Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is Delta still running shuttles at LAX?

Is Delta still running shuttles at LAX?

Old Aug 1, 17, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
DL makes you checkin/drop bags at the terminal for you flight destination. (Even if flight departs from another terminal) D1 flights, JFK, ATL, and one or two others require doing bag check at T2. All other destinations require doing it at T3. There's no DL checkin at TBIT.

Unlike JFK/ATL you must check bags at the correct terminal. You can't check bags at T2 for say an Austin flight, nor at T3 for a JFK flight.
I flew flew out of LAX right after the move and was flying to OGG so checked in at T2. While waiting in SP line (which took 20 min) the guy in front of me (who was 2 PAX away from the front) asked the agent (who told everyone that this line is for SP PAX traveling to ATL/DTW/JFK/DCA/HI and INTL flights only) what about SLC. She says he will need to go to T3 to check in and he says that "he is a DM and should be able to check in wherever I want to". I would be mad too because at the time there was no signage telling PAX this (there is now) and both SP lines were very long.
Old Aug 2, 17, 9:16 am
fadynaime
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
I flew flew out of LAX right after the move and was flying to OGG so checked in at T2. While waiting in SP line (which took 20 min) the guy in front of me (who was 2 PAX away from the front) asked the agent (who told everyone that this line is for SP PAX traveling to ATL/DTW/JFK/DCA/HI and INTL flights only) what about SLC. She says he will need to go to T3 to check in and he says that "he is a DM and should be able to check in wherever I want to". I would be mad too because at the time there was no signage telling PAX this (there is now) and both SP lines were very long.
ugh just seems like a big mess. so they probably will not let me go through security there and use the shuttle. the first few days of the move seemed so well choreographed. except for TSA. Now all of these changes and restrictions.
Old Aug 2, 17, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by fnaime23 View Post
ugh just seems like a big mess. so they probably will not let me go through security there and use the shuttle. the first few days of the move seemed so well choreographed. except for TSA. Now all of these changes and restrictions.
It is the ticket counter that is restricted, not the security queues.
Old Aug 2, 17, 10:48 am

many things wrong with this

You have to check in with the operating carrier. Even though you bought the ticket through Delta, you're flying Virgin Australia. So you have to check in with them, wherever they are.

Also, for Pre Check, getting pre check corresponds to the operating carrier, not the selling carrier. Virgin Australia does not participate in pre check, so you wouldnt get pre check with them anyway.

Check in with Virgin and then walk over to the TBIT. That's how it will work. Period.

I'm flying with Virgin Australia this weekend, but purchased through Delta. I'm still trying to figure out which counter will be best to check in as Delta PM. but since I'm checking in at T2 anyways, I was hoping I get to use the TSA precheck lines and go through security in T2, then take the shuttle over to TBIT.
this is an economy ticket purchased through Delta with the Delta Amex card. is it safe to assume I will be able to access the Delta Lounge. will I be able to use any lounge in TBIT.
Old Aug 2, 17, 4:05 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by jasondc View Post
You have to check in with the operating carrier. Even though you bought the ticket through Delta, you're flying Virgin Australia. So you have to check in with them, wherever they are.

Also, for Pre Check, getting pre check corresponds to the operating carrier, not the selling carrier. Virgin Australia does not participate in pre check, so you wouldnt get pre check with them anyway.

Check in with Virgin and then walk over to the TBIT. That's how it will work. Period.
I have never flown Virgin Australia. Is it not possible to get a BP in advance? [Assuming no checked bags, I have not checked bags since I gave up skiing 15 years ago]
Old Aug 2, 17, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by wlau View Post

T2 Sky Club looks better now and there is one in each T2 and T3. They said I can use the Korean Air lounge at TB for my DL flight leaving out of TB but the Korean lounge people refused and tell me to go to DL Sky Club. I didn't have enough time, so I stayed in TB and played gate lice.
I think KE lounge might not be able to see your PDX-NRT leg just your LAX-PDX. It happened few times (don't remember exactly where) that partner lounges don't see your 'INT' routing.
Old Aug 2, 17, 9:11 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
I have never flown Virgin Australia. Is it not possible to get a BP in advance? [Assuming no checked bags, I have not checked bags since I gave up skiing 15 years ago]
Yes VA have a mobile boarding pass option. I am however unsure if they will issue one without a passport check ex-LAX. There are no kiosks at their LAX check-in. I'm guessing that you have to see an agent no matter what.

Oh, and VA like a few other foriegn airline has very strict carry-on rules. 7 kg carry-on limit, even for J. They do give some concessions for laptops, an extra 3kg I think. But although I travel light, and rarely check in the USA, I would struggle to cross the pacific with only 10kg luggage. So most people check bags.
Old Aug 2, 17, 9:17 pm

VA hasn't moved. If you bought this ticket 6 months ago the situation would have been the same. Your ticket is with VA. I'm not sure why that is so difficult to understand, but DL really doesn't have anything to do with this. They sold you a ticket but it is on another carrier completely, so they really aren't involved any further.

The only DL related item is your status and possible Skyclub access. You won't get precheck flying VA anyway, they don't participate. You'd have to see if they let you access the DL terminal with a VA ticket (probably not). If they do, then you can get SkyPriority security by flashing your card, and access the Skyclub. But you have to deal with the bus. It would be the same situation when DL was in T5 other than a bit more walking.
Old Aug 2, 17, 9:25 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
You'd have to see if they let you access the DL terminal with a VA ticket (probably not).
I believe you can access any terminal at LAX with a boarding for that day...
Old Aug 3, 17, 8:53 am
fadynaime
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer View Post
you probably just have to hear it from the TSA agent. which happened to me before. flying Delta out of T3, but going through security in T2.
Old Aug 3, 17, 9:31 pm

A bit of research and LAX confirmed this over twitter about a year ago. Good to know.
Old Aug 3, 17, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
I think KE lounge might not be able to see your PDX-NRT leg just your LAX-PDX. It happened few times (don't remember exactly where) that partner lounges don't see your 'INT' routing.
Simple, show the NRT BP.
Old Aug 3, 17, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Agreed. If one really wanted they could enter T1 with a DL or VA, or OAL BP.
Old Aug 4, 17, 12:52 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Agreed. If one really wanted they could enter T1 with a DL or VA, or OAL BP.
Back in the 90' a bunch of us from my home brewing club did an "LAX pub crawl." We went into each terminal and had the best beer we could find. I remember Terminal 1 was a Rhino Chasers "brewpub." After T2 the one woman in the group had all our keys in her purse to speed us thru the metal detectors.

Afterwards we joked that if anybody looked at the tapes we would probably look pretty suspicious

Ahh, the good old days...
Old Aug 4, 17, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Back in the 90' a bunch of us from my home brewing club did an "LAX pub crawl." We went into each terminal and had the best beer we could find. I remember Terminal 1 was a Rhino Chasers "brewpub." After T2 the one woman in the group had all our keys in her purse to speed us thru the metal detectors.

Afterwards we joked that if anybody looked at the tapes we would probably look pretty suspicious

Ahh, the good old days...
Or end up on Youtube

Search this Thread