recline etiquite

Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Seems kind of dumb to use an oversized laptop with a screen that will get smashed if something that occurs fairly often happens.

So the OP is out $500 or something. Does this happen to him often?

if I know something will regularly come down and break an item, I do not put valuables there.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Gentlemen don't recline fast.

Do people remember that song about wanting a man with a slow hand?
I want a lover with an easy touch

#lyricsFriday
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe
if I know something will regularly come down and break an item, I do not put valuables there.
I was kinda thinking that too. If you've flown enough to know a "reclining seat can smash your laptop", wouldn't you either 1) position your laptop on the tray so it wouldn't be smashed if the person in front of you reclined (as I do when I use mine) or 2) get a smaller laptop?

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Aug 11, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM, Marriott Plat, SPG gold, Hilton Gold,Avis PS
C'mon guys....let's not bring "size" into this....lol

Besides...its a Samsung series 9......ultra light, ulta portable.

And "smash" does not infer broken.... The seat came back so fast, it closed the lid with a thud. Let's just say it was extremely unexpected with 20 min left during a landing announcement. Maybe he thought the flight just started and it was a post departure message.

Look....I'm not being catty with any of this, nor am I incredibly pissed off.... I just think a tiny bit of courtesy from an obviously seasoned traveler like most of us here, might have been expected. After all.....he was advertising the fact he reads this forum, and is a DM.

Oh and whoever you are.....I agree with your comments you so loudly proclaimed in the Sky Club before the flight to your surrounding fellow Delta flyers......Yes...Thank god its Friday.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
If you don't want your laptop smashed, buy a bulkhead seat! (WLNSBB)

Cheers,
David
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Nice one Dave!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by nytracon
By the way.....we are at the gate and your seat is still back...lol
Maybe they hit the button by mistake or the seat broke???
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Nope....he sent the seat back....and fell asleep...didnt wake up until we hit the ground....

He must have been going for that 20 min power nap......
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'm not going to rapidly recline my seats but I'm not going to ask permission either. Of course if you want to pay for half of my ticket then we can work something out.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
C'mon guys....let's not bring "size" into this....lol

Besides...its a Samsung series 9......ultra light, ulta portable.

And "smash" does not infer broken.... The seat came back so fast, it closed the lid with a thud. Let's just say it was extremely unexpected with 20 min left during a landing announcement. Maybe he thought the flight just started and it was a post departure message.

Look....I'm not being catty with any of this, nor am I incredibly pissed off.... I just think a tiny bit of courtesy from an obviously seasoned traveler like most of us here, might have been expected. After all.....he was advertising the fact he reads this forum, and is a DM.

Oh and whoever you are.....I agree with your comments you so loudly proclaimed in the Sky Club before the flight to your surrounding fellow Delta flyers......Yes...Thank god its Friday.
If a seat tapping your laptop lid is enough to "close it with a thud," sounds like some crappy hinges.
fti likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:14 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I usually look behind me and make sure the person isn't eating or something like that...then I SLOWLY recline the seat. I will say however that the seats don't really allow for smooth recline. It usually ends up being a choppy incremental recline. Sorry about your laptop. 1st world problem. What were you doing with your laptop out if you were landing. It seems as if maybe both of you all were in the wrong. Also the flight attendant should have made him put his seat "upright and locked position"
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, DL PM, Marriott Gold, HIlton Gold
I think the planned seat upgrades in D1 will not allow seats to be reclined in the last twenty minutes of flight.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Nope....he sent the seat back....and fell asleep...didnt wake up until we hit the ground....

He must have been going for that 20 min power nap......
You should have got up by HOLDING his seat back for the next 20 mins.
1 time for restroom, 1 time for last drink, 1 time to get stuff from overhead bin, 1 time to put the stuff back, 1 time to stretch your legs, 1 more time just for fun.

Now that is waking him up 6 times in 20 mins.
hockeystl likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
You should have got up by HOLDING his seat back for the next 20 mins.
1 time for restroom, 1 time for last drink, 1 time to get stuff from overhead bin, 1 time to put the stuff back, 1 time to stretch your legs, 1 more time just for fun.

Now that is waking him up 6 times in 20 mins.

funny....

but it's just not worth the aggravation for the "retribution".. hopefully, as I expect, he reads the thread and maybe...just maybe the next passenger behind him will have a "thudless" experience. this was my motive for posting it, as we know he reads FT.

one can only hope...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:01 pm

One good thing about Ryanair - their seats do not recline.
pony_trekker likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.