapest D1: $9000. This is what pop ups when you search for your fair on Delta.com. So maybe excuse them for this "misconception."

Last edited by CBear; Aug 14, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CBear
For the person without any status and without any chance of any upgrades, it's a massive difference in cost between Y and F.

Random date in Sept ATL-JNB: Cheapest Y: $1700. Cheapest D1: $9000. This is what pop ups when you search for your fair on Delta.com. So maybe excuse them for this "misconception."
OTOH, ATL-MCO on a random November date:
Lowest coach: $208
Lowest first: $257

I agree with OP that if you want a premium cabin and shop around, the incremental cost, while not insignificant, is usually not a large as lots of people assume it might be.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
OTOH, ATL-MCO on a random November date:
Lowest coach: $208
Lowest first: $257

I agree with OP that if you want a premium cabin and shop around, the incremental cost, while not insignificant, is usually not a large as lots of people assume it might be.
Long haul international vs short haul domestic. Please point me to a long haul route where the difference between Y and F is $50.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
When did this happen? 90s?

My favorite of all time actually came not in First Class but as I was preparing to board. Delta called Business Class on my flight from LHR and I started to walk to the boarding gate. One woman who apparently had appointed herself "gate monitor" lashed out at Me "THEY ARE ONLY BOARDING BUSINESS CLASS, GET BACK IN LINE" (yes she screamed it so that most of the gate area could hear her ) I smiled nicely and said "I am in business class would you like to inspect my boarding pass". She made some nasty comment and her poor traveling companion looked like he wanted to crawl under the plane with the luggage and said "SHUT UP" LOL!

At the time I was much younger and I guess she thought young females weren't allowed in the front of the plane!

I generally don't recall hearing many comments besides from my coworkers when I got upgraded and they didn't...

As for judging on appearance. I am reminded of the car dealer in Nashville. I was rear ended, my 9 month old car totaled. The next day in shorts and a t-shirt I go to the Saab dealer to start the process of buying a new car. I walk around the cars, I look at the cars, I am probably in the dealership or parking lot of well over 20 minutes. I can see the salesman, they are all doing nothing.... I leave and go online and buy the car in another city. When I go in for service, I find the manager. I say "see that new 9-3 convertible, all anyone had to do to get that sale was talk to me, but apparently women dressed in shorts don't buy cars". In the immortal words of Julia Roberts "big mistake!" Easy sale gone. He at least had the good sense to apologize and act embarrassed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.