Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL AMS-IND?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
I think MIDWESTERNFLYER was referring to people from IND who drive to ORD to catch a TATL flight, which many people I know and myself have done many times.

There isn't much of a difference between the MSAs:

CVG - 2,165,139
IND - 2,004,230

Indy's CSA is actually slightly larger:

CVG - 2,224,231
IND - 2,386,199
Correct, that is what I meant.

Also, don't forget that the IND MSA is growing almost 3x faster than the CVG MSA. And the CSA is growing at 2x that of CVG.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Grouchy
I see IND-AMS (or LHR) operated by DL (or UA & AA) as unlikely. Since IND is not a hub wouldn't it be more likely that such an IND-EU flight would be operated by an EU based carrier?
You're looking at the wrong end of the route for the hub in this case. IND is not a hub for anyone, but LHR is a hub for the AA/BA JV and AMS/CDG are hubs for the DL/KL/AF JV. For purposes of flying a possible TATL route, there's really no difference if the US or EU carriers fly the route.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I would say their best bet is an AA 757 to LHR if the subsidy is enough.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Probably should re-read my post then, considering I asked where DELTA is running IND-SEA. Last time I checked this was a DL thread, no?

The post I quoted also mentioned DL:
My mistake. I didn't zoom in on the route map. http://dl.fltmaps.com/en

There are Delta non-stops from Indianapolis to SLC, DTW, CVG, ATL, MSP, LAX, and CUN (seasonally, according to others).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I would say their best bet is an AA 757 to LHR if the subsidy is enough.
Does AA fly any TATL flights from non-hub cities besides RDU?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Just RDU I believe. I don't think IND could support anything bigger than a 757 so I don't think a BA 787 would be possible. And AA/BA would be the only one who could easily come up with a slot for the flight .
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Nope, generally BA operates those routes, though with the JV, if a 757 was most appropriate, there's no reason AA couldn't operate it. But you're right, they generally let BA handle that type of traffic currently.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ty97
Nope, generally BA operates those routes, though with the JV, if a 757 was most appropriate, there's no reason AA couldn't operate it. But you're right, they generally let BA handle that type of traffic currently.
AA also operates a seasonal BOS-CDG on a '57.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
It doesn't fit KLM's MO, but IND-AMS might work with a 787.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alex9654
AA also operates a seasonal BOS-CDG on a '57.
That is especially strange. No hub on either end.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
That is especially strange. No hub on either end.
Yep, it is odd. They may be getting some connection feed (in addition to O&D) though. AA has a fairly sizable operation out of BOS, so it kinda makes sense.

Along those lines, I think a middle-of-the-market aircraft like the 757 would be the best to start serving IND-AMS/CDG/etc. Like with what DL did at RDU, if they see enough demand (while not cannibalizing CVG), they could upgauge.

As has been mentioned upthread, Norwegian may end up starting a TATL route first.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I think MIDWESTERNFLYER was referring to people from IND who drive to ORD to catch a TATL flight, which many people I know and myself have done many times.
I think those people are few and far between. IND market people are used to connections. I am sure there are some but I guess we will probably disagree how many there are.
There isn't much of a difference between the MSAs:

CVG - 2,165,139
IND - 2,004,230

Indy's CSA is actually slightly larger:

CVG - 2,224,231
IND - 2,386,199
Good point. I didn't realize how much IND had caught up in metro size. Regardless, it isn't as small of a market as people think that it is. Just personally, I prefer MSA in the eastern half because the CSA gets rather fragmented given their relative close proximities.
Originally Posted by ty97
You're looking at the wrong end of the route for the hub in this case. IND is not a hub for anyone, but LHR is a hub for the AA/BA JV and AMS/CDG are hubs for the DL/KL/AF JV. For purposes of flying a possible TATL route, there's really no difference if the US or EU carriers fly the route.
Clearly, this is not all about a non stop route to AMS, CDG, or London for that matter. It will be important to partially fill said plane with one stop service to much of Europe.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There are Delta non-stops from Indianapolis to SLC, DTW, CVG, ATL, MSP, LAX, and CUN (seasonally, according to others).
SLC has trouble maintaining its status. It has come and gone for several years now. Also add BOS, JFK, LGA, and MCO. RSW has had service (sometimes Saturday only) and Delta still shows that on the route map but I think that has all moved to MIA and that is currently Saturday only.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by indufan
SLC has trouble maintaining its status. It has come and gone for several years now. Also add BOS, JFK, LGA, and MCO. RSW has had service (sometimes Saturday only) and Delta still shows that on the route map but I think that has all moved to MIA and that is currently Saturday only.
SLC has actually gone back to year-round, as DL added DL connection during the winter/fall/spring and DL still operates the A319/A320 during the Summer. You can add RDU as well to the list as it operates 2x daily during the work week. MIA/RSW are both still Sat only seasonal. I have seen both this summer on Delta.com
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I think a middle-of-the-market aircraft like the 757 would be the best to start serving IND-AMS/CDG/etc. Like with what DL did at RDU, if they see enough demand (while not cannibalizing CVG), they could upgauge.

As has been mentioned upthread, Norwegian may end up starting a TATL route first.
I agree on the 757 as being perhaps the most ideally suited bird to make the trip.

I don't agree on the Norwegian side, only because I think this flight will require some significant corporate demand to work well and I don't see bigger companies getting excited for an LCC to ferry their execs to/from Europe and beyond.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There are 7 Fortune 500 companies in Indiana. For comparison, there are 13 in Massachusetts (BOS), 2 in Oregon (PDX), 12 in North Carolina (RDU), and 10 in Washington State (SEA). Delta has international flights from airports in all of those other states.
Fortune 500 companies are not everything. Hubs, company contracts, etc. matter as well. DL is able to feed traffic through BOS & SEA. PDX is a key city for DL to win over in its quest to create a strong hub at SEA. The only comparable city is RDU, but even then there are corporate contracts that AA and DL fight for.

I am not saying IND shouldn't have a TATL flight, as I think 1x daily on a 752/763/788 would be logical, but it shouldn't be compared to a lot of those cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.