FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   The coach experience..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1859374-coach-experience.html)

vincentharris Aug 7, 2017 7:23 am

The coach experience.....

So crammed in coach got me to thinking. DL knows people hate them (except all the delta apologist) and flying will NEVER go back to what it used to be.

With that said I think something that could go a long way for people is if they took your jackets in coach. While not life changing it would be nice for folks who have to wear suits and your only option is be uncomfortable or put it in the overhead and pray nothing happens to it (wrinkled etc)

This is not a thread to discuss logistics of this or anything. I'm just asking would that make you feel special or better if they did it?

CyBeR Aug 7, 2017 7:26 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 28657856)
With that said I think something that could go a long way for people is if they took your jackets in coach.

And put them in what closet? There's not enough space to take everyone's coat.

bretthexum Aug 7, 2017 7:34 am

While the jacket thing is not a deal breaker for me, I agree that regular coach is just brutal. I am 6'1'' 225 lbs with fairly broad shoulders. My knees hit the seat in front of me just sitting normal. I can't imagine anyone taller even fitting. It's absolutely horrible for me.

It's an individual experience though. My wife who's 5'5'' fits just fine and doesn't mind it.

kop84 Aug 7, 2017 7:35 am

So crammed in coach got me to thinking. DL knows people hate them (except all the delta apologist) and flying will NEVER go back to what it used to be.

With that said I think something that could go a long way for people is if they took your jackets in coach. While not life changing it would be nice for folks who have to wear suits and your only option is be uncomfortable or put it in the overhead and pray nothing happens to it (wrinkled etc)

This is not a thread to discuss logistics of this or anything. I'm just asking would that make you feel special or better if they did it?

I don't think people hate DL more than any other airline...it's an industry that's easy to hate. Honestly I believe that even if DL made a dozen customer friendly updates, no change fees, free first bag, more pitch in Y, the greatest hits...people will still generally hate airlines....flights are still going to be cancelled or delayed, bags are still going to get lost, it's just the law of large numbers....people don't remember the dozen times everything went as it should, they remember the 1 time they didn't.

Plus throw in all the things the left won't let you make fun of, plus all the things the right won't let fun of, and realistically the only things 90% of people agree are ok to rip on are airlines, cable companies, and your cell phone provider, and that's about it.

but to answer your question more directly, if they took EVERYONE's jacket, then nobody's special.

DavidinDCA Aug 7, 2017 7:39 am

FAs offer to take my coat a fair amount of the time when I'm in coach, actually. (But I also do my best to avoid flying in work clothes so my sample size isn't great)

vincentharris Aug 7, 2017 7:41 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR (Post 28657866)

please read the post I clearly said this thread is not about the logistics of it. I am curious from a theory standpoint.

If if something makes sense to a business they will figure out a way

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 28657907)
I don't think people hate DL more than any other airline...it's an industry that's easy to hate. Honestly I believe that even if DL made a dozen customer friendly updates, no change fees, free first bag, more pitch in Y, the greatest hits...people will still generally hate airlines....flights are still going to be cancelled or delayed, bags are still going to get lost, it's just the law of large numbers....people don't remember the dozen times everything went as it should, they remember the 1 time they didn't.

Plus throw in all the things the left won't let you make fun of, plus all the things the right won't let fun of, and realistically the only things 90% of people agree are ok to rip on are airlines, cable companies, and your cell phone provider, and that's about it.

but to answer your question more directly, if they took EVERYONE's jacket, then nobody's special.

i don't think it's a special thing, just would be nice since suit jackets were not designed to be crumpled in an overhead bin.

I swear I was on a flight once that had little hooks on all seat backs for you to hang a jacket from but I can't remember where that was. That would be a nice compromise.

Originally Posted by DavidinDCA (Post 28657919)
FAs offer to take my coat a fair amount of the time when I'm in coach, actually. (But I also do my best to avoid flying in work clothes so my sample size isn't great)

Man you're lucky. I was going to ask if they would mind today, but their faces gave off the impression of leave us alone.

davetravels Aug 7, 2017 7:45 am

I'm just asking would that make you feel special or better if they did it?

In a word . . . . NOPE.

motytrah Aug 7, 2017 7:46 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR (Post 28657866)

Airlines used to have closet space for suit coats and jackets. Getting rid of the closet means room for more seats. PMNW planes had a bit more closet space (and bulkhead footwells!) to accommodate winter coats. All of that is long gone as cabins were refurbished.

davetravels Aug 7, 2017 7:48 am

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/dom/service...ic_seat_06.jpg

LoganFlyer Aug 7, 2017 7:56 am

Not only would it not make me feel special, it would scare me a bit as it'd be really easy to give my jacket back to the wrong person. When you're in a 16-20 person F cabin, I can watch the FAs as they hand back coats to make sure that doesn't happen, but in a 100+ person Y cabin, that's not nearly as easy to watch.

TTT Aug 7, 2017 8:55 am

Originally Posted by motytrah (Post 28657954)
Airlines used to have closet space for suit coats and jackets. Getting rid of the closet means room for more seats. PMNW planes had a bit more closet space (and bulkhead footwells!) to accommodate winter coats. All of that is long gone as cabins were refurbished.

Winter coats are an issue for sure. But the number of suited travelers has decreased significantly. Business just don't require suits as often.

Mine, unfortunately, does. But I make a point to change in the airport before getting on the plane. Much more comfortable for me all around. Changing in an airport bathroom stall, however, is a skill developed over years of practice. :)

TTT Aug 7, 2017 8:58 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 28657961)

^ These would be great!

exwannabe Aug 7, 2017 9:06 am

I would trade off all such meaningless gestures, along with the quasi food, for an extra inch in each direction.

motytrah Aug 7, 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 28658256)
^ These would be great!

Until your seat mate needs to get up and knocks it off the hook.

StayingHomeIsBetter Aug 7, 2017 9:21 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 28657961)

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 28658256)
^ These would be great!

Originally Posted by motytrah (Post 28658320)
Until your seat mate needs to get up and knocks it off the hook.

Or the jerk in the seat in front of you does a warp-speed seat recline. :p