Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The coach experience.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by CyBeR
And put them in what closet? There's not enough space to take everyone's coat.
Airlines got so obsessed with adding seats that even the 757 refurbished planes on DL only have a tiny closet now.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by bretthexum
While the jacket thing is not a deal breaker for me, I agree that regular coach is just brutal. I am 6'1'' 225 lbs with fairly broad shoulders. My knees hit the seat in front of me just sitting normal. I can't imagine anyone taller even fitting. It's absolutely horrible for me.

It's an individual experience though. My wife who's 5'5'' fits just fine and doesn't mind it.
I'm 6"2 and always willing to pay for extra legroom or J when available. My girlfriend however at 5"2 doesn't seem to mind....!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:09 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
DL coach flyer here - 5'5" so the leg space (or lack thereof) isn't too bad for me. I normally don't fly wearing business clothes so it wouldn't do much for me (though if I do, my carryon bag is usually not as tall as the bin, so there's some space on top of it to put a folded jacket). VS Y seats on the 787 have the coat hook on the seatback which was great...until I had to pull down the tray table for meal service.

For me, if they really wanted to enhance the coach experience, I'd like to get Delta Shuttle coach amenities expanded to all flights (or at least mainline flights) - newspapers at the gate, enhanced snacks, and complimentary beer & wine on board.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ryw
DL coach flyer here - 5'5" so the leg space (or lack thereof) isn't too bad for me. I normally don't fly wearing business clothes so it wouldn't do much for me (though if I do, my carryon bag is usually not as tall as the bin, so there's some space on top of it to put a folded jacket). VS Y seats on the 787 have the coat hook on the seatback which was great...until I had to pull down the tray table for meal service.

For me, if they really wanted to enhance the coach experience, I'd like to get Delta Shuttle coach amenities expanded to all flights (or at least mainline flights) - newspapers at the gate, enhanced snacks, and complimentary beer & wine on board.
I'm not convinced that people are actually buying beer/wine on a lot of flights. The last few times I've given HOOUs to FAs, they've returned them unused after service.

Might as well make beer/"wine" free.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
i don't think it's a special thing, just would be nice since suit jackets were not designed to be crumpled in an overhead bin.

I swear I was on a flight once that had little hooks on all seat backs for you to hang a jacket from but I can't remember where that was. That would be a nice compromise.
Weren't the hooks for hanging a breakfast or snack bag? I know I've still seen them on the seat back securing the tray table but, not sure what type of aircraft. Now...who makes a spiffy folding hanger you can put in your carry-on?

Lol....try the "T-Square" hanger or the "Travel Hanger" from Amazon....

Last edited by OHDL1; Aug 7, 2017 at 11:08 am
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:19 am

I've always hung my Jacket on the catch that holds the seat back tray up, presumed they were designed with a double function
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:46 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WWads
Might as well make beer/"wine" free.
Seems to me, based on reading MANY posts here, that, "whine" IS free!

Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ryw
I want a pink unicorn with golden hooves and bows in its mane.

I suspect that I will get my wish before you get yours.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Jacket doesn't seem like a big deal to me. You know that they aren't going to take it when you get on the plane so just plan accordingly (I fold mine neatly inside my rollerboard just on the very top of everything) - it's coach, it's not like some bait and switch.

Coach on DL to me is the most civilized of the legacy carriers. I go out of my way to fly DL these days after spending time in my past as both a 1K and EXP when I was a road warrior.

I just find that the Y the experience is more humane and the seats more comfortable (5'11, 160ish) than their competitors (*haven't flown the 739 in Y). I also find the J/F product is generally better both domestically and internationally vs. AA and UA (haven't flown new Polaris yet though) and the option to buy up to C+ for a relatively low amount (at least on the routes I frequent the most) is nice as well.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: united, delta, british
Originally Posted by CyBeR
And put them in what closet? There's not enough space to take everyone's coat.
Why not put coat racks in the toilets? Plenty of space there!
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
This could be me!
Attached Images  
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:20 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I want a pink unicorn with golden hooves and bows in its mane.

I suspect that I will get my wish before you get yours.
Haha, fair! Though I'm not sure how much revenue they're actually making with alcoholic beverages in Y, if any. But perhaps I should take solace in davetravels' observation that the "whine" still comes free!

That said, I've appreciated DL's soft product in Y and think it's one of the best among the legacies (especially back in the dark days when United got rid of free snacks in Y, even on transcon flights, and had pay-only IFE that would keep turning back on after you turned it off - have tried to avoid them ever since!).
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I swear I was on a flight once that had little hooks on all seat backs for you to hang a jacket from but I can't remember where that was. That would be a nice compromise.
Pretty sure that AF and KL both have coat hooks on the backs of coach seats on at least some of the single aisle planes that you connect to for intra-Europe. Not sure that solves the problem for tall people though, my extra-long coat would probably reach the floor and the chance of spilling a drink on it...
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Free wine and beer would be awesome. I'm only around 5'9 so legroom even on the tightest planes isn't too bad if not entirely comfortable. Sometimes all it takes to make me happy is a smile but sometimes even that is too hard for some to do.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Originally Posted by TTT
^ These would be great!
LLC carriers as Vueling and transavia have those actualy. Even on the side of the seat in front of you, so it hangs beside your legg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.