Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any SkyTeam carrier flies to GYE??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
Any SkyTeam carrier flies to GYE??

I remember Delta used to serve GYE nonstop from ATL, but they dropped the route a few years back. I might find myself flying to GYE in a month and I'm trying to fly SkyTeam to keep my PM status. I know Delta flies to UIO, but I don't want to risk buying two separate tickets, in the event one of the carriers does not arrive on time. I am also surprised AM does not fly to GYE.

Has anyone figured out a way to fly SkyTeam to GYE?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
UX and KL both fly to GYE, but I doubt you want to fly via Europe. Seeing as your airport is FLL, maybe try TAME and their FLL-GYE nonstop? It's 2x weekly.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:14 am

Tickets from UIO-GYE are usually incredibly cheap (<$100). I usually just overnight in Quito and hop down in the morning. On the way back just give yourself a long connection @UIO to be able to absorb any potential issues.

I do this somewhat often and have never had any problems. Even when DL flew to GYE it was usually 1x/week, so it was never terribly relevant in my calculations.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Nada!
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Tickets from UIO-GYE are usually incredibly cheap (<$100). I usually just overnight in Quito and hop down in the morning. On the way back just give yourself a long connection @UIO to be able to absorb any potential issues.

I do this somewhat often and have never had any problems. Even when DL flew to GYE it was usually 1x/week, so it was never terribly relevant in my calculations.
This is what I have done a few times. You can stay out by the airport in Quito and fly on the next day. Coming back, I fly straight through. I've also flown back early and gone into Quito for dinner since it is a late flight. But I have never found a way direct to GYE to earn Skymiles
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Echoing the above, it's wouldn't be a big deal to stay at UIO and just fly to GYE in the morning (given the timing of the ATL-UIO flight) and then go straight through on the return. UIO is a fairly compact, efficient (and remarkably nice, given the new terminal) airport - I haven't connected there, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by WesTraveller
I remember Delta used to serve GYE nonstop from ATL, but they dropped the route a few years back. I might find myself flying to GYE in a month and I'm trying to fly SkyTeam to keep my PM status. I know Delta flies to UIO, but I don't want to risk buying two separate tickets, in the event one of the carriers does not arrive on time. I am also surprised AM does not fly to GYE.

Has anyone figured out a way to fly SkyTeam to GYE?
There are also usually workarounds to put the entire itinerary, even with a non-ST carrier, on one ticket to (semi-) protect against delays. Matrix Powertools used to be my go-to as it would pull directly into dl.dumb, but it's been a little wonky lately with DL's website enhancements changing code. OTAs can definitely book the last UIO-GYE leg on 006 stock. Also, calling Delta a good agent may be able to force the leg on as well. Powertools and Google Flights are your friend here.

That being said, no way full-on to GYE on Skyteam w/o transiting Europe. I'd get as far as UIO on DL and take the sub-hour hop on whomever.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ekozie
OTAs can definitely book the last UIO-GYE leg on 006 stock.
They can if DL has an interline ticketing agreement with the local carrier UIO-GYE. TAME and LATAM seem to work with single fare components ATL-GYE.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They can if DL has an interline ticketing agreement with the local carrier UIO-GYE. TAME and LATAM seem to work with single fare components ATL-GYE.
Those are the two locals that seem to be showing up. Be mindful when booking though - both seem to be running mainly 319s, but a handful of ATRs are thrown in as well.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
You are all awesome, thanks for the prompt responses.

Although I could use the MQMs, going through Europe would make it a long travel journey, lol.

I will try finding on Google Flights or calling Delta to get all flights on one ticket stock. If that is not cost effective, I will consider booking with long connections.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by WesTraveller
You are all awesome, thanks for the prompt responses.

Although I could use the MQMs, going through Europe would make it a long travel journey, lol.

I will try finding on Google Flights or calling Delta to get all flights on one ticket stock. If that is not cost effective, I will consider booking with long connections.
If you use ITA Matrix and bookwithmatrix.com, you can easily get it all on one ticket.

Open advanced controls and just put "atl uio"/"uio atl" in the routing codes box. You may need to call the DL ticketing desk though if bookwithmatrix doesn't work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.