Wiki Posts
Search

Where's the farthest I can go for $450

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Where's the farthest I can go for $450

I got a $900 "give up your seat" voucher a while ago and would love to go somewhere fun with Mrs. 419er. Is there a way to search Delta, or another website, that could answer the question: "To which destinations, outside the 48 contiguous US states, could I fly in the next 10 months, for $450 per person, round trip, from PDX or SEA?"
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Use Google Flights. You can specify your departure city, and the amount you're willing to pay. The map view will show all possible destinations that fit your parameters.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The VS nonstops to London have been really cheap for this fall. I'm not sure it will be quite that cheap, but I've seen them for around $600. You can also always keep an eye on Amsterdam. Mexico City is also a really good option.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 419er
I got a $900 "give up your seat" voucher a while ago and would love to go somewhere fun with Mrs. 419er. Is there a way to search Delta, or another website, that could answer the question: "To which destinations, outside the 48 contiguous US states, could I fly in the next 10 months, for $450 per person, round trip, from PDX or SEA?"
Are you sure your voucher includes the Mrs? It may be just for you.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:44 am

IIRC, you can get SEA-ANC-SEA in (domestic) first for <$450 pretty regularly. Before spend started counting, I briefly pondered combining a few of these with some SDCs to SEA-MSP-ANC-MSP-SEA to bulk up my MQMs.

You said contiguous, so I thought maybe you'd actually consider Alaska. Supposed to be gorgeous country.

Regardless, the above advice (Google Flights) is spot on - play with your available dates and you'll find something that works well for you.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you sure that you can use half of your voucher for your wife's ticket? They're usually nontransferable, but having two tickets on the same PNR might be an exception. Check also the rules about using the voucher for partner or codeshare flights.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure that you can use half of your voucher for your wife's ticket? They're usually nontransferable, but having two tickets on the same PNR might be an exception. Check also the rules about using the voucher for partner or codeshare flights.
I've had a supervisor make an exception to this rule for me.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Delta has round trips in December from SEA to New York Non-Stop for $257

If you're looking to go to Europe I'm seeing SEA-LHR for $852 RT via LAS on VS/DL.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Wow thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll check the voucher - I thought it was just $900 for however I wanted to spend it but I only recently switched to Delta so I"m not totally sure.

Also thanks for the tips on Google Flights - I've taken a look and haven't exactly figured out how to do it yet - but I'm sure I will.

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For one person, $900 should cover a cheap RT coach ticket to many destinations in Europe, South America, or Asia if purchased in advance, while $450 per person would limit your choices generally to North America (Alaska, Canada, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, maybe northern South America) unless you get very lucky.

However, why is the goal to maximize the distance unless you're trying for DL status based on MQMs? Why not just find a destination that interests you and a time that works well? Also, are expenses at the destination a concern? And are you concerned about some of the safety issues that tourists to Mexico have experienced recently?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by hi55us

If you're looking to go to Europe I'm seeing SEA-LHR for $852 RT via LAS on VS/DL.
I am seeing SEA-LHR nonstop in November for $647 on VS.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I am seeing SEA-LHR nonstop in November for $647 on VS.
I'm seeing around $650 pp on SEA-LHR on a very large number of dates in Oct, Nov, Jan, Feb, and Mar. Even if you won't get a free flight, this would still give you a pretty good value.

Some of these fares look like they have a minimum stay requirement, so keep an eye on those if you don't have flexible dates/duration.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hasn't the rule for this always been (at least since the great voucher devaluation of 2011) that they are non-transferable, but can be applied to a companion's ticket if traveling on the same PNR as the person named on the voucher? Or did Delta strike again at some point?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Wow thanks for the ideas everyone. I'll check the voucher - I thought it was just $900 for however I wanted to spend it but I only recently switched to Delta so I"m not totally sure.

Also thanks for the tips on Google Flights - I've taken a look and haven't exactly figured out how to do it yet - but I'm sure I will.

Thanks!
One thing on Google Flights - for DL if there's a Basic Economy fare in the market that's what they'll show. So you have to be a little careful.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
I guess we've been very "lucky" over the years, but a $900 voucher will get my wife and I to just about anywhere in the world (and back). And I've never had an issue applying a VDB voucher to both of our tickets, one at a time, by phone.

If you are patient, which it seems you are if your planning horizon is anytime in the next 10 months, you will easily get 2 tickets to Europe. It has gotten to the point where I'm not even interested unless the fare starts with a "3." Fares to Europe in the $400s are the new normal, at least for now.

China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bali, India - these are all possible in the mid-$400s if you wait for it. Japan used to be cheaper. In the past, we've done LAX-NRT-LAX-NRT-LAX all on the same PNR for $412.50/ea. The first roundtrip was for miles/MQMs, then stayed on the beach in Redondo Beach and relaxed, then went back to actually hang out in Tokyo for a while.

We currently have 2 tickets booked to Singapore in Nov within your budget +$50. On a good day you can get to South Africa if you contribute another ~$150/ea in cash. Santiago, Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio, etc. are all possible if you're diligent.

I agree with MSPEco - give some thought to where you'd like to go - even if it's a list of 5+ possibilities - and then follow the right people on Twitter, set up text alerts and wait for your deal to come along.
GotogoBob likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.